• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2018 11:36 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2005
1382 posts
387 upvotes

Backup Sump Pump

How many of you have backup sump pumps? Which one did you purchase (and at what cost)?

I got a quote by a local company of nearly $1K, installed, which seemed high.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1771 posts
457 upvotes
Several threads on this exist, do a search. If you're handy you could do it for less than half that price
May 28, 2007
307 posts
77 upvotes
Peterborough
Check CanTire, TSC and Hi e Hardware flyers. They usually go on sale a few times each year.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4022 posts
1340 upvotes
chrischris84 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 8:24 am
Is this a backup only for pump failure? Consider adding a battery backup or a pump that’s powered by your running water:

https://www.amazon.ca/Liberty-Pumps-SJ1 ... 885&sr=8-4

Worth the extra effort IMO. In worst case storms, power will more likely be an issue than actual sump failure
Just a note that these are useless if you’re on well water
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1031 posts
332 upvotes
chrischris84 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 8:24 am
Is this a backup only for pump failure? Consider adding a battery backup or a pump that’s powered by your running water:

https://www.amazon.ca/Liberty-Pumps-SJ1 ... 885&sr=8-4

Worth the extra effort IMO. In worst case storms, power will more likely be an issue than actual sump failure
I'm with this guy, and this is what I put in my house, but a bit different of a model:

https://www.amazon.ca/Basepump-CB1500-W ... s=basepump

I did the install myself and it was a piece of cake, this was about 5 years ago now. i check it every spring to make sure it's tuned up to run for about 45 seconds at a time. it works like a charm and i don't have to rely on electricity or batteries to be ok
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4022 posts
1340 upvotes
richardvoyageur wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 2:26 pm
I'm with this guy, and this is what I put in my house, but a bit different of a model:

https://www.amazon.ca/Basepump-CB1500-W ... s=basepump

I did the install myself and it was a piece of cake, this was about 5 years ago now. i check it every spring to make sure it's tuned up to run for about 45 seconds at a time. it works like a charm and i don't have to rely on electricity or batteries to be ok
Did you also install a backflow preventer? Or does the unit have it built in? They are required by code.

Most of the ones I’ve done require it externally
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2765 posts
304 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Red_Army wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 6:14 pm
Did you also install a backflow preventer? Or does the unit have it built in? They are required by code.

This is what I did thanks to the cities program. Total cost to me was $2k everything installed. It was the water pressure sump pump.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1031 posts
332 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 6:14 pm

I have a double check valve, do you know if that's sufficient in Ontario? You sound like you know a lot about plumbing.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2048 posts
465 upvotes
Windsor
I bought a Liberty SJ10 water-powered pump; reliable if you're on city water, and should be plenty of flow for a normally functioning sump-well. I paid something like $120 USD for it.

At the same time I bought a 1/2HP Liberty electric submersible sump; my pedestal one was loud and crappy and old. New one is nice and quiet, in case you're looking for a suggestion on that front as well. About $150 USD for that one.

Checkvalves were about $30 USD (Zoeller 30-0181). Couplings, pipe, glue ... maybe another $50 CAD. So, all said and done, my entire pit cost me about $450, plus labour to pipe it all.

Note: I generally have reliable power, so the secondary sump (for me) is largely to deal with primary pump outright failing, very infrequent power outages during an extended storm, or theoretical overload of the primary (SUPER unlikely).
Last edited by ChubChub on Sep 18th, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4022 posts
1340 upvotes
richardvoyageur wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 10:01 am
I have a double check valve, do you know if that's sufficient in Ontario? You sound like you know a lot about plumbing.
That’s more than sufficient
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4234 posts
457 upvotes
Barrys Bay
I have a basement Watchdog, installed myself - after cost of unit, battery( did lots of research and ran #'s and did a deep cell battery with usage every 5 minutes for 48 hours standby - a bit over kill) and plumbing supplies was under $450.

Already came in handy when main sub pump failed and few 8 hour power outages.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)