Automotive

Backing out in Neutral from Garage without engine on safe for the transmission?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2018 9:45 am
[OP]
Aug 22, 2012
102 posts
3 upvotes
K-W

Backing out in Neutral from Garage without engine on safe for the transmission?

Hi Everyone,

Theoretical question for you all. I live in a newer house with a single garage, but I don't want any exhaust lingering in there any more than there needs to be. I don't notice anything unusual with gas being trapped, but just as a safety habit in general (and since I didn't build the house, do the drywall, etc...who knows if any off gases could actually still enter from somewhere I can't see).

I'm wondering then, since my garage is slightly sloped out for drainage: could I simply back out the car by putting it in neutral and then, once outside, turn it on? I don't want to cause any damage to the transmission or what not (and yes, I know that by doing this, I would have no power brakes). I figure this would minimize off gases in the garage but if it's going to wreck my transmission or something...

Constructive 2 cents are always appreciated!

Mr. Gisa
83 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2445 posts
1720 upvotes
yes. It is fine, it is in neutral.

Get the house leak tested for gas if you are that concerned.
Smash that like button!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1489 upvotes
Montreal
First off.... just back out. It won’t cause harm...

Second. Don’t. Just don’t. If it’s a standard sure. But even then I don’t recommend moving With no resistance.
Jul 5, 2004
23703 posts
3211 upvotes
You won't hurt the car, just like you won't hurt your house or anyone in it by starting your car in the garage.
Oct 27, 2012
301 posts
221 upvotes
Shwa
Yes you will ruin your trannny. If you start your car you will kill your family from CO poisoning. Just buy a tesla or ride a bike. Better safe than sorry. Grinning Face
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3174 posts
2467 upvotes
The NORTH
Am i missing something? Why not open the garage door before turning on the car? if you are nose in and the garage door is open then you immediately back out once starting the car, how much 'gas' are you leaving in the garage?
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3861 posts
4014 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Going to run over an unfortunate pedestrian crossing in front of your house one day. No sound, no power assist to brakes.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
3447 posts
1659 upvotes
Just buy a good carbon monoxyde detector. It is a must if you have a fireplace, or a garage attached to the house.

And, like other said, open the door, get your car out and you're done. It'snit afew seconds that will get your family poisoned. And, if your house been built respecting regulations and the code, there is no issue, as long as the car doesn't run for a long time with door closed
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
49337 posts
14597 upvotes
I do that all the time. Honda Accord transmission is fine after seven years of doing that.

Of course I only roll the car back onto the driveway and no further, put back in P, pull up the handbrake and start the ignition.

I don't close the GDO immediately and one time let a racoon in lol.

Brilliant minds think alike.
Oct 4, 2010
373 posts
98 upvotes
Surrey
Don't you have a door between the garage and house?
Or a co2 detector?

I'm sure people are inhaling more co2 in rush hour traffic than in garage.

If you have co2 detector with measurement , compare your garage reading with your mechanical room. You might be surprised with the outcome.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1107 posts
614 upvotes
Etobicoke
matrixfwd wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 10:45 pm
Don't you have a door between the garage and house?
Or a co2 detector?

I'm sure people are inhaling more co2 in rush hour traffic than in garage.

If you have co2 detector with measurement , compare your garage reading with your mechanical room. You might be surprised with the outcome.
It is CO not CO2. Carbon Monoxide not Carbon Dioxide...huge difference
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1107 posts
614 upvotes
Etobicoke
CO is a product of incomplete combustion and is very lethal, CO2 is fissy bubbles in cola
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
2164 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto
Get a house without a garage. Problem solved!
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Jan 3, 2005
690 posts
105 upvotes
I do this all the time. There's enough residual pressure in the braking system to stop on the driveway once out of the garage and no harm to the transmission.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
11491 posts
7259 upvotes
Richmond Hill
How slanted are your garages? Cause shit I'd have to sit there in neutral and probably wait 30 secs before the car builds enough momentum to roll backwards in neutral. That said the only time I back up my car in neutral is when my kid is asleep as my car is a tad loud and the noise vibrates through the house lol