• Aug 13th, 2018 6:31 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 20, 2011
407 posts
10 upvotes
Scarborough

Baby Items

Hi, I'm going to be new parent and was wondering where is the best place to buy the following items on a reoccuring basis. I tend to mostly shop at Costco or Amazon for bulk items.

1) Diapers - NB size. Pampers or Huggies

2) Wipes

3) Diaper Pail - Playtex Diaper Genie Complete

4) Diaper Rash Cream

5) Baby bottles - plastic or glass?

6) Baby Detergent for clothes

7) Baby Dish Wash for Bottles and nipples.

8) Bath supplies - Shampoo, body wash

9) Coconut Oil / Olive Oil / Baby Vaseline to care for the skin
20 replies
May 12, 2014
681 posts
290 upvotes
Markham, ON
Congrats on the new baby. Sorry your life as you know it is done.

1) If Pampers works for you, Huggies will probably not or vice versa. For Pampers, I bought from Wal-Mart or Amazon. For Huggies, the Kirkland brand can be used.
2) Costco, Kirkland when on sale or Huggies if your baby is allergic to Kirkland.
3) I don't know what this is, also your sig is Scarborough, and the green bin will take your diapers.
4) Do not buy the giant containers until you've tested the one that works for you. Get some samples before going bulk. Penaten worked for my kids so Costco was the best price.
5) Test which one your baby likes then buy a set.
6) If your baby does not have sensitive skin, a different detergent is not needed. I just used whatever I was using before the baby. If your baby has sensitive skin, time to open your pocket book if looking at any detergent with a baby on the container. I only remember Ivory Baby Detergent. A few posts on here also recommends Nellie's All-Natural Laundry Soda which on a per use basis is not pricey but you have to buy the giant tub from Costco online.
7) Nothing special needed. You whatever you're using.
8) Go with sample sizes till you know what your baby's skin can take. For me, Johnson's or Dove didn't cause irritation, so I used whichever one was on sale.
9) Test whichever one works for your baby. My kids used whatever lotion was given to us. I don't like petroleum jelly because it's only a barrier and not a moisturizer, and used Vaseline lotion, whichever one came in three packs from Costco. Coconut oil, I used only to get all the dandruff from their scalp. Don't remember what the condition is called for babies, but it looks like terrible dandruff. Generally I avoided oil because oily.
Nov 21, 2016
287 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
dainfamous41 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2018 11:02 pm
Hi, I'm going to be new parent and was wondering where is the best place to buy the following items on a reoccuring basis. I tend to mostly shop at Costco or Amazon for bulk items.

2) Wipes

4) Diaper Rash Cream

I live in downtown and accessing costco is difficult. So we use amazon subscribe and save program. We get 15% off on all s&s items and 20% off on diapers.
Another advantage is they deliver right to your doorstep, so no hassle of carrying from store.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2005
1809 posts
15 upvotes
Scaborough
sacthegreat666 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 8:59 am
I live in downtown and accessing costco is difficult. So we use amazon subscribe and save program. We get 15% off on all s&s items and 20% off on diapers.
Another advantage is they deliver right to your doorstep, so no hassle of carrying from store.
One thing to consider is with the S&S program, the prices can vary from month to month the price isn't locked in.
I found the prices of diapers/wipes at walmart basically the same price as Amazon at it's cheapest, so I just picked up whenever I needed them. Also gives you the opportunity to get out of the house....

One downside of ordering online are the constant deliveries and the noise. Nothing worse then struggling to put your baby to sleep only to be interrupted or awoken by the doorbells, alarms, people, dogs, etc....
Nov 21, 2016
287 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
goffeebeans wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 11:42 am
One thing to consider is with the S&S program, the prices can vary from month to month the price isn't locked in.
I found the prices of diapers/wipes at walmart basically the same price as Amazon at it's cheapest, so I just picked up whenever I needed them. Also gives you the opportunity to get out of the house....

One downside of ordering online are the constant deliveries and the noise. Nothing worse then struggling to put your baby to sleep only to be interrupted or awoken by the doorbells, alarms, people, dogs, etc....
I look at this as time savings. I would rather go for a walk in the park or some other place, than go to walmart and buy something (which might even be out of stock).
Regarding noise of delivery, I live in a condo with a concierge. So they accept my deliveries and I can pick it up on the way back home. But still, I feel that noise would be minimal inconvenience compared to getting the baby ready and going out to buy.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8276 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
Congratulations

6) Nellie's detergent. It's amazing for everyone in the family

https://www.costco.ca/Nellie’s-Bulk-Lau ... 34416.html

9) you need some lanolin cream, . It's magical! Any kind of strange rash etc, try it first and it usually cures it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Lansinoh-FBA_ASSP ... 7wupmxxu_e

I also recommend a hygrometer so you know how dry the room is. Then a humidifier.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2011
407 posts
10 upvotes
Scarborough
There's a Costco near me so that's not a problem.

I was just wondering, overall is Amazon S&S program for baby products cheaper overall vs. buying bulk at Costco?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4654 posts
700 upvotes
Mississauga
i only buy diapers from nf/ss or sdm (on sale combined with good optimum offer)
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3201 posts
331 upvotes
dainfamous41 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 9:32 pm
There's a Costco near me so that's not a problem.

I was just wondering, overall is Amazon S&S program for baby products cheaper overall vs. buying bulk at Costco?
I am not sure if it is cheaper as I only buy diapers using Amazon’s subscribe and save now. I used to wait for the Walmart anniversary sale and just stock up there but it was a royal pain in the butt.

With Amazom’s SS, I no longer have to lug it to my car then into the house. You just can’t beat the convenience of having it delivered to the door step. The only downside is if I buy too many of one size then I can’t return it. It’s a hassle but I just end up selling it on the Facebook mommy groups or give it to a friend or relative.
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Updated July 2018
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9925 posts
1400 upvotes
Toronto
Really, you'll figure it out as you go along. I wouldn't worry too much now. Though one thing we like is Burt's Bee's shampoo at the earlier age. Expensive as heck, but really tear-free.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1235 posts
516 upvotes
dainfamous41 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2018 11:02 pm

2) Wipes

4) Diaper Rash Cream

Congrats! I can give you some tips, but as others said, you will figure things out, and things cnahge. If you are completely sleep deprived and baby doesn’t sleep, Costco may seem to daunting of a trip. Here are my thoughts and tips.

1. Don’t get too many new born size, they are more expensive per piece and if you have a big baby, they may barely fit. Costco allows you to try a few of the Kirkland one for free. I think you can hpget a sample. Pampers or Huggies, you won’t know until the baby comes. Some it doesn’t matter, some it does. I actually found there where a few tricks to gettting a diaper to fit well regardless of brand.

My other trick was to wait until the anniversary or Black Friday sale at Walmart (I think November) and stock up. I lucked out on my second child I bought like 120 bags of diapers (yes 120 bags) because they were almost half price. I bought various sizes, and then just exchanged them for the the right size. I spent less than $1000 in diapers for my second child. Though storage Was an issue

2. Wipes. - Kirkland is almost the cheapest next to making them. I bought Kirkland (they go on sale a couple of times a year) then made my wipes for when were home. My homemade wipes were so much better and cheaper, even my nanny who later worked at a dayhome started doing that,.

3.i used a diaper pail that could use regular bags instead of refills. Can’t remember the name though.

4. Can’t rememebr

5. Glass is easier to sterilize. Again wait until baby gets home. You can also contact the manufactures as they will often give you a sample. Some babies are super fussy with bottles.

6. Regular soap is fine if no allergies, however, we use unscented environmentally friendly, it’s less harsh. If allergies, nellies or Ivory is good. Unscentd for any brand though.

7. Nothing special needed. I had a insert for my dishwasher I bought that allows to put the nipples and lids in,

8. I did whatever on sale that didn’t irritate. I think Johnson and Johnson. There was also one with a goat on it that worked well.

9. Cold press coconut oil. Both my kids had severe eczema, I tried all kinds of expensive cream. It was the unrefined coconut oil that worked best. If you need something thicker, glaxial base was the other one my dr recommended.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Apr 18, 2005
428 posts
75 upvotes
Congratulations!

1) Diapers - NB size. - Didn't buy. At the hospital, they gave us a package of diapers and we went straight to size 1 afterwards. Both my babies were 7+. Unless you have a preemie, I don't think buying NB would be useful.

2) Wipes - We made them at home. For going out and daycare, we use Pampers or Huggies unscented. I would get whatever's on sale, but leaned towards making wipes as those plastic fiber wipes never decompose. I found a good sale five years ago and still have a year's supply for daycare.

3) Diaper Pail - You need a bucket with a lid basically. I have extra kitchen compost bins from the change over to the new carts. I use the spare and empty it into the bin each night.

4) Diaper Rash Cream - Skinfix Diaper Rash Balm used for first child with sensitive skin, never used with second. It depends on the baby. One container might be too much, or too little. I would wait to see if your baby has sensitive skin first. We've never gone through one container after two children. Our doctor recommended unscented petroleum jelly. I think we never went through a full container of that either. We kept the expensive Skinfix at home and sent the petroleum jelly to daycare.

5) Baby bottles - plastic or glass? - We had both, used neither. After the first year, both children went straight to using plastic cups as it was a daycare standard.

6) Baby Detergent for clothes - Tide Free as our regular detergent. Some baby products are so heavily scented and I didn't like all the fragrance.

7) Baby Dish Wash for Bottles and nipples. - Regular is just fine. You may need a smaller brush to get into the cracks and crevices of those small bottles, and when it's sippy cup time.

8) Bath supplies - Shampoo, body wash - Skinfix Hair and Body for the oldest with super sensitive skin. If not sensitive skin, it doesn't matter. Just get the tear free ones until they stop taking baths. My friend with three small children uses Johnson's hair and body wash so she doesn't have to mess with more than one bottle.

9) Coconut Oil / Olive Oil / Baby Vaseline to care for the skin - Used Aveeno Baby unscented, but that is also my regular lotion as well.

Out of your list, we bought diapers, wipes, rash cream (once) and a hair and body wash in-one. I would add the bottle brush for the small crevices in whatever the baby drinks out of if there are plastic parts with small pieces. Everything else, we already had on hand.
Mar 27, 2011
467 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you for the tips everyone, we're also expecting our first child early next year.

Everyone keeps saying they make their own wipes. Can you please share your 'recipe' /procedure?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4654 posts
700 upvotes
Mississauga
gekaizer wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 7:46 am
Thank you for the tips everyone, we're also expecting our first child early next year.

Everyone keeps saying they make their own wipes. Can you please share your 'recipe' /procedure?
everyone?

everyone i know buy wipes... they aren't that expensive...
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1235 posts
516 upvotes
gekaizer wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 7:46 am

Cut roll of paper towel in half. Don’t use cheap paper towels, I found bounty select a size was the best. Remove the cardboard roll from the middle.

1 cup water - you can use distilled if you are really worried absolutely it bacteria or need a long per shelf life, but it’s not necessary
1 tbs baby shampoo or soap
2 tsp Baby oil
2 tsp baby lotion (optional if your baby has really dry skin, otherwise, it’s a little slick)

Boil waters, add ingredients, let cool.
Put paper towels in a container I used and old wipes container. I also find if you put the wipes in a plastic bag first then stay moist longer.
Last edited by Macx2mommy on Aug 9th, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)