• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2017 9:01 pm
[OP]
Sep 30, 2008
643 posts
264 upvotes
Pickering

Baby Carrier Recommendations

My wife is asking for a baby carrier and I am overwhelmed with all of the choices so turning to RFDers for their thoughts, experiences and recommendations on this product category which I am completely unfamiliar with. I see brands like baby bjorn, lillebaby, ergo baby etc. but have no idea what to look for.

Main use at this time would be around the house to free up both hands while still having baby with her although I'm sure usage would increase and be more varied over time, things like going for short walks, etc. where we don't necessarily want to take the stroller along.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7795 posts
868 upvotes
The Ergo Baby Four Position 360 is one of the highest rated carriers available on the market (in Canada), unfortunately it's like the Dyson of baby carriers, quite expensive and rarely goes on sale. I managed to snag one from Best Buy on Boxing Day for $120 with an infant insert, they're normally $200+. We like ours a lot, it's quite comfortable even with a heavy child.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5029 posts
705 upvotes
We have a hipseat. I didn't think the seat would make a difference but it did. Compared to the Baby Bjorn and Infantino, the weight is distributed around the hip belt to minimize the "feel" of the baby. The drool guards and head strap work surprisingly well. Anyone who has gone backpacking with a 65/75l pack would be quite used to the fit of the hipseat.
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
Aug 10, 2004
391 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
i haven't tried a lot of brands but ended up getting the baby bjorn one when it was on sale at best buy. I've used it a bit and found it works well and don't have any complaints. i recall trying a different brand on at one of the baby shows (forgot which brand) but that one had a larger waist band than the baby bjorn one. the thicker the waist band, the more supportive it should be on your lower back, but i don't see a problem with the one that I have now.

In terms of using it around the house to free up your hands, maybe consider getting a wrap or sling instead of the carrier. the carrier is good when you're going out for walks where you're wearing the baby for a longer duration as it's more structured. But around the house, a wrap / sling is lighter and more flexible. But similar to other posters above, there are pros and cons to different brands / types of carriers so the best is to try it out in stores to see if you like how it feels.
[OP]
Sep 30, 2008
643 posts
264 upvotes
Pickering
Thanks for all of the input everyone, some very good points have been raised. Very much appreciate the suggestion on a wrap or sling as that seems like it would be able to meet our needs at the moment (around the house usage). I am leaning towards the Baby K'tan.

For longer usage such as walks I will certainly look in to the I-Angel (which I did not know about until mentioned in this thread) as well as the Ergo Baby 4 Position 360 which I was already considering. There is also a sale on the Baby Bjorn One (today only) for $129.99 which seems like a really good price but for now I think we'll just grab the Baby K'tan.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1024 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
Phat$ wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 9:59 am
Thanks for all of the input everyone, some very good points have been raised. Very much appreciate the suggestion on a wrap or sling as that seems like it would be able to meet our needs at the moment (around the house usage). I am leaning towards the Baby K'tan.

For longer usage such as walks I will certainly look in to the I-Angel (which I did not know about until mentioned in this thread) as well as the Ergo Baby 4 Position 360 which I was already considering. There is also a sale on the Baby Bjorn One (today only) for $129.99 which seems like a really good price but for now I think we'll just grab the Baby K'tan.
it's expensive, but it's worth every penny. no regret, it's unfortunate ppl don't look into i-Angel b4 purchasing their baby bijorn or ergo. my wife and i were one of the first few parents in GTA to have this (2014).... and now you see more and more ppl (asian) using i-angel.
Aug 10, 2004
391 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
I think I got the baby bjorn for around the same sale price so if you're not in a hurry to get one right away, then you can always wait for it to go on sale again and maybe take some time to check out different carriers in stores first before jumping on the first one that goes on sale. Have fun with it - I love baby wearing and baby seems to enjoy it as well as they like to be close to the parents
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13969 posts
4496 upvotes
We went with the Bjorn and have no regrets, it works great.

Like everything else though - what works and feels best for you is different from me / everyone else. See if you can borrow one from a friend and try it out - then you can truly get a good feel for what it is like. Playing with it in the store for a couple minutes may not give you a great idea, so borrowing one for a day or two might be best.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1677 posts
73 upvotes
Mississauga
There has been some discussion that certain carriers are better for a baby's hip than others. The old skool style baby bjorn carriers where the baby is supported by the crotch were generally not recommended. You're looking for something that provides better support for the hips like the Ergo, Beco, newer Baby Bjorns, etc.

Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13969 posts
4496 upvotes
jandumm wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 3:09 pm
There has been some discussion that certain carriers are better for a baby's hip than others. The old skool style baby bjorn carriers where the baby is supported by the crotch were generally not recommended. You're looking for something that provides better support for the hips like the Ergo, Beco, newer Baby Bjorns, etc.

There are many myths out there about baby carriers - one of the common ones is against the Bjorn. When you follow the instructions and adjut properly your child is not dangling by the crotch. Here is a site that can provide a little more feedback on the proper use of the Bjorn and how they found just adjusting as per the instructions eliminates the crotch dangling:
https://skeptoid.com/blog/2013/01/25/wi ... ts-health/
Sep 3, 2013
643 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
We love our Moby wrap and it was also recommended on both our prenatal and baby care classes at Sunnybrook. The Moby has only one size so you and partner can use the same one. Others go by shirt size so will likely need a second one if you're not the same size as your partner. Our baby comes out in the spring so the carrier's fabric has to be breathable and cool - reason why we went for Moby bamboo.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5029 posts
705 upvotes
The most important thing is to actually TRY the carrier.

During my wife's hoarding and buying phase, we have almost 1 of every carrier on the market. She bought a Baby K'tan, took it out of the box, decided it was too complicated to put on and promptly put it back in the box... where it's been for 3 years.

I bought a Heart2heart or something like that off Kijiji for $10. It's what all the cool hipster moms/dads were using. I thought it was fine until the fabric starting slipping off the ring. Maybe I was using it wrong.
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9656 posts
3974 upvotes
Southern Ontario
As an RFDer, I can tell you it's a short-lived expense. We had 2 Bjorns, one sport, used them sparingly with 2 kids, sold them on kijiji. In retrospect, could have saved the money. Unless it's for daily walks around the block or short hikes, you still need to carry a baby bag somehow. If you have the expendable income, go for it, if not put the money towards a nice stroller and baby bag/backpack.