Off Topic

Bad info from Spirit Air led me to flush pet hamster down airport toilet, student says

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2018 4:40 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3843 posts
500 upvotes
GTA
shikotee wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:46 pm
I believe I was trying to get you to qualify your use of vapid terminology.
Happy holiday.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2011 posts
253 upvotes
In another world
shikotee wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 9:15 am
Baltimore, end of November.
Let hamster loose is also a death sentence.
Who can't think?
Well, it doesn't take much thinking to guess if outside conditions are not suitable for the hamster, why not letting it in its cage in a room, and perhaps some people would call the animal control department. The girl would have a better state of mind and peace knowing it wouldn't be her to have killed (or maybe not) the animal but those guys to decide its fate.
What I mean is that there are other options, not just the toilet.
Mar 5, 2006
708 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
Just a quick search on google I find in general these animals aren't allowed on buses or trains.
https://www.certapet.com/traveling-with ... nd-tricks/
http://emotionalsupportanimals.org/2015 ... rt-animal/
And yet, some airlines takes them??

Was thinking with how fast planes goes, and the stress the animal will go through (the Gs, turbulence, etc.), will these people who depend on their animal go berserk if the animal dies from the stress mid flight?
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
gontori wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:01 pm
Well, it doesn't take much thinking to guess if outside conditions are not suitable for the hamster, why not letting it in its cage in a room, and perhaps some people would call the animal control department. The girl would have a better state of mind and peace knowing it wouldn't be her to have killed (or maybe not) the animal but those guys to decide its fate.
What I mean is that there are other options, not just the toilet.
I think it is safe to assume that she did not make this choice easily.
My guess would be that it is highly illegal to let an animal loose in the airport.

I just don't get why so many of you are fixated in crucifying her.
Ultimately, she was in a crappy situation, and felt forced to make a crappy choice.
She likely regrets this choice, now that she is able to think about.

Instead of judging her, I'm basically trying to understand the event from her perspective.

Have most of you forgotten what it is like to be young and make stupid mistakes?

Judging her from the perspective of a financially secure adult doesn't make sense to me.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1352 posts
408 upvotes
London
shikotee wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 2:03 pm
I think it is safe to assume that she did not make this choice easily.
My guess would be that it is highly illegal to let an animal loose in the airport.

I just don't get why so many of you are fixated in crucifying her.
Ultimately, she was in a crappy situation, and felt forced to make a crappy choice.
She likely regrets this choice, now that she is able to think about.

Instead of judging her, I'm basically trying to understand the event from her perspective.
What doesn't seem to be discussed is that there really are two issues here.
1. She chose to end the hamster's life.
2. She chose to end it in a cruel manner.

#2 isn't being discussed, perhaps because it is viscerally less palatable.

IF she has made the choice to end the life, then I think she has a duty to do so in as painless and cruelty free way as possible.
Drowning in the sewer system is not it.

A simple hard stomp, or a knife/pen through the brain would be a much more humane method.
People don't think on that level however.
I've probably offended somebody just by posting this, because it hits an emotional chord rather than intellectual.

Although I don't really agree with her #1 choice, it is really #2 that offends me the most.
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
arisk wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 2:40 pm
What doesn't seem to be discussed is that there really are two issues here.
1. She chose to end the hamster's life.
2. She chose to end it in a cruel manner.

#2 isn't being discussed, perhaps because it is viscerally less palatable.

IF she has made the choice to end the life, then I think she has a duty to do so in as painless and cruelty free way as possible.
Drowning in the sewer system is not it.

A simple hard stomp, or a knife/pen through the brain would be a much more humane method.
People don't think on that level however.
I've probably offended somebody just by posting this, because it hits an emotional chord rather than intellectual.

Although I don't really agree with her #1 choice, it is really #2 that offends me the most.
Too funny.

So not only is she stupid for making the choice, but also she really sucks at killing?

If I had to kill, I'd choose flush over any of the options you offered.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1352 posts
408 upvotes
London
shikotee wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 2:48 pm
Too funny.

