• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2011 1:39 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 19, 2011
12 posts
Toronto

Baby Infant Seat?

My wife & I are expecting our first child in July, just wondering which infant seat is the safest for newborns? There are so many on the market, I have been hearing mixed reviews on most infant seats.

The Peg Primo Viaggio SIP looks nice but pricey, but again the mixed reviews. Consumer Reports have the Chicco Keyfit & Maxi-Cosi Mico are the top rated.

As a first time parent, my only concern is safety. Any suggestions?
31 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15718 posts
7437 upvotes
Toronto, ON
the Peg Perego is a good car seat but be warned it is one of the heavier seats.
Jan 21, 2011
96 posts
11 upvotes
I have a Keyfit, and I like it (got it because it had lower slots & was rated from 4lbs+). The only issue I have, is that I find the seat to be heavy and dislike carrying it.

Graco seats are quite light and usually not too expensive.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
1542 posts
986 upvotes
Vancouver
rvs007 wrote: the Peg Perego is a good car seat but be warned it is one of the heavier seats.

+1

it was a chore chugging it around unless you have a stroller and adapter with it all the time. but considering the price and amount of time we used it for (2-3 months before we changed to a convertible), it was not a worthwhile investment. best in class in terms of safety and construction though. i've seen the graco ones and they were pretty flimsy in comparison.

the convertible seat i got (sunshine kids radian xt) was the same price as the peg perego, and i could easily use that for a few years.
Apr 19, 2011
12 posts
Toronto
I was considering the Peg Perego infant car seat but the mixed reviews how some people have problems with the buckles becoming loose. My wife & I don't mind the weight as it is a little sacrifice for us, the safety of our loved one.

The Chicco is good too but not alot of designs. I guess the Chicco Keyfit is pretty good alternative to the Peg.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
4927 posts
17524 upvotes
TORONTO
shoxboy wrote: My wife & I are expecting our first child in July, just wondering which infant seat is the safest for newborns? There are so many on the market, I have been hearing mixed reviews on most infant seats.

The Peg Primo Viaggio SIP looks nice but pricey, but again the mixed reviews. Consumer Reports have the Chicco Keyfit & Maxi-Cosi Mico are the top rated.

As a first time parent, my only concern is safety. Any suggestions?
Congratulations.

Even we are expecting our first baby this August, and I would really love to know more about baby infant car seats.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19235 posts
17863 upvotes
GTA, ON
Have the Peg Perego SIP. My son is 4.5mths. It's not the lightest but it is well constructed. Depends how often you actually plan to walk around holding your baby in the car seat. I only carry it from the car into the house and vice-versa. When we're out, it's from the car to the waiting stroller or vice-versa. In reality, with any car seat, are you going on tour with it in your hands?
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Apr 19, 2011
12 posts
Toronto
chimaican wrote: Have the Peg Perego SIP. My son is 4.5mths. It's not the lightest but it is well constructed. Depends how often you actually plan to walk around holding your baby in the car seat. I only carry it from the car into the house and vice-versa. When we're out, it's from the car to the waiting stroller or vice-versa. In reality, with any car seat, are you going on tour with it in your hands?

I was reading reviews online. Other parents were having issues with the loose buckles or the seat is too upright for newborns? Have you encounter any negative issues with your Peg infant seat?
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19235 posts
17863 upvotes
GTA, ON
shoxboy wrote: I was reading reviews online. Other parents were having issues with the loose buckles or the seat is too upright for newborns? Have you encounter any negative issues with your Peg infant seat?

I can't say I've found any problems with the buckle. It's secure enough I suppose. What I do find is that a lot of parents don't secure their children into the car seat enough, and this pretty much goes for all car seats. Whether this plays a role into other parent's saying the buckle is loose, I don't know. But if you were to leave the straps too loose (which you shouldn't do anyways), then I can see how the center buckle would be loose and shift. Parents need to pull the straps nice and tight. Only one finger should be able to fit in between the straps and the child's body. I see parent's with the straps so loose that its not safe if an accident occurred. So what if the child is a bit uncomfortable, its their safety. I would love to ask those parents if they would seat-belt themselves with more than a 3-finger width between the belt and their chest.

I don't think the seat is too upright. It is a minor complaint, but with our little one, we didn't really bring him out a lot in the first month, being December, and cold, and him being so small. After a month though, didn't find it to be a problem. He falls a sleep just the same in the seat.

Only thing I found to be a bit straining is the weight of the seat, but after trying a lot of seats, they're all heavy and awkward. So think safety and durability in mind. Like I said in my last post, are you planning on going on tour with it?

I do have a sticky button on one side that I have trouble depressing to unlock the handle, but that's just a minor defect in my particular seat.

My advice is just don't get the Britax Chaperone unless you have a very very big vechicle.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Apr 19, 2011
12 posts
Toronto
Wow, thanks for the detailed response. It is very detailed & informative.

