• Aug 11th, 2009 9:06 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 18, 2008
665 posts
4 upvotes
waterloo

Bad signs of phone interview

When employers does pre-screen interviews (initial) by surprise....

do they schedule an in-person interview date at this pre-screen phone interview or not?

what does it mean if they say they will call back in a couple weeks? why not schedule it now? what if they don't schedule anything? are these bad signs?
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5252 posts
191 upvotes
Calgary
its not a bad sign as they wouldnt usually be in a position to make their decision right away and thats why they will say you will hear back later...

its a good idea to ask them the timeframe for this...also if you dont hear anything you should followup anyways...you never know these days and you really have nothing to loose...
Aug 11, 2005
624 posts
2 upvotes
It varies from company to company. I usually found that "surprise" phone calls that last a few minutes or less usually ask if you're available for an on-site interview.

With long phone interviews, HR can take awhile before notifying if you have moved onto the next step.
[OP]
Dec 18, 2008
665 posts
4 upvotes
waterloo
Thanks for your replies.

They actually told me to wait for a couple weeks until they call back to schedule an in-person interview. They asked me a few questions and that was it. They asked if i have any references but i honestly told them that i don't have any. Might have lost my chance right here. I guess companies nowadays won't hire anyone without references these days. :(
Aug 11, 2005
624 posts
2 upvotes
That's sounds like a tough break. Is there any way you can create a reference list? Whether it be professors, past employers, colleagues?

Either way, keep your head up high and keep trucking. We're rooting for you.
Sep 17, 2003
143 posts
16 upvotes
Winnipeg
Thats probably what did it. Even if they did invite you to an interview and you scored very highly, the last stage is reference checks. If nobody can vouch for your work, its a risky gamble that employers aren't willing to take a chance on.

If you don't have professional work references, consider building references through relationships such as volunteering, professional associations, and pure networking.

Before applying for any position, be sure to have references already confirmed because you don't know how fast or slow the hiring process will take.

Good Luck!
Smog wrote:
Aug 11th, 2009 7:42 pm
Thanks for your replies.

They actually told me to wait for a couple weeks until they call back to schedule an in-person interview. They asked me a few questions and that was it. They asked if i have any references but i honestly told them that i don't have any. Might have lost my chance right here. I guess companies nowadays won't hire anyone without references these days. :(
[OP]
Dec 18, 2008
665 posts
4 upvotes
waterloo
thanks for replying bananaman.

The interesting thing is that I am getting some interviews or at least phone interviews for almost every job I apply to. Employers call immediately a day or 5 days after my submission. I get stuck when it comes to references! I'm done with school and professors don't remember me. I worked at some company (very short) but didn't really get along (not solid relationship) with my supervisor. So I'm out of luck at the moment. Every time I think about this situation makes me depressed. It's just 1 more step but it end at the reference stage.

bananaman wrote:
Aug 11th, 2009 8:14 pm
That's sounds like a tough break. Is there any way you can create a reference list? Whether it be professors, past employers, colleagues?

Either way, keep your head up high and keep trucking. We're rooting for you.
[OP]
Dec 18, 2008
665 posts
4 upvotes
waterloo
Simply speaking, basically without references, there is no chance to enter the real world?

I want to hear interesting stores of people/graduates who entered the workplace without a single reference or without any work experience.

gerbear wrote:
Aug 11th, 2009 4:18 pm
Thats probably what did it. Even if they did invite you to an interview and you scored very highly, the last stage is reference checks. If nobody can vouch for your work, its a risky gamble that employers aren't willing to take a chance on.

If you don't have professional work references, consider building references through relationships such as volunteering, professional associations, and pure networking.

Before applying for any position, be sure to have references already confirmed because you don't know how fast or slow the hiring process will take.

Good Luck!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5252 posts
191 upvotes
Calgary
you have to be able to get some references even if its a co worker, teacher or just someone you have worked with in some capacity...
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1132 posts
94 upvotes
Smog wrote:
Aug 11th, 2009 8:34 pm
Simply speaking, basically without references, there is no chance to enter the real world?

I want to hear interesting stores of people/graduates who entered the workplace without a single reference or without any work experience.
When I switched jobs to my current job, no references were contacted.

That was because I switched jobs, and my previous employer did not know I was looking. It was out of common courtesy for my new employer not to alert my previous employer.
Sep 17, 2003
143 posts
16 upvotes
Winnipeg
I wouldn't say there is no chance, but many of the larger organizations will not employ someone without proper reference checks. If the organization has a human resources department, you can bet they will be conducting reference checks. On a side note, HR checks are also conducted via Google with what comes up with your name. Employers now google your name to find anything on you from social sites like facebook, myspace, friendster, twitter so make sure your online profile is clean or at least set to private.

If its a small startup company where you were referred by another employee, you may be able to get away from a reference check because you've been referred.

You don't necessarily need a direct manager to be your work reference. If you were part of a project run by a project manager, you can use the project manager as a reference. You can try volunteering if you have no prospects at all.

Good Luck and don't give up!

Cheers!

Smog wrote:
Aug 11th, 2009 8:34 pm

Oct 27, 2006
382 posts
2 upvotes
I was stuck in a similar situation. The best way to get references is through volunteering. Good Luck! :)
× < >