• Nov 15th, 2017 5:26 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15795 posts
469 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON

Backdoor discovered on OnePlus phones

OnePlus can't seem to catch a break, eh? Last month it was the "tracking user's personal info" debacle, now it turns out that they deliberately installed a backdoor on most of their recent phones (OP3 onwards).

Android Police: OnePlus left a backdoor in its devices capable of root access

Edit: it gets weirder and weirder. it turns out the "password" for this backdoor-hack-thingy is "angela". If you've watched Mr. Robot you know the significance of that name, lol.
4 replies
Jan 13, 2014
597 posts
156 upvotes
Calgary
A backdoor that requires USB Debugging to be enabled, and ADB to be run when the phone is connected to a computer. This will not enable 3rd party apps to maliciously gain root privileges or anything. Also, it's a Qualcomm utility, so not entirely OnePlus' fault here.

OnePlus root 'backdoor': What it is, what it isn't, and what you need to know https://www.androidcentral.com/oneplus- ... -need-know
May 8, 2009
1687 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
I think this is cool!
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
[OP]
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15795 posts
469 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:36 pm
I think this is cool!
yup but it's bad PR for OnePlus. which hurts us all in the end. I want them to succeed as a company so we have more choice! My OP3 is 13 months old now, and I love it ... I don't want companies like OnePlus to go under due to stupid decisions like this, and last month's "personal information collection" debacle.
Jan 13, 2014
597 posts
156 upvotes
Calgary
Taking back my comment about partly being Qualcomm's fault. Apparently the app has been modified quite a bit from what they provide to OEMs.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)