Off Topic

Baby bunnies on my front lawn.. Is there anything I can do to help it?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2012 9:24 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12069 posts
1097 upvotes
Toronto

Baby bunnies on my front lawn.. Is there anything I can do to help it?

There are 5 baby bunnies there. They don't have their eyes open and they seem to be twitching and kicking in there.. Will the racoons find it and eat it? I don't see the mother rabbit anywhere. I can post some pictures later when I get back. I don't want them to die. How do i feed them?
21 replies
May 28, 2012
9034 posts
1583 upvotes
Saskatoon
I don't think you want baby bunnies on your lawn, not if you have a garden, anyway. Some idiot released rabbits in my mom's neighbourhood in Calgary and she is plagued by rabbits eating her vegetables every year. Perhaps call animal control and see what they suggest?
Aug 22, 2003
15539 posts
960 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Leave them alone. Do not touch them, if you do the mother will reject them. She's probably moving them to the new nest or you happened upon her nest.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4377 posts
1020 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2012 2:46 pm
I don't think you want baby bunnies on your lawn, not if you have a garden, anyway. Some idiot released rabbits in my mom's neighbourhood in Calgary and she is plagued by rabbits eating her vegetables every year. Perhaps call animal control and see what they suggest?
This. :arrowu:

Even for as cute and cuddly as they are, they are pests and you'll want to be rid of them.
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
584 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2012 3:52 pm
This is how to care for them.
And then this is how the mother bunny will care for him.

Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2010
2726 posts
74 upvotes
trixstar wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2012 2:23 pm
There are 5 baby bunnies there. They don't have their eyes open and they seem to be twitching and kicking in there.. Will the racoons find it and eat it? I don't see the mother rabbit anywhere. I can post some pictures later when I get back. I don't want them to die. How do i feed them?
I read that the mother rabbit goes away during the day
and comes back at night to feed her bunnies (they drink her milk???)

maybe leave a bowl of water for the mother rabbit to drink in case she's thirsty

this week has been hot outside

-
PROTECT your pet from HOT SUN/HEAT. Dogs can die of heat stroke/dehydration=panting, fast breathing. Dogs need WATER, SHADE, COOL air
http://youtu.be/rYmk2jJZGdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHgrrA1ERgo
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
17606 posts
1631 upvotes
Poormond Hill
trixstar wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2012 2:23 pm
Let the mother nature decide what happens.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14547 posts
671 upvotes
Scarborough
you don't want to actively / directly interfere with the bunnies.

you will want to indirectly get rid of them. spread some dog fur on your lawn. i can sell you some.
MOONBOX PRO:Group Buy | User Thread
H.TVBox 3 Group Buy | User Thread
TVPad4 | User Thread
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2004
2169 posts
211 upvotes
Conquistador wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2012 3:27 pm
This. :arrowu:

Even for as cute and cuddly as they are, they are pests and you'll want to be rid of them.
Sheesh. This attitude that you need to kill all living things that are an inconvenience is disgusting. Having a bunny nibbling on a vegetable garden should not require extermination.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12069 posts
1097 upvotes
Toronto
so i checked back again, and one of the baby has died. Should i remove the dead bunny? Ants are beginning to colonize the area and it may irritate the other bunnies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8103 posts
1323 upvotes
London
peano wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2012 8:05 pm
Sheesh. This attitude that you need to kill all living things that are an inconvenience is disgusting. Having a bunny nibbling on a vegetable garden should not require extermination.
Obviously written by someone that has never had a garden decimated by vermin.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4377 posts
1020 upvotes
peano wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2012 8:05 pm
Sheesh, where did I say anything about killing them? :facepalm:

Please get together with the OP and see if you can have all the bunnies in your yard.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2010
2726 posts
74 upvotes
trixstar wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2012 8:11 pm
so i checked back again, and one of the baby has died. Should i remove the dead bunny? Ants are beginning to colonize the area and it may irritate the other bunnies

I think that the bunny could have died because it's too hot / sunny outside

read this:

http://ontariospca.ca/what-we-do/humane ... dlife.html

===
PROTECT your pet from HOT SUN/HEAT. Dogs can die of heat stroke/dehydration=panting, fast breathing. Dogs need WATER, SHADE, COOL air
http://youtu.be/rYmk2jJZGdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHgrrA1ERgo
× < >