Off Topic

Bad info from Spirit Air led me to flush pet hamster down airport toilet, student says

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2018 4:40 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4986 posts
1597 upvotes
Kingston, ON
shikotee wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 8:51 pm
Little did they all know that Pebbles held his little breath, and began his life ankew in the down below.
Godspeed Pebbles. Salut!
Lemmiwinks, Lemmiwinks, Oh Lemmy Lemmy...
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
Disclosure - I've never had a cat or dog, and my pet ownership has been low (goldfish in the 80's).

Not sure I get the outrage against her. I assume many of you eat meat?
How do you differentiate between good and bad kill?

I think what the airline did was lousy. With that said, Spirit is a no frills low cost airline.
In general, I just hate how shitty air travel has become.
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
Mike15 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 9:55 am
Lemmiwinks, Lemmiwinks, Oh Lemmy Lemmy...
Totally.
Which reminds me - I need to catch up and watch the last couple of seasons of South Park.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7554 posts
975 upvotes
Toronto
Millenial.Say no more.
Sep 9, 2017
669 posts
348 upvotes
Winnipeg
S52B wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 11:39 pm
I read in another article that said the employee suggested her to either flush it down the toilet, or set it free outside... she chose to flush it down the toilet.
Either option would be ridiculous.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
8864 posts
1473 upvotes
兩最大
shikotee wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 9:59 am
Disclosure - I've never had a cat or dog, and my pet ownership has been low (goldfish in the 80's).

I think what the airline did was lousy. With that said, Spirit is a no frills low cost airline.
That's kinda a silly argument. For meat eaters, those are unavoidable and necessary kills, here, absolutely avoidable, not to mention quite in'humane'.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
184 upvotes
shikotee wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 9:59 am

I eat meat because I gotta eat (for good reasons).

Also she made a poor decision and from my view she saw the hamster more as a toy than a companion. This is what pisses me off.
Sep 9, 2017
669 posts
348 upvotes
Winnipeg
At first I couldn't understand why she didn't quietly abandon Pebbles in her cage somewhere in the airport and let somebody eventually find her and deal with it properly (adopt or take to the Humane Society). Then I realized she probably flushed Pebbles, but took the cage and supplies on the plane, because after all, it's cheaper to replace the "emotional support" hamster than the supplies.
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 2:08 pm
That's kinda a silly argument. For meat eaters, those are unavoidable and necessary kills, here, absolutely avoidable, not to mention quite in'humane'.
Well - unavoidable only if you insist on eating meat.
They are fattened for the slaughter, and arguably treated much worse then Pebbles.

As owner, she instigated her right over life or death.

I would not consider flushing an animal cruel.
Torturing an animal is cruel.

Don't snake owners feed them rodents similar to Pebbles?

Don't tell me this is the start of All Hamster Lives matter?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
8864 posts
1473 upvotes
兩最大
shikotee wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 3:02 pm
Well - unavoidable only if you insist on eating meat.
They are fattened for the slaughter, and arguably treated much worse then Pebbles.

As owner, she instigated her right over life or death.

I would not consider flushing an animal cruel.
Torturing an animal is cruel.

Don't snake owners feed them rodents similar to Pebbles?

Don't tell me this is the start of All Hamster Lives matter?
That's what I said, unavoidable for meat eaters. I'm well aware of livestock torture and would love to be vegan one day. Right Now, it's not practical but that's another topic.

Anyway, I really dislike the argument 'oh there's another evil, so why care about this one?'. Totally illogical.

As owner, you *don't* have unfettered rights to your Pet's life...That's why animal cruelty laws exist, to address crazy ppl such as this case and worse. Ofc it's cruel, the thing drowned and died when it didn't have to. I don't get why you don't get this simple fact.....You think it's an act of kindness?

I'm talking about this particular animal, didn't kNow that there's a Movement. Cmon w the dramatics.
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 3:09 pm
That's what I said, unavoidable for meat eaters. I'm well aware of livestock torture and would love to be vegan one day. Right Now, it's not practical but that's another topic.

Anyway, I really dislike the argument 'oh there's another evil, so why care about this one?'. Totally illogical.

As owner, you *don't* have unfettered rights to your Pet's life...That's why animal cruelty laws exist, to address crazy ppl such as this case and worse.

I'm talking about this particular animal, didn't kNow that there's a Movement. Cmon w the dramatics.
The airline put the squeeze on her, which resulted in her having to make a rubbish choice.
A person who is flying on a thrift airline almost certainly has financial limits.
My guess is her decision was based on not being able to afford losing that ticket (and attending a medical appointment).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
8864 posts
1473 upvotes
兩最大
shikotee wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 3:19 pm
The airline put the squeeze on her, which resulted in her having to make a rubbish choice.
A person who is flying on a thrift airline almost certainly has financial limits.
My guess is her decision was based on not being able to afford losing that ticket (and attending a medical appointment).
I get that...I also get she was also under a lot of stress and pressure...But that's the *last* thing I'd do. Like I said, so many better choices, e.g. Tell sob story to ppl at the airport, maybe there will be a good samaritian. Heck, even leave it and the cage w a note is better than guaranteed death.