Food & Drink

Bad eating habbit I noticed that MANY people have ....

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2004 12:16 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Jul 13, 2003
5232 posts
5 upvotes

Bad eating habbit I noticed that MANY people have ....

I've noticed one thing from working at a restaurant and of course the many times eating out. Why is it that whenever a dish is served instead of tasting it first why do people start sprinkling salt and pepper all over it? You don't even know how it tastes yet. The dish could very well be exactly the way you like it. How do you know that there's not enough salt? How do you know there's not enough pepper? The dish won't always taste the same. There will be days where the dish lacks one ingredient and a bit more of another. So is it like a routine to some people?

PS - I don't do this
"It's a case of mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter" - Bret Hart
17 replies
Nov 22, 2004
652 posts
Well I dono about all that.... But I gotta cover my chips in vinegar... Then well you gotta have some salt with vinegar... then wash it down with a bit more vinegar....

And by vinegar I mean malt vinegar not that namby pamby clear stuff...
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11979 posts
282 upvotes
I often pepper foods before I taste them. Never salt. First of all, you can SEE whether or not a dish has enough pepper on it, but not salt. Secondly, I like pepper, and not salt. Finally, I know they're under-peppered, because if restaurants served food with enough pepper to satisfy me to ALL their patrons, they'd go out of business :)
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
If it was fresh grind pepper, most definitely. Fresh one adds a lot of flavour to your food. If it was just off a shaker, then no. I don't do salt either unless I need it, if that
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2004
4455 posts
48 upvotes
Pepper really doesn't do anything for you anyhow. Your body just passes it through. The salt thing bugs me too though. I really hate it when I prepared a meal, and people start adding salt.. I added salt, salt is in the recipe.. Are you saying my food sucks? I hate you.

*throws plate in guests face*

:p
Aug 10, 2004
31 posts
I almost always add salt before tasting, even if I cooked the meal myself, I love salt. Only occasionally I add pepper to a meal
Sep 30, 2004
657 posts
70 upvotes
Markham
i only add pepper, to certain things of course, but as what the previous member stated, u can c if there is enough pepper or not.

but i do not add salt until after i taste it
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2003
1940 posts
281 upvotes
Toronto
i gotta add my vinegar to my chips as well
and ketchup
Nov 22, 2004
652 posts
slippy wrote:i gotta add my vinegar to my chips as well
and ketchup

Noooo!!!

Not ketchup; HP!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8285 posts
1306 upvotes
Toronto
Most restaurants have bland tasting food for my liking but i guess it is what the majority of the customers up here want or are accustomed to.

Many people have stomach ailments or other food sensitive ailments like salt induced hypertension etc and differing taste which is why i felt the blandness of restaurant food was in part to make a standard base product that even the most picky eater could enjoy without endangering the health of the food sensitive, plus seasonings like salt and pepper can always be added but cannot be taken out once added before hand.

People who are accustomed to eating at a certain places and possibly a certain item expect it to be the same standard as last time they had it and so i guess without tasting they add their favourite seasonings before digging in.

If you eat most of your meals at restaurants unlike me then i guess it becomes a habit or ritual to season before eating.
Oct 1, 2004
280 posts
having eaten cafe food everyd while living in residence i developed the habit of salt and peppering everything
nothihing had any flavour in res so i used to have to load it with both salt and pepper, now i jut do it out of habit
Deal Guru
Sep 14, 2003
10389 posts
239 upvotes
Mississauga
The worst habit I've seen (and I mean no generalization, but an observation that I have made) is immigrants that don't know how to chew with their mouths closed. Dis-gust-ing!

I saw one Japanese girl on the subway, eating a cinnimon bun, smacking each bite so that I could see everything. It was like watching a train wreck. I was disgusted, but I couldn't look away. It was like the swirl of ground cinnimon was making me sick and hypnotized at the same time.

Please, people, chew with your mouths closed!
Banned
Feb 15, 2004
10735 posts
4 upvotes
wierd, never really thought of that either. Possibly they know that its not just they way the like it because they've been here before, also foods season the most when they're hot... learned that from emeril live.

Habit ;)
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4794 posts
335 upvotes
Ancaster
danfromwaterloo wrote:The worst habit I've seen (and I mean no generalization, but an observation that I have made) is immigrants that don't know how to chew with their mouths closed. Dis-gust-ing!

I saw one Japanese girl on the subway, eating a cinnimon bun, smacking each bite so that I could see everything. It was like watching a train wreck. I was disgusted, but I couldn't look away. It was like the swirl of ground cinnimon was making me sick and hypnotized at the same time.

Please, people, chew with your mouths closed!
Actually...in Japan and I think Korea, it's considered impolite and an insult to the chef if you chew with your mouth closed. Supposed to mean that the food sucks :razz:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6009 posts
436 upvotes
BC
i cant stand people who eat like pigs.. like chewing with their mouths open.

as for the salt and pepper thing, it totally insults me when people come for dinner to my house and dose the food with salt and pepper. i feel the same way, try actually tasting the food before you do that.

its very rare that i will put salt on my food before i eat it, but i do use pepper, fresh ground only tho. i'm unsure if i do it for the taste or for how great it looks on the food.
if i am out and theres no pepper mill for me to grind fresh from, i dont use pepper. that powdery stuff just isnt the same.
That's my 2cents worth