Home & Garden

BackSplash and Fireplace Stone with builder? or DIY?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2018 2:41 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1510 posts
994 upvotes
CALGARY

BackSplash and Fireplace Stone with builder? or DIY?

Our new house will be ready in few months and we were called in to Design studio for selections. As obvious the upgrades are too expensive, we did not like the standard options. We are considering not to take the standard options and get the back splash and fire place stone ourselves, may be DIY or get a tile installer to do it. If I have to do a back splash of 40sft and Fire place stone till roof top up to 60sft how much does an installer charge if I get the material from Big Box stores?

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.6-in ... 90733.html
This exact stone for fire place was quoted $3200 by builder with installation and back splash around $1300.
5 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
You can DIY the finishes in your home of anything but, it sometimes makes sense to have it done during the construction phase. It is easier, looks more finished if incorporated during construction and, has the builders warranty if there should be a problem.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
If you do have builder leave it unfinished choose a ledgestone that has corner pieces if the fireplace area isn't flat. Many of the ledger stone products at big box don't have corner pieces, makes for a harder install and finish isn't as nice with cut edges even if you interlock/mesh at corners.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38385 posts
12009 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I would get the builder to do it.

In my first house, I didn’t want to pay for the hardwood flooring and I put it in right after I moved in, saved a lot of money, but I couldn’t find the exact hardwood used. So my hardwood didn’t match on each floor. There were other problems too. Doors had big gaps on the bottom etc.

In my current house, I opted to get the builder to put it in throughout the house. The cost was more than double, but it is much better.

Certain thugs I would do my self, fixtures etc. But something this big, I would pay the builder.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2712 posts
1058 upvotes
Builder is a rip-off. I ended up buying the exact same tile and did it myself. Also, did our own fireplace surround. Saved THOUSANDS and the job done was much better than what I've seen from my builder.

I'm surprised your house will be ready in a few months and selections haven't been locked in with the builder yet.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1510 posts
994 upvotes
CALGARY
Thanks, may be we will go with the builder to do back splash, but fire place stone is a DIY considering the price and ease of doing it after fact. We would get tilt pot lights installed by builder over fire place. Thanks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)