Yeah all the car seats are all heavy so the weight is fine as we are planning to attach the car seat to the stroller when we go out. Like back to the parents house & to the mall.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1435 posts
127 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
shoxboy wrote: Wow, thanks for the detailed response. It is very detailed & informative.

Yeah all the car seats are all heavy so the weight is fine as we are planning to attach the car seat to the stroller when we go out. Like back to the parents house & to the mall.

You might not be saying that a couple of months in... Go to a good baby store like Moms to be and you can check out the different buckets in person. We went with the Graco because it was the lightest and because the Graco adaptor for our stroller was IMO a better design. Weight matters because the bucket becomes heavy once your child is in the bucket, and the motion you use to get your child into the bucket is generally ackward. Also, you're probably carrying a bunch of other things at the time as well.
Apr 19, 2011
12 posts
Toronto
So which stroller are you using with the Graco?
May 3, 2010
251 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
I believe the Graco will fit on most strollers out there natively or with an adaptor.

I'm also shopping for a infant car seat right now and I'm leaning towards the Graco snugride but also considering the Britax Chaperon.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
The Graco is an awesome infant car seat. It's the lightest one on the market and got really good safety reviews. I believe it's about 6.5 lbs, which makes it a few pounds lighter than the nearest competitor. Remember, there will be times that you carry the baby in th car seat with bags of groceries etc into the home. You might not think a few pounds is anything, but trust me it makes a big difference.

I'm not talking about when the husband does it, or when you're together. I'm assuming the wife is the one taking the mat leave, so consider that you've got to lift a 8-15lb baby with a 10lbs + infant seat? no thanks, the lighter the better without sacrificing safety.

The peg is also a very good seat, better fabric, fashionably a nicer looking seat. But taking the 4+ lbs difference, and not considering money, we went with a Snugride.
Apr 19, 2011
12 posts
Toronto
hey r1lee, care to share where are you reading the safety reviews? I can only find comments on Consumer Reports but they seem to be pretty old & this website called viewpoints.com.

Any other sites we can read more reviews?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
shoxboy wrote: hey r1lee, care to share where are you reading the safety reviews? I can only find comments on Consumer Reports but they seem to be pretty old & this website called viewpoints.com.

Any other sites we can read more reviews?

I don't quite remember as it's been almost 2 1/2 years since. Just doa search a you'll also find carseat sites state it as meets and exceeds safety standards set forth.
May 5, 2010
107 posts
5 upvotes
r1lee wrote: The Graco is an awesome infant car seat. It's the lightest one on the market and got really good safety reviews. I believe it's about 6.5 lbs, which makes it a few pounds lighter than the nearest competitor. Remember, there will be times that you carry the baby in th car seat with bags of groceries etc into the home. You might not think a few pounds is anything, but trust me it makes a big difference.

I'm not talking about when the husband does it, or when you're together. I'm assuming the wife is the one taking the mat leave, so consider that you've got to lift a 8-15lb baby with a 10lbs + infant seat? no thanks, the lighter the better without sacrificing safety.

The peg is also a very good seat, better fabric, fashionably a nicer looking seat. But taking the 4+ lbs difference, and not considering money, we went with a Snugride.

We went with the snugride as well. The salesperson really tried to get us to buy the peg perego -- trying to sell us on safety and it's made in italy quality, but in the end, the weight was too much for lil' me. I've read reviews from other parents complaining that their babies actually hated the peg car seat, bc it was too "tight". Makes sense w/ all the padding for safety...but all in all, if you think about it ----the snugride is just as safe!
Aug 25, 2005
862 posts
108 upvotes
mushuyoshi wrote: We went with the snugride as well. The salesperson really tried to get us to buy the peg perego -- trying to sell us on safety and it's made in italy quality, but in the end, the weight was too much for lil' me. I've read reviews from other parents complaining that their babies actually hated the peg car seat, bc it was too "tight". Makes sense w/ all the padding for safety...but all in all, if you think about it ----the snugride is just as safe!

+1. I like the Graco infant carriers. Not so much on the strollers (they are heavy compared to the competition). Keep in mind you won't be using the infant carrier for very long (I think it's 6 mo's on average).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
redac wrote: +1. I like the Graco infant carriers. Not so much on the strollers (they are heavy compared to the competition). Keep in mind you won't be using the infant carrier for very long (I think it's 6 mo's on average).

Really 6 months? All infant car seats have a min. of 22lbs and 30 inches I believe. The new ones are now 30lbs and 35 inches. If your newborn is at 22lbs at 6 months, than wow lol.
May 5, 2010
107 posts
5 upvotes
redac wrote: +1. I like the Graco infant carriers. Not so much on the strollers (they are heavy compared to the competition). Keep in mind you won't be using the infant carrier for very long (I think it's 6 mo's on average).

I agree.. the Graco strollers are big and bulky. We went with the Uppa Baby Vista w/ the Graco Adapter. Many higher end strollers give you the option of picking your own brand of car seat, which is a bonus.

As for the 6 months, it really depends on how fast your baby is growing, so you could/would definitely use it for more than 6 months :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)