Careers

Is it bad to accept a job because you need the cash but dont care for the job itself?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2012 7:50 am
Tags:
None
Jan 17, 2010
950 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
Mayosandwich wrote: Ah guys sorry, i cant do this job. Holy hell its tough work! Really hard on the body. I might tough it out for the week but man oh man im not wanting to get a bad back from this

You need to be a bodybuilder for this iob.
lol I was a nursing attendant for 5+ years. Job ruined my back and my knee for a long time, seems to do it to a good majority of the guys. What's the job? You might just need to get used to it...sounds like you'll regret it if you give up now.
Banned
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
815 upvotes
Calgary
I had an accident and have a gash on my head now. Was lifting a 300lb piece with my partner and This is it, im not cut for the job. Were heading back now and parting ways.

No hard feelings from the boss he understands
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Mayosandwich wrote: I had an accident and have a gash on my head now. Was lifting a 300lb piece with my partner and This is it, im not cut for the job.
That's punny :lol:
Banned
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
815 upvotes
Calgary
Well its a brooze. I couldnt handle the 300lb table and it hit my head and then fell
Banned
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
815 upvotes
Calgary
Well im done.

The jobin case anyone wanted to know was moving and delivering high end luxury furniture to rich people. Bookcases, sofas, shelves, huge massive tables, beds, all either solid oak or marble. All the furniture they have is in the thousands, cheapest item is $275 for a kids chair up to as high as 77k for a table Super heavy duty furniture, anywhere from 100-800lbs. Most of the pieces are huge! Ive never seen a 18ft high bookshelf until today. This is what makes the job very difficult, not only is it incredibly heavy but its so big to fit in doorways or even balance in front of you. And you have to bring this stuff up stairs all the time, just you and your partner. We moved a mattress today that weights 400lbs, I didnt even know matresses that heavy even exist. You should see some of the houses today, like something from a fantasy land, mostly homes in the million dollar range. I wanted to take pics of some of them, they were so nice.

Now my biggest worry is my back, im most likely going to pay the price in the morning and what i made today, have to spend on a chiropractor.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2992 upvotes
Mayosandwich wrote: Ah guys sorry, i cant do this job. Holy hell its tough work! Really hard on the body. I might tough it out for the week but man oh man im not wanting to get a bad back from this

You need to be a bodybuilder for this iob.
Well, I, for one, am absolutely stunned. :lol:
Banned
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
815 upvotes
Calgary
Conquistador wrote: Well, I, for one, am absolutely stunned. :lol:
You should see some of the pieces, 12 ft high shelves that weigh 300lbs, dining room tables big enough for a castle. Not a job for just anyone. Lifting and carrying 600lb pieces up stairs is tough! (and you do this up to 25x a day), even worse whn the stairwells are curved or super narrow. You will crap your pants if I told you what these customers (though mind you very rich living in million dollar homes or ranches), were paying for their furniture pieces and you will piss your pants if i told you what they were paying for delivery. They pay this much, they want flawless deliveries.

Even when i had to use this one ladys washroom (whose acrige is easily in the 3M range), it was so flawless and spotless that i wiped down the counter after exessively, after washing my hands in fear she would get upset if theres water there. I walked in and i literally went holy **** it was so clean.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
I love how the weights just keep increasing.. 600lbs now is it?

No, seriously, what's the heaviest piece you lifted?
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Banned
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
815 upvotes
Calgary
No 600lbs is just an example, no way i could do that. The heaviest i did going up stairs was this gigantic piece around 300lbs and i struggled. I was fine for the first bit moving it onto the truck and off the truck but when you do this one after another, non stop, your arm strength eventually goes out and thats what happened to me. My arms turned to mush. Makes it even harder when you dont have time to eat lunch, I give these guys full props, i dont know how they do it. I cant handle going a full work day without food.
Jan 17, 2010
950 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
lol if the furniture is THAT heavy and expensive they would have had a bigger team moving them. Maybe it felt ultra heavy to you because you're just plain out of shape?
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
Mayo, if you're not cut out for physical labour, then move into a field where you use your head.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1209 posts
983 upvotes
Toronto
Mayosandwich wrote: No 600lbs is just an example, no way i could do that. The heaviest i did going up stairs was this gigantic piece around 300lbs and i struggled. I was fine for the first bit moving it onto the truck and off the truck but when you do this one after another, non stop, your arm strength eventually goes out and thats what happened to me. My arms turned to mush. Makes it even harder when you dont have time to eat lunch, I give these guys full props, i dont know how they do it. I cant handle going a full work day without food.
You gave it your best shot. No shame in trying and realizing you are not cut out for it.
Banned
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
815 upvotes
Calgary
SleepyMcGee wrote: lol if the furniture is THAT heavy and expensive they would have had a bigger team moving them. Maybe it felt ultra heavy to you because you're just plain out of shape?
No i asked about the weights and was told accordingly plus they had it on the tags. My partner was nice guy when i met him, but didnt help when he was yelling at me 3 hours later in front of the customer on the stairwell cause i was struggling.

Jruuu wrote: You gave it your best shot. No shame in trying and realizing you are not cut out for it.
Im just worried about this bruise, i wasnt able to ice it right away but did when i got home. And hope my back isnt going to hurt tommorow.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2992 upvotes
Syne wrote: Mayo, if you're not cut out for physical labour, then move into a field where you use your head.
Ojam wrote: Didn't you learn from the first time? :facepalm:

Cant handle a physically demanding job
:lol: That's exactly what I thought when I saw Syne's sage advice. It looks like OP is pitching a shut out on both counts.