• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2018 12:33 am
[OP]
Apr 13, 2017
71 posts
12 upvotes

Baby bed options

We are expecting our first child this fall. We are from India and spouse wants the baby to sleep in the master bedroom with us.

I see few options for baby beds: Crib, Pack n Play, Bassinet. Can you share your experience with these? Which one did you find more useful? Also, where do you put the baby in living room?
17 replies
Nov 21, 2016
305 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
We bought playard and crib.. We are using the bassinet in the pack n play playard itself. Not even opened the crib. I guess it should work for a year atleast.
Living room - Baby bjorn bouncer bliss when we can't move her to the room.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1311 posts
572 upvotes
headleygrange wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 8:24 am
We are expecting our first child this fall. We are from India and spouse wants the baby to sleep in the master bedroom with us.

I see few options for baby beds: Crib, Pack n Play, Bassinet. Can you share your experience with these? Which one did you find more useful? Also, where do you put the baby in living room?
It’s been a while, but we had all of the above.

Crib 3-1. I did find having the toddler bed option good,but it never did get converted to a full bed. This is because if you have more than one kid, the bed will never make it the final stage until the end.

Bassinet - we had one but only because it was given to us. It was okay and easy to carry around, but I didn’t think it was necessary at all.

Pack and play. - We used all the time. Get the one with the bassinet option, then you don’t need a bassinet. We used this everywhere else the crib was not. It was good for travelling, visiting, and having a spot to put the baby in different places of the house.

When the baby was in the living room, I put her on the play mat, swing, saucer, whatever.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Mar 24, 2015
768 posts
191 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
We had the 3-1 crib in our bedroom. This is where my kids slept at night and for naps. Crib is now a double bed.
Pack and play with the bassinet option was in the living room, used this for travel too. We had a play mat on a double mattress in what was going to be the kids bedroom.
No bassinet.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15020 posts
5288 upvotes
We do the bassinet in our room, then when the child is old enough we moved them to a crib in their own room.

We use a pack-and-play when we travel or the child spends time at other houses.

You'll find everyone is different and there is no right or wrong answer, It's about working with what's best for you and your family.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10066 posts
1445 upvotes
Toronto
Used bassinet for both kids. That to me is the best. Use a swaddle too. Bassinet was in the Master. Though I slept separately generally. Then at about 3 months, transition to a crib. Really, they can sleep in their own room. around then. We did that with both our kids.. own room in the crib. It'll make your life much easier if all they've really known is sleeping alone. Less separation/alone anxiety for the child, more sleep for the parents later on.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1685 posts
494 upvotes
Winnipeg
In Indian culture, moms always want to have babies by their side. I am also from India, and I would say we are on the extreme end of care and caution. However, the western world recommends cribs/bassinets till 6 months and that too with nothing inside the crib. This is because of choking hazards while in sleep, also there have been (rare) cases of moms accidentally hurting the baby in sleep. Just wanted to share the things I have heard because I think you are in same boat I was.

During our child, I was sleeping in other room. My wife was inclined to have the baby by the side on our queen bed, so that mom does not have to get up and bend down to pick up baby every now and then (less stress overall). But we decided against it, and went with crib option. Its not as painful as one would imagine. Especially if you can get the cycle going, you will know the timings when they sleep for long v/s when they are cranky. You can keep them on bed during cranky times, and go with crib when you know they will sleep.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Jan 3, 2018
37 posts
17 upvotes
I have all 3. The bassinet was great for the first 3 months because that's what they slept in while in the master bedroom. 
The crib was always in their room and is the most useful one from our experience.
The playpen is the least useful for me. It's a portable one and it sits at my parents's home so the kids could sleep it in during visits. My kids refused to be in it once they turned 8 months. 
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1702 posts
86 upvotes
Mississauga
bassinet is poitnelss...they outgrow that so fast and it is not comfortable.

we had the babies in our room as well...but ALWAYS had their crib

the playpen was in the family room, but baby was only in there temporarily as it is not comfortable for the baby (unless you add cushioning)
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1311 posts
505 upvotes
OTTAWA
amitdi wrote:
Jun 25th, 2018 4:32 pm
In Indian culture, moms always want to have babies by their side. I am also from India, and I would say we are on the extreme end of care and caution. However, the western world recommends cribs/bassinets till 6 months and that too with nothing inside the crib. This is because of choking hazards while in sleep, also there have been (rare) cases of moms accidentally hurting the baby in sleep. Just wanted to share the things I have heard because I think you are in same boat I was.

During our child, I was sleeping in other room. My wife was inclined to have the baby by the side on our queen bed, so that mom does not have to get up and bend down to pick up baby every now and then (less stress overall). But we decided against it, and went with crib option. Its not as painful as one would imagine. Especially if you can get the cycle going, you will know the timings when they sleep for long v/s when they are cranky. You can keep them on bed during cranky times, and go with crib when you know they will sleep.
Lots of us native born "westerners" keep babies in our rooms and don't use cribs either. As others said do what feels comfortable.
Aug 31, 2014
101 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just have some service where you can safely put them in while you need to go do other things, doesn’t really matter whether it’s crib, pnp or bassinet. Also be prepared that baby will not sleep in any of the above options.
Nov 23, 2015
436 posts
202 upvotes
Winnipeg
If you have room for a crib in your bedroom OP, you can dispense with the bassinet. It's nice but IMO not essential. The crib is definitely key, though. My wife preferred something a bit fancier but to my eyes, the ones at IKEA looked great and were priced very reasonably.

Our kids liked napping in the bassinet part of the 3-in-1 playard, but as others have experienced, our kids did not really like playing in the playpen part of the playard once they outgrew the bassinet. We did not use it all that much except for short periods where we needed to put the kids somewhere safe while we'd run to the bathroom, etc.

All the best with your bundle of joy, OP! :)
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
1797 posts
344 upvotes
THORNHILL
We used the Chicco Next2me bed that can be attached to the bed. We loved it and our little guy slept in it until he was 10 months old.
Jan 3, 2018
37 posts
17 upvotes
If you have to get just one, the crib is the one to get. You will get at least 2 years of usage out of it.
Congratulations :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)