• Jan 30th, 2010 12:05 am
Tags:
None
Dec 28, 2008
395 posts
3 upvotes

Bad Costco (Kirkland) battery?

Hi All,

I bought a car battery from Costco (based on the review on RFD) back in October last year for my 1999 Honda Civic.

I went out this morning toI the car, was able to unlock the car no problem, but as soon as I turned the key, nothing...no ignition light/sound. My radio lights flicker for a brief second...but after that, nothing. So much so, the battery didnt have enough juice to lock the doors. I'm assuming this is not normal considering I drove the car 2 days ago. Agreed that it's -34 with wind chill this morning, but for a battery to just die like that, it's not normal.

The only thing that was done to the car 2 weeks ago was a tune up + timing belt change. so all spark plugs, distributor cap/rotor, water pump, etc were changed...any chance something wasnt earthed causing the battery to drain?

Now, to go through my receipts to find the costco receipt that shows i purchased it just 4 months ago.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
1711 posts
12 upvotes
Central Ontario
Costco is sure to take the battery back or replace without question, however you want to get this problem looked at. Get an AVR check done at a reputable shop.

If your charging system is not working 100%, no good battery in the world is going to help you.

Also, the starter motor could be marginal causing it to draw more power than necessary. If this is the case, you'd probably not notice it during "regular" weather, only when it's really cold.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5920 posts
50 upvotes
GT-eh
Bring it back, tell them about it. The last time I went to Costco, I saw some guy brought back a Kirkland car battery. Shouldn't be an issue.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2008
395 posts
3 upvotes
JustMike wrote:
Jan 29th, 2010 9:46 am
Costco is sure to take the battery back or replace without question, however you want to get this problem looked at. Get an AVR check done at a reputable shop.

If your charging system is not working 100%, no good battery in the world is going to help you.

Also, the starter motor could be marginal causing it to draw more power than necessary. If this is the case, you'd probably not notice it during "regular" weather, only when it's really cold.
Thanks justmike... Even with a faulty starter, I should have gotten some long crank times previously... But nothing. It just died today
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19719 posts
1472 upvotes
Yeah you'll get the battery replaced but before condemning it as a bad battery, have the charging system checked and check for current leaks when the car is off. Otherwise you may just have another ruined battery on your hands a few months down the road.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
2769 posts
52 upvotes
sweetadad wrote:
Jan 29th, 2010 10:15 am
Thanks justmike... Even with a faulty starter, I should have gotten some long crank times previously... But nothing. It just died today
Maybe your alternator was not charging properly so the battery just slowly died.

They are still in warranty so it' s no problem. Last time I exchanged a kirkland battery that died with no problem. But the issue turned out to be my alternator.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
1711 posts
12 upvotes
Central Ontario
sweetadad wrote:
Jan 29th, 2010 10:15 am
As I mentioned, the starter motor could seemingly work fine when it's warm(er) but when it's cold, it's simply drawing too many amps from the battery.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
1889 posts
158 upvotes
Vancouver
On my friend's 5 year old Civic, there was an electronic component not working properly.

Another friend a year after replacing his battery on the Forerunner, the battery died. Replaced the battery. The new battery died again. Can't remember which component was causing the problem.

btw, when you return the battery, you get a full refund on the battery + taxes (I guess for usage 3 years or less) not an exchange. The battery price went up by $20 and he had to pay the environmental fee again.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2005
1513 posts
59 upvotes
Victoria
are you using an aftermarket alarm system?

they usually consume more power than stock alarms.
on my 99 civic dx hatch.. the alarm would drain the battery if i did not drive the car for a week.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2008
395 posts
3 upvotes
thanks guys for your response. There are no external alarm system that I am using. I changed the battery 4 months ago and till then I was using the original battery that came with the car (10 years old and still started in the winter without a hitch).

is there anyway I can see what brand Honda uses for their OEM batteries?
Aug 10, 2008
891 posts
55 upvotes
It will not cost you anything to bring the battery back to costco for a replacement battery

Try again with a replacement battery and if the problem repeats, it means the charging system in your car is malfunctioning

you could probably do a quick check using a multimeter and make sure the voltage is around 13-14VDC with the engine running
[OP]
Dec 28, 2008
395 posts
3 upvotes
So I got home at started the car and it fired right up with some extra cranking. After driving on the highway for 10 mins I stopped at a light and all the lights went extremly dim. Pressing on the gas helped. So yeah could be that the battery is not charged enough or the alternator is shot. Anyway to check the alternator without a ammeter?
Aug 12, 2007
528 posts
3 upvotes
sweetadad wrote:
Jan 29th, 2010 7:17 pm
So I got home at started the car and it fired right up with some extra cranking. After driving on the highway for 10 mins I stopped at a light and all the lights went extremly dim. Pressing on the gas helped. So yeah could be that the battery is not charged enough or the alternator is shot. Anyway to check the alternator without a ammeter?
1.$10 from Can tire,good investment.
Maybe cheaper at Dollar stores
2.If the battery price has not gone up,exchange for a new battery,(ask associate to show you the battery is fully charged in his voltmeter.)if battery dies within the next few days it s you r alternator , elimination RFD way.Saved $10,wasted a lot of time
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2009
4984 posts
524 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
sweetadad wrote:
Jan 29th, 2010 7:17 pm
It surely looks like an alternator or belt problem. You need a test.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2008
395 posts
3 upvotes
thanks again for all the responses....one last question. When does the battery light on the dash turn on? When the battery is toast or when the alternator is toast? or both? the last time my alternator went bad (5 years ago), my battery light was on, the temperature gauge showed a higher temperature than normal and i needed to boost the car every morning (or when the gap was greater than 8-9 hours)
× < >