Tags:
None
[OP]
May 27, 2010
176 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto

Bad Experience with Beyond the Rack

Anybody ever try shopping with Beyond the Rack? If not, let me explain (at a high level) how they work.

They locate various suppliers with "higher" end fashion and make spot buys to get them at a low cost and blow them out at limited quantities on the web. Sound good for those who of you who are keen enough to wake up early and buy right? Think of it like a ticketmaster type program where you get 15 minutes to decide whether or not you want to buy it, and when you buy it, it gets sold out (unless of course they have more stock).

Anyway, they recently had a blow out in Seven For All Mankind jeans, which I thought would be "okay" hot prices, but I happened to find a pair for $75, the last one in my size too, so I purchased it, got my confirmation, and since I referred a friend, got my $10 discount on top of it. Sounds great right?

Well a week later, I received an email saying that the shipment was delayed and that they would notify me when they have an update... At this point, I was still thinking, whatever, I got the jeans at a great price.

Four weeks later, I emailed customer service to follow up with my order, in less than 24 hours, they replied and told me that it was still delayed and that they would notify me with an update.

Two weeks after that (so SEVEN WEEKS AFTER THE ORDER WAS CONFIRMED), I emailed them again for an update, and they told me they canceled my order and would refund my money.

Now this doesn't seem fair to me as they took my money the day I ordered it, and if anyone knows time value of money, my money 7 weeks ago isn't worth the same as it is today right? But I wasn't after money, I wanted the jeans at that great price that they advertised at. To make things worse, they had ANOTHER Seven For All Mankind blowout sale between those 7 weeks.

Now I dug through their site, nowhere does it say that they have the right to cancel an order - in fact, it seems that they are contractually obligated to fulfill what they advertise, barring web issues, which this obviously was not.

So notwithstanding, I got my refund - one week after they said that I would be refunded (so now we're at week 8), well some of it at least. Remember that $10 credit I had used for a product that I never received? They won't refund that - even though they were the ones that couldn't fulfill the order. Does that make any sense? :mad:

So essentially... I paid for a product for 8 weeks in advance, never received the product, and lost $10 for my troubles.

So:
1) Buyer beware from this site. If a deal seems way too hot to be true, chances are, it is.
2) If you're using your referral credits to buy something, and you want to refund it, you'll probably never see that credit again.
3) Their customer service is friendly, but if you have an issue, don't expect it to get resolved.
7 replies
Sep 6, 2010
1 posts
Danville, KY
So, I have been ordering from BTR for months now, and have never had major issues with them before. I actually really liked ordering from them since they had small windows of time where things were available, altho the whole countdown clock until an item is no longer reserved for you can be annoying. I even got used to the long wait time for things to ship, afterall, every email confirming my order would warn me that they did not actually have the items in their possesion, but would have to wait until the event closed to place the order with the supplier before they could ship it out to me. (Altho I wish they could just have the supplier ship my items directly from them to me, but perhaps this is why we pay less for it in the first place). Anyways, a while back I made an order over a hundred dollars after shipping for three items: jean shorts, mortar and pestle, and collapsable wheeled cart (like the kinds city-dwellers use for shopping, since I wanted to be able to walk around my town and be able to use a cart for toting groceries and such instead of my car-- trying to be green and all). I received a confrimation email almost immediately that my order had been received, and the usual explanation of how there would be a wait and why. Then, I got an email saying my items had been shipped, all the items referred to by just the order number. I later received two of the three items: the shorts first, the mortar and pestle second. I loved the shorts, and the mortar and pestle was actually much nicer and bigger than I expected. My husband even liked them, and he usually just complains about my BTR purchases lol. Anyways, in the back of my mind, I thought, hm, I could have sworn one other item was supposed to be in this order, but I didn't sweat it, assuming I'd changed my mind about it. I had saved the emails from BTR about my order, but I hadn't thought of checking it until recently receiving an email about a recent order from BTR being shipped out, and being reminded that yes, indeed, I did remember seeing a folding cart in an email shipping receipt. So I checked my records, and sure enough, it was there. However, what was weird was that not only was it the only item I hadn't received (since July 28th when I ordered it), but it also came from the same supplier that I bought the mortar and pestle from. So, although BTR does concede it can take up to 6 weeks for your order to arrive (which is terrible), and I am only at week 5 (only! lol), how am I to expect that my cart is still on its way here, when the mortar and pestle from the same company has been here already for 2 weeks now? I called CS and waited for ten minutes, listening to updates on my queue status, only to be told that there was no one to answer my call and to leave a message, at 3 pm! 3 hrs before CS closes!!! I did leave them a message, and a piece of my mind too. I also took it upon me to email them as well, and now all I can do is wait. I had never heard of BTR until I joined FB, and thinking they were a new company, didn't even think there'd be any bad news on them yet that was substantial enough to pay attention to. I'm not a new shopper with them either, so I really hope this isn't the beginnning of the end.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
3099 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
2nd post looks like spam...the date of sign up just seems too co-incidental. Plus the fact the original thread was in July...

Never used BTR as it seems like it's invite only...
Click Here to check my HOFO Feedback
Ebay Feedback
Jun 8, 2008
506 posts
8 upvotes
I made an order from BTR before when they had a sale. My friend and I together ordered around 10 things and they all got here in around 2 or 3 weeks. Although the shipping was (really) slow, all the items did get here. And the prices were really good, so it was worth the wait. I would order from them again if I see another good deal..
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
4465 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto
utmostrose wrote:
Sep 7th, 2010 4:12 pm
So, I have been ordering from BTR for months now, and have never had major issues with them before. I actually really liked ordering from them since they had small windows of time where things were available, altho the whole countdown clock until an item is no longer reserved for you can be annoying. I even got used to the long wait time for things to ship, afterall, every email confirming my order would warn me that they did not actually have the items in their possesion, but would have to wait until the event closed to place the order with the supplier before they could ship it out to me. (Altho I wish they could just have the supplier ship my items directly from them to me, but perhaps this is why we pay less for it in the first place). Anyways, a while back I made an order over a hundred dollars after shipping for three items: jean shorts, mortar and pestle, and collapsable wheeled cart (like the kinds city-dwellers use for shopping, since I wanted to be able to walk around my town and be able to use a cart for toting groceries and such instead of my car-- trying to be green and all). I received a confrimation email almost immediately that my order had been received, and the usual explanation of how there would be a wait and why. Then, I got an email saying my items had been shipped, all the items referred to by just the order number. I later received two of the three items: the shorts first, the mortar and pestle second. I loved the shorts, and the mortar and pestle was actually much nicer and bigger than I expected. My husband even liked them, and he usually just complains about my BTR purchases lol. Anyways, in the back of my mind, I thought, hm, I could have sworn one other item was supposed to be in this order, but I didn't sweat it, assuming I'd changed my mind about it. I had saved the emails from BTR about my order, but I hadn't thought of checking it until recently receiving an email about a recent order from BTR being shipped out, and being reminded that yes, indeed, I did remember seeing a folding cart in an email shipping receipt. So I checked my records, and sure enough, it was there. However, what was weird was that not only was it the only item I hadn't received (since July 28th when I ordered it), but it also came from the same supplier that I bought the mortar and pestle from. So, although BTR does concede it can take up to 6 weeks for your order to arrive (which is terrible), and I am only at week 5 (only! lol), how am I to expect that my cart is still on its way here, when the mortar and pestle from the same company has been here already for 2 weeks now? I called CS and waited for ten minutes, listening to updates on my queue status, only to be told that there was no one to answer my call and to leave a message, at 3 pm! 3 hrs before CS closes!!! I did leave them a message, and a piece of my mind too. I also took it upon me to email them as well, and now all I can do is wait. I had never heard of BTR until I joined FB, and thinking they were a new company, didn't even think there'd be any bad news on them yet that was substantial enough to pay attention to. I'm not a new shopper with them either, so I really hope this isn't the beginnning of the end.

WALL OF TEXT CRITS FOR 40k !!
Nov 13, 2009
38 posts
3 upvotes
Quesnel BC Canada
I have heard so many things about BTR that are so negative.
I have shopped with them and it was so-so. Customer service sucks.
But the price is good. :)
I do hate how they don't keep the products there. This is a pain.
Enviius.ca which is great, also doesn't keep the products there (at least anything I have ordered)
but I like the variety and have gotten awesome things.
FranticFashion.com keeps the stock there and is Canadian but doesn't have as much selection.
I guess when you are shopping at these "one deal at a time" sites you are getting such a good
deal they figure you won't complain about anything else?
Jun 22, 2010
47 posts
I have used them. The orders ALWAYS take over a month to process. Seems like they don't have the most seamless process with their 'wholesalers'.

But something else I've noticed is that often, around the time a sale happens, the same merchandise has also popped up in Winners for the same if not lower price... just an FYI.