Cell Phones

Backing up pictures and videos from an iphone?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2017 9:18 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1366 posts
161 upvotes

Backing up pictures and videos from an iphone?

I tried straight copying but some of the files appear sideways or upside down. They look fine on the phone. Is there a way to back them up as intended?
10 replies
Nov 16, 2006
475 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
I use Google Photos. Unlimited storage and easy to access. iCloud is just a mirror whereas Google Photos uploads and then you can delete them from the phone so you can take more shots. Access old pictures through app or computer any time. Pretty sure it maintains the orientation of the pictures too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1366 posts
161 upvotes
xtreemboarder wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 1:21 pm
I use Google Photos. Unlimited storage and easy to access. iCloud is just a mirror whereas Google Photos uploads and then you can delete them from the phone so you can take more shots. Access old pictures through app or computer any time. Pretty sure it maintains the orientation of the pictures too.
Is there a way to retain the orientation locally on my drive?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24783 posts
2548 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
vivibaby wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 2:09 pm
Is there a way to retain the orientation locally on my drive?
Why don't you just load the picture into an editor and rotate it? Then save it in the proper orientation.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1366 posts
161 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 2:47 pm
Why don't you just load the picture into an editor and rotate it? Then save it in the proper orientation.
Cause I'd need to do it for thousands of files. I don't remember having to do this with my android.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1366 posts
161 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 11:09 pm
I don't think there is a quick solution to the problem.
Darn, I guess I have to go back to android. :(
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2003
4629 posts
5275 upvotes
Are you using any particular image viewer to view the photos on your computer? The image orientation should be in the jpeg property and most image viewers will read them and display the photo in the proper orientation.
get what is cheap, not what you need :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8188 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
your stuck, because you forced to use apple's ways. no freedom to do what you want to do.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1366 posts
161 upvotes
BB88 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 2:06 pm
Are you using any particular image viewer to view the photos on your computer? The image orientation should be in the jpeg property and most image viewers will read them and display the photo in the proper orientation.
No I just browse using file manager. It shows my android photos properly.
Dec 17, 2010
29 posts
4 upvotes
Google Photos will now automatically suggest rotation fixes for some photos.