Bad Neighbors - Fight Fire with Fire

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2018 4:55 pm
[OP]
Aug 26, 2007
39 posts
29 upvotes

Bad Neighbors - Fight Fire with Fire

A wise man once said that arguments try to decide who is right, while discussions try to decide what is right. Neither was the intent of my post. Just tried to help those who may be going through the same shit.
Last edited by spass on Dec 9th, 2018 10:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2697 posts
357 upvotes
Didn't read OP is it the same dude that complained about garbage bins in his air space?
Apr 6, 2008
677 posts
299 upvotes
I would have moved long ago. I get what you're saying, but there's a point when you get tired of petty crap. I can't even see my neighbours...downright bliss.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3692 posts
532 upvotes
Please elaborate on what things you saw on the camera.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3019 posts
1318 upvotes
Couldn't read the whole thing as my eyes would implode but dumb advice because your neighbour will believe that they are just as much right as you are and will be standing up for themselves the same as you.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3019 posts
1318 upvotes
spass wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 7:29 pm
Curious to hear what you would do.
spass wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 4:22 pm
5. I installed cameras around the perimeter of the house. I could give you dozens of examples on how they make your neighbors behave like good neighbors but my fingers are getting tired. I'll just say, these cameras payed for themselves over and over, and I've seen things I wish I didn't have to see. Funny things... creepy things... ridiculous things. Even illegal things.
I would round up the neighbours and run the alleged pedophile out of town.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
3025 posts
776 upvotes
BC
My neighbor in the back put in a canopy and outdoor couches and a small fridge outside their back door. She entertains ALL the time during decent weather. No problem, everyone has a right to enjoy their property. - The problem? - She has a laugh like a hyena and its also a bit of a scream laugh ..and she does it OFTEN. I don't think she can help herself it seems to be just part of her normal conversation habits or something.

It drives us nuts and is enough to go through closed windows and pull you out of your own conversation or movie that you happen to be watching. What should we do in this case? She's not breaking any laws and is just enjoying her yard - but she is absolutely preventing us from doing the same.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5118 posts
2046 upvotes
Paris
This reads like it was written by a narcissist or sociopath.

Are you upset their sound waves were over your airspace violating your ear holes? What happens if a plane flies over? Do you own a SAM battery?
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8267 posts
6764 upvotes
Oakville
Sounds like you a have a youtube channel on your hands. Why don't you post these interesting youtube videos?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9876 posts
1811 upvotes
Montréal
Good read. it's pretty sad there aren't many nice neighbors these days. The main thing is to be reasonable, nice is a bonus. It shouldn't be that hard to be a decent or at least an not intrusive but apparently it is nowadays.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7223 posts
1465 upvotes
Mississauga
Feegus wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 8:00 pm
My neighbor in the back put in a canopy and outdoor couches and a small fridge outside their back door. She entertains ALL the time during decent weather. No problem, everyone has a right to enjoy their property. - The problem? - She has a laugh like a hyena and its also a bit of a scream laugh ..and she does it OFTEN. I don't think she can help herself it seems to be just part of her normal conversation habits or something.

It drives us nuts and is enough to go through closed windows and pull you out of your own conversation or movie that you happen to be watching. What should we do in this case? She's not breaking any laws and is just enjoying her yard - but she is absolutely preventing us from doing the same.
Lol! Record her annoying laugh and play it on loop non-stop in her direction.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Jun 13, 2009
926 posts
174 upvotes
Short version of OPs post - Is your neighbour doing something annoying? Then find a way to annoy them 100x more and they will stop.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
3025 posts
776 upvotes
BC
spass wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 8:44 pm
2. Alternatively, do something perfectly legal to annoy her and make her leave. I am sure she can get annoyed too. I've read somewhere where a guy had a chatty old lady across the fence who loved talking loudly on the phone on her back yard for hours. No reasoning helped so the guy installed a couple of whether proof speakers on his backyard and would play some annoying music (experimental jazz IIRC) when she was out there yapping. Eventually she stopped or started talking quietly or something like that. Some people won't budge until they get a taste of their own medicine I guess. Sad but true.

If you want to get really creative, install a mic on the back yard and a speaker, echoing her hyena laugh back to her. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Raggie wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 11:33 pm
Lol! Record her annoying laugh and play it on loop non-stop in her direction.
We were very close to doing something like this this past summer. Thing is, is just such an aggressive line in the sand move. We need this to stop but really don't want to spark a war. It won't be much fun spending our time in passive aggressive battle mode either.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8267 posts
6764 upvotes
Oakville
tranquility922 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 9:21 pm
Good read. it's pretty sad there aren't many nice neighbors these days. The main thing is to be reasonable, nice is a bonus. It shouldn't be that hard to be a decent or at least an not intrusive but apparently it is nowadays.
I can't really recall having any really bad neighbours, even growing up as a kid. My worst neighbour is the one that makes me feel guilty because he often clears much of my side of the sidewalk when it snows.
The worse ever was when I was in a condo, and the guy above passed out in the shower, flooding his place and ours below. Called the concierge who found him in the shower and caller paramedics. Never got a sorry or thank you from him.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)