• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2010 5:49 pm
Tags:
None
May 5, 2007
94 posts
3 upvotes

Bad time to buy a MacBook?

Is it a bad time to buy a MacBook right now?

More specifically I'm looking at the 13.3" 2.53ghz Pro and I can get it for a pretty good price at around $1100.

I've heard rumours that new models will be announced around April. Do you suggest I wait? Or should I jump on that deal?

Also, am I able to upgrade the ram and hdd on this model in the future?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
4059 posts
812 upvotes
Windsor
Bad time to buy a Macbook Pro for sure, since the new models were due in January....

If you can, I'd wait and see what happens....

You may still end up getting one of the older models if there's nothing compelling in the new ones for you, but at least it will be at a reduced price!
May 5, 2007
94 posts
3 upvotes
^Thanks for the link
G77 wrote: Bad time to buy a Macbook Pro for sure, since the new models were due in January....

If you can, I'd wait and see what happens....

You may still end up getting one of the older models if there's nothing compelling in the new ones for you, but at least it will be at a reduced price!
How much do the older models usually drop in price?
As I can get the model mentioned above for about $1100 tax incl.

Which seems like a very good price to me and is the reason I was asking about upgrading ram and hd. As I'm just wondering if it would be a better option to buy now and upgrade later.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
4059 posts
812 upvotes
Windsor
dkwan20 wrote: ^Thanks for the link

How much do the older models usually drop in price?
As I can get the model mentioned above for about $1100 tax incl.

Which seems like a very good price to me and is the reason I was asking about upgrading ram and hd. As I'm just wondering if it would be a better option to buy now and upgrade later.
That's a pretty good deal - way below even what a refurb would go for.... Where's it from? Or can't you say? :D

If you're not bothered about having the latest and greatest then go for it.... Ram and HDD are not too bad to change I believe, loads of guides on how to do it on youtube.....

OSX is pretty good on supporting previous hardware for upgrades, so it should last you a good few years...
May 5, 2007
94 posts
3 upvotes
So I wasn't able to get the 2.53ghz for $1100, but I got this instead:

1 month old
2.26ghz Pro
Upgraded 4gb Ram & 500gb HD
Office 2008
Magic Mouse

All for $1200

Opinions on the deal?
Sep 23, 2005
189 posts
5 upvotes
dkwan20 wrote: So I wasn't able to get the 2.53ghz for $1100, but I got this instead:

1 month old
2.26ghz Pro
Upgraded 4gb Ram & 500gb HD
Office 2008
Magic Mouse

All for $1200

Opinions on the deal?
Excellent! Where can I get me a deal like that?!
May 5, 2007
94 posts
3 upvotes
meetmeinouterspace wrote: