Students

Bachelor of Construction Management?

[OP]
Dec 14, 2014
157 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Bachelor of Construction Management?

Has anyone here taken George Brown's Honours Bachelor of Technology (Construction Management) program? I'm thinking of transferring to it after im done my current diploma program but I'm still not completly sure. Does anyone have any experience with this program and if you would recommend it? Im currently working on my Civil Engineering Tech diploma and might consider transferring when im done. Any thoughts?
9 replies
Dec 25, 2012
43 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
I just finished my final year and I can proudly say that it was the best decision I ever made.

I had a choice between university (Uoft, Ryerson, York) and George Brown's construction management program, and I went ahead with something different and with potential.

I had no trouble finding employment, starting 2nd year and I worked full time through most of the 3rd year and then full time all through my 4th year. I currently work with a leading consulting firm, where they have only hired from universities and I was the first college student (not even a graduate) who was offered a full time position while I was in school.

The other university graduates at my company are surely smart and filled with potential, but I separate my self with the experience, knowledge and skillset which is entirely unique within the workplace.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your future endavours.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2014
157 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
zofic13 wrote:
May 14th, 2017 7:51 pm
I just finished my final year and I can proudly say that it was the best decision I ever made.

I had a choice between university (Uoft, Ryerson, York) and George Brown's construction management program, and I went ahead with something different and with potential.

I had no trouble finding employment, starting 2nd year and I worked full time through most of the 3rd year and then full time all through my 4th year. I currently work with a leading consulting firm, where they have only hired from universities and I was the first college student (not even a graduate) who was offered a full time position while I was in school.

The other university graduates at my company are surely smart and filled with potential, but I separate my self with the experience, knowledge and skillset which is entirely unique within the workplace.

Thanks. How "in demand" are graduates from this program? Second would graduating with only 4 months of the mandatory coop experience be a big disadvantage? Also did a lot of your classmates have a lot of construction experience prior to entering?
Dec 25, 2012
43 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
RE: How 'in demand' the program is? I can tell you from first hand experience that a lot of the companies specifically look for Construction Management graduates from George Brown College. This truly is a unique program, as it not only prepares you for the General Contracting industry, but also provides you with a good base for other sectors / areas within the Construction Industry.

RE: Graduating with only 4 months of the mandatory coop experience: Firstly, this is not a coop; it is a Mandatory - Work Term. Even though the college will assist you in a good capacity, do not confuse with with a Coop (where the employer gets a credit letter to knock right you off as a refund). That being said, most of the students I knew in school, started working well before the end of 3rd year and continued throughout the remaining period as part time employees. If you are proactive, the construction industry is welcoming and provides abundant opportunities to get experience and make a decent buck.

RE: Classmates with prior experience: Yes, many of my classmates had prior experience. However, these people come from a contracting background and will not act as a threat or disadvantage for your employment. Most of them are simply in the program to get a Degree, and continue with their business or work for their families. I wouldn't worry about them being your competition.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any more questions. I am happy to help :)
May 17, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
Hi my son is applying next year by his reserch he thinks that George brown construction management is better then architecture studies at university. Please if there's any more information about the course and GBC which can help us take an informed decision .
And what was the the cut off average for getting into the course for Ontario high school in the last years
May 17, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
zofic13 wrote:
May 14th, 2017 7:51 pm

Hello may I ask how you worked full time while your in third and fourth year.
Dec 25, 2012
43 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
3rd Year - about 30 hours (not exactly Full time)

4th Year - Full time (40 hours or more)

I primarily work in the Downtown area, and live in downtown. That helps me cutoff my travel time to a bare minimum. Luckily, the way our program is structured, it allows students to continue working all around the final year (8 am classes / lunch time classes / online course delivery). While it was extremely challenging to manage my schedule, the nature of my work, location and professors allowed me to work full time. This will not work if you work outside the downtown core, or commute to school. My focus was achieving good grades and excelling professionally.

It is very normal for students to continue working Part time, throughout the program (mostly 2nd year and after).
Dec 25, 2012
43 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
The average is not really high. Minimum requirements are 65%, with your U level Maths courses and English (this is an Honours Bachelors of Technology, so you will need to have your U courses). Other than that, the spots fill out quickly due to the popularity of the program in the industry. That results, in the minimum requirements probably shoot up.

If you son is looking for a research intensive / theoretically challenging program, then I would say go towards the University programs. This is a more practically / applied degree. That being said, it is not entirely an 'easy' program. If you do your work, you get rewarded; if you don't, you don't.

I would highly recommend this program. Even though I am not directly working in the construction industry, I owe a lot to this program and George Brown College.
May 17, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for your reply ,I understand it is u courses needed for the program ,this why it will be great if you know what was the actual average for last year or before for acceptance in the program to program to be ready is it in 70s ,80s.
Sorry ,for asking you are not working in construction management or I misunderstood.
Thanks
[OP]
Dec 14, 2014
157 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
zofic13 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 9:23 am
The average is not really high. Minimum requirements are 65%, with your U level Maths courses and English (this is an Honours Bachelors of Technology, so you will need to have your U courses). Other than that, the spots fill out quickly due to the popularity of the program in the industry. That results, in the minimum requirements probably shoot up.

If you son is looking for a research intensive / theoretically challenging program, then I would say go towards the University programs. This is a more practically / applied degree. That being said, it is not entirely an 'easy' program. If you do your work, you get rewarded; if you don't, you don't.

I would highly recommend this program. Even though I am not directly working in the construction industry, I owe a lot to this program and George Brown College.
Was there any math in the program, and if so was it challenging?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel