Parenting & Family

Baby doesn't want to get rid of pacifier.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2018 2:33 pm
Sep 16, 2006
874 posts
171 upvotes
Pickering
gontori wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 11:31 am
My one and a half y/o baby doesn't want to leave his soother.

He looks for it particularly at bedtime. He refuses to sleep without one, and even during the night, if the pacifier falls from his mouth, with eyes closed starts waving his hands around the crib looking for it, if found, he grasps it and put it back to his mouth, if he doesn't, eventually wakes up crying.

The only way of calming him when stressed or bored and starts yelling is via the pacifier.

What other alternatives can we give him?
Dude the kid isn't even 2 yet. Let him use the pacifier for at least another year. It's not going to scar him for life or anything.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1751 posts
698 upvotes
Kitchener
We let our daughter kick the habit on her own. She probably caught on when she saw her younger brother never use the pacifier. She'd stick up to 4 pacifiers in her mouth just for the heck of it.
Well, I am not a crook.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15113 posts
5379 upvotes
kmarcie wrote:
Mar 1st, 2018 5:31 pm
I actually haven't heard this one - what does cutting off the tip do? you mean just the rounded tip of the pacifier? Is it just uncomfortable so they stop using it?
What I have heard people do is cut off the tip slowly (little by little) so that it does not shock them all at once and they don't even realize what is going on.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
622 upvotes
Toronto
gontori wrote:
Mar 1st, 2018 8:59 am
I guess we should give him more time, until he doesn't want them anymore.
The other issue is that he's teething and salivating a lot, and with the pacifier he produces even more saliva and coughs due to it when he's on his back, so we have to change his position... but then he moves again.

We have even tried to take the pacifier off his mouth, but if he's not fully asleep, he would feel it and suck it back.
It’s also a calming behaviour. It’s self soothing.
This isn’t a concern at this age.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2091 posts
268 upvotes
In another world
Thanks to all.
Now I know it's not a concern, but mostly about other folks askind the same question over and over, which made me think my baby shouldn't have one.
I'll just let him decide when.
Sep 16, 2006
874 posts
171 upvotes
Pickering
gontori wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 2:29 pm
Thanks to all.
Now I know it's not a concern, but mostly about other folks askind the same question over and over, which made me think my baby shouldn't have one.
There's a picture of me drinking milk out of a baby bottle at like 3 1/2 years old. I turned out fine. Don't worry about it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2091 posts
268 upvotes
In another world
Mistersprinkles wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 10:53 pm
There's a picture of me drinking milk out of a baby bottle at like 3 1/2 years old. I turned out fine. Don't worry about it.
LOL
Good to know Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Sep 16, 2006
874 posts
171 upvotes
Pickering
gontori wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 10:00 am
LOL
Good to know Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

I can't find the exact photo but it is from this same day. Imagine this kid with a bottle. Hell I might even have been 4. Still using a bottle.
I am a functional adult.
Feb 1, 2006
629 posts
85 upvotes
The tip of one pacifer cracked and that was that. LOL, our girl looked at it, realized she couldn't "suck" properly and she threw it to the ground.

I've had other friends who have:

Cut tip intentionally
Tied it to a balloon and said farewell - a baby in hospital needs it
Christmas or Easter - the bunny or Santa needs them to distribute to younger kids, and leave a note with a small toy.
~snow white~
Feb 25, 2018
79 posts
21 upvotes
For the beginning, try slowly weaning your little one off of his pacifier.
Restrict the use of pacifier to nap-time ONLY and not worry about getting rid of it totally.
After a couple of weeks, stop offering it at bed-time .
At first you might just remove it from the crib after your baby is asleep and has spit it out, then begin putting him down without it.
Mar 1, 2018
40 posts
4 upvotes
Make the soother extremely unappealing. Dip it in lemon juice or vinegar.
The terrible taste could turn him off the silicon "dummies" for good.
Aug 5, 2008
329 posts
172 upvotes
gontori wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 2:29 pm
Thanks to all.
I thought it was because of concerns with teeth alignment.