So not only is she stupid for making the choice, but also she really sucks at killing?
Yes, however she makes up for it by being really good at causing suffering.
If I had to kill, I'd choose flush over any of the options you offered.
Why?
Same reason as above?
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
arisk wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 6:22 pm
Yes, however she makes up for it by being really good at causing suffering.

Why?
Same reason as above?
I would consider flushing merciful.

I would imagine those who think otherwise have wide experience with killing, either through hunting, fishing, or raising animals. I'm a city boy who never even had pets. I don't hunt or fish. I'd likely go flush because that is what many people do with small (dead) pets.
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
321 posts
59 upvotes
shikotee wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 6:30 pm

I would imagine those who think otherwise have wide experience with killing, either through hunting, fishing, or raising animals. I'm a city boy who never even had pets. I don't hunt or fish. I'd likely go flush because that is what many people do with small (dead) pets.
Maybe it would help if you thought about it for yourself - I don't believe that being flushed down a septic tank system to die is "merciful" and small (dead) pets are not equivalent to live pets. I think burying small dead pets is more appropriate.

I appreciate you speaking up for this kid.

J/
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
5838 posts
3105 upvotes
It’s been a long dayyyy ... without you my hamster ... and I’ll tell you all about it when I see you again ...
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1354 posts
256 upvotes
WTH? Where am I?

Is this an origin story for Master Splinter?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
18378 posts
2032 upvotes
Montreal
utopianbl wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 7:59 pm
WTH? Where am I?

Is this an origin story for Master Splinter?
Wrong rodent.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2011 posts
253 upvotes
In another world
shikotee wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 6:30 pm

I would consider flushing if my pet is a fish, not a rodent.
Depending on the flushing system it could either pass through the pipes safely, get stuck and/or get body damage if the pressure in flushing is too strong (meaning the hamster would die in agony).
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
gontori wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 8:51 am
I would consider flushing if my pet is a fish, not a rodent.
Depending on the flushing system it could either pass through the pipes safely, get stuck and/or get body damage if the pressure in flushing is too strong (meaning the hamster would die in agony).
How long would you expect a hamster to stay alive after the flush? My guess would be it would die/drown fairly quickly, but I legit do not know how long a hamster can hold breath under water. Flushing isn't the same as drowning it in a bucket of water, where there would be much more suffering as the hamster would be in a state of panic trying to stay afloat, eventually succumbing. I see the flush scenario as a quick drop and flush. The hamster would be sucked underwater immediately, and would drown very quickly. My guess is the suction pressure/vacuum would expedite asphyxiation?

I'm not a plumber - am I making mistakes in my conceptualization?

I highly doubt i would ever flush a live hamster (in any scenario), but if forced to choose, this is why I would think flushing is merciful.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2011 posts
253 upvotes
In another world
shikotee wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 9:28 am
How long would you expect a hamster to stay alive after the flush? My guess would be it would die/drown fairly quickly, but I legit do not know how long a hamster can hold breath under water. Flushing isn't the same as drowning it in a bucket of water, where there would be much more suffering as the hamster would be in a state of panic trying to stay afloat, eventually succumbing. I see the flush scenario as a quick drop and flush. The hamster would be sucked underwater immediately, and would drown very quickly. My guess is the suction pressure/vacuum would expedite asphyxiation?

I'm not a plumber - am I making mistakes in my conceptualization?

I highly doubt i would ever flush a live hamster (in any scenario), but if forced to choose, this is why I would think flushing is merciful.
To answwer your question, I don't know. I'm not a plumber either, however this plumbing website recommends not to do it:
Ten Things You Should Never Flush Down Your Toilet
3. Small Pets

It's typical for the little goldfish to be flushed at the end of its life, but small rodent pets, like hamsters and gerbils, have also been flushed down the drain before. Regardless of if you've done it before, or if you've heard through your sister's best friend that they are small enough to flush, these tiny bodies can do quite a number on your plumbing.