• May 7th, 2008 12:28 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 23, 2006
184 posts
1 upvote
Surrey

Bad experience with NCIX

I've always received good service from NCIX, but I took a chance buying something from their outlet on eBay recently and it turned out to be a bad decision.

I picked up a Hauppauge tuner card, noting that the auction stated "replacement only for defective items". I figured cool, if the card doesn't work, they will replace it.

Well, the card doesn't work. I contact NCIX and get my RMA number. I shipped it back and called today to check the status and they told me it was shipped back to the manufacturer and I was going to have to wait 2-6 weeks for repair. Thanks a lot guys. Where is the replacement?

After some other recent questionable service there, I'm doubting whether or not I should continue to buy from them. I will definitely not buy from their eBay outlet again.
40 Blu-ray / 33 HD DVD and growing!

Contest wins:
$100 HMV gift card from Scene.ca
A pair of movies passes (including soda and popcorn) from Hershey's/Giant tiger
$200 Moxie's gift card from Gallo winery
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5738 posts
1457 upvotes
I had to endure them sending it back to the manufacturer for warranty repair instead of an instant replacement.

This was due to them not having a replacement item in stock.

In the end it worked out, so have some patience.

Acanac Internet 50/10 FTTN $36 24 months; $61 afterwards
Dec 23, 2006
184 posts
1 upvote
Surrey
Still haven't heard back from them...

Contest wins:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
mystery wrote: I had to endure them sending it back to the manufacturer for warranty repair instead of an instant replacement.

This was due to them not having a replacement item in stock.

In the end it worked out, so have some patience.
It's amazing how when you send something into a shop it doesn't have another one for replacement. If this happens again, phone afterwards to inquire about purchasing a new one just to confirm.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2797 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Frankie3s wrote: It's amazing how when you send something into a shop it doesn't have another one for replacement. If this happens again, phone afterwards to inquire about purchasing a new one just to confirm.
haha...my dad did the same thing at dell when they claimed not to have any zen's left
C
spend money to save money - the theory is brilliant
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
Seeing that you got it from the outlet part of NCIX, it's a clearance item that they probably didn't have any replacements in stock. Also, it depends on the manufacturer as they may have a policy that asks for the item(s) return before giving back a replacement.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2771 posts
59 upvotes
Vancouver
Haz wrote: Seeing that you got it from the outlet part of NCIX, it's a clearance item that they probably didn't have any replacements in stock. Also, it depends on the manufacturer as they may have a policy that asks for the item(s) return before giving back a replacement.
I agree with you and I also agree/feel for the op. Unfortunately for him/her, the product was defective, but when sent back under the impression it will replaced... turns out now the buyer must wait 2-5 weeks to get it back... That should be noted in the auction... it's unfair to buy something to have it defective and now to wait a significant duration to get it.
Dec 23, 2006
184 posts
1 upvote
Surrey
I don't believe the card was a clearance item, it is a Hauppauge PVR-500-MCE OEM, which as far as I know is still in production.

What I think, and this is clearly speculation, was that a customer bought the card, returned it because it didn't work, and it was sent to their eBay outlet. I am assuming they didn't test it before putting it up for auction.

I wouldn't have a problem waiting for the replacement if it was mentioned as such on their auction. But when it says replacement for defective item, I don't think I'm out of line when I feel I'm entitled to a replacement for my card.

I've been in contact with NCIX now and am working to get the issue resolved, but they seem to be trying to bribe me by offering to replace the card once I remove the feedback that I left them. I may try and get in touch with NCIX management to discuss this, I think it's gone farther than it needs to go.

Contest wins:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
856 upvotes
Just a note on your replacement... since you bought from NCIX's outlet, you are most likely buying open box/ref item and NOT brand new. That makes it (virtually) no different than a clearance item. It really wouldn't make a lot of sense for NCIX to replace your item with a brand new one (which is more or less what you're asking for), because you are paying a lower price for it. It would make sense for NCIX to replace yours with another open box/etc card if they had one (no clue if they do tho).

Also i think you "jumped the gun" on leaving a negative feedback. It's not like NCIX sold you the card then said "too bad". They are offering you a replacement, you just need to wait. Wouldn't surprise me if NCIX got the replacement and held it for a couple weeks before sending it to you just out of spite (its only human nature).

Lastly, you really don't have a case. NCIX said replacement, they are offering you a replacement. They never said "instant" replacement so 2-6 weeks is reasonable.
Dec 23, 2006
184 posts
1 upvote
Surrey
GVRtrader wrote: Just a note on your replacement... since you bought from NCIX's outlet, you are most likely buying open box/ref item and NOT brand new. That makes it (virtually) no different than a clearance item. It really wouldn't make a lot of sense for NCIX to replace your item with a brand new one (which is more or less what you're asking for), because you are paying a lower price for it. It would make sense for NCIX to replace yours with another open box/etc card if they had one (no clue if they do tho).

Also i think you "jumped the gun" on leaving a negative feedback. It's not like NCIX sold you the card then said "too bad". They are offering you a replacement, you just need to wait. Wouldn't surprise me if NCIX got the replacement and held it for a couple weeks before sending it to you just out of spite (its only human nature).

Lastly, you really don't have a case. NCIX said replacement, they are offering you a replacement. They never said "instant" replacement so 2-6 weeks is reasonable.
I personally wouldn't complain about the item being repaired vs replaced, if the auction didn't say that it would be replaced. And personally I wouldn't care if they sent me an open box replacement, as long as it worked. But if they don't have one, and the auction says a defective card will be replaced, am I out of line thinking I should be getting a new card?

I will admit I jumped the gun when I left them negative feedback. And I did agree to withdraw it on an act of good faith once the new card arrives. They didn't offer me a replacement until I raised a stink about it, either.

Initially, they weren't offering me a replacement, they were offering to repair the card that I had sent back. I'm fairly reasonable, but if they are going to say something, I expect them to follow through with it.

Contest wins:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
856 upvotes
megahurtz wrote: I personally wouldn't complain about the item being repaired vs replaced, if the auction didn't say that it would be replaced. And personally I wouldn't care if they sent me an open box replacement, as long as it worked. But if they don't have one, and the auction says a defective card will be replaced, am I out of line thinking I should be getting a new card?

I will admit I jumped the gun when I left them negative feedback. And I did agree to withdraw it on an act of good faith once the new card arrives. They didn't offer me a replacement until I raised a stink about it, either.

Initially, they weren't offering me a replacement, they were offering to repair the card that I had sent back. I'm fairly reasonable, but if they are going to say something, I expect them to follow through with it.
You are somewhat out of line thinking you're get a new card (altho a lot of business might do that out of good faith) because the value you paid is lower than one of a new card (no clue how much you paid, but i'm sure it would've been cheaper than buying directly at NCIX).

If NCIX said they are repairing the card, odds are they are replacing it or the manufacture is replacing it. I don't think NCIX will be able to repair.