Off Topic

Bad info from Spirit Air led me to flush pet hamster down airport toilet, student says

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2018 4:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9713 posts
889 upvotes
RFD

Bad info from Spirit Air led me to flush pet hamster down airport toilet, student says

News Article: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... 71069.html

Before Belen Aldecosea flew home from from college to South Florida, she twice called Spirit Airlines to ensure she could bring along a special guest: Pebbles, her pet dwarf hamster. No problem, the airline told her.

But when Aldecosea arrived at the Baltimore airport, Spirit refused to allow the tiny animal on the flight.

With her only friends hours away at campus, Aldecosea was stuck. She says an airline representative suggested flushing Pebbles down an airport toilet, a step that Spirit denies. Panicked and needing to return home promptly to deal with a medical issue, Aldecosea unsuccessfully tried renting a car and agonized for hours before doing the unthinkable.

She flushed Pebbles.

More from the original news article: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... 71069.html
  • Belen Aldecosea, a college student from Miami Beach, says Spirit Airlines pressured her to flush Pebbles, her pet hamster, down an airport toilet.

Discuss. IMO guys everywhere should be on the lookout and avoid this individual. Just wow...
94 replies
Jan 3, 2017
308 posts
211 upvotes
The death of any animal in this regard is sad, you don't do this sort of thing to begin with but the thing you absolutely do not do is if you choose to do this sort of thing is follow up and make it public.

This girl is about to get crucified on social media and her life is about to become a living hell. Good luck with future employment and not being a social outcast for life. you would think her lawyer would have advised her on this.

A quick google search of her name shows multiple petitions for her to be charged with animal cruelty, some have over 1k signatures already and multiple news stories running the story
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9713 posts
889 upvotes
RFD
The story sounds like it's going to end very badly for the girl (hope I'm wrong). She is already unstable and all the floods of backlash pouring in hopefully doesn't cause her to harm herself. I agree with the above poster why this was ever made public in the first place, is she wanting her 15 minutes of "fame" or seeking attention?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2610 posts
178 upvotes

Why the f would you flush Pebbles down into the toilet? Man I hate stupid animal cruelty and her fake azz smile.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
16452 posts
1835 upvotes
Langley
Jesus, its just a hampster. Really just a rat with a fancier name. Not worth missing a flight over.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
17406 posts
1906 upvotes
Montreal
Emotional support on flights?

Look no further:

Feb 10, 2007
969 posts
385 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Too bad Spirit didn't have a rep like the Westjet lady that took care of the guest's pet rather than suggesting the inevitable.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
9907 posts
814 upvotes
she couldn't give the pet away? rent a uber or taxi to take the pet back?

heck, I'd donate money to her to pay for said uber cost.

but nope. she chose to kill her own pet.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4196 posts
627 upvotes
Aurora
Luckily no one told her to jump off a cliff.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2610 posts
178 upvotes
i6s1 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 12:34 pm
Jesus, its just a hampster. Really just a rat with a fancier name. Not worth missing a flight over.
Sure, just a "hampster".

Mar 27, 2015
859 posts
204 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I don't believe they told her to do any such thing and she just did it herself. She is mentally ill.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8497 posts
3158 upvotes
Toronto
Rip Hamster.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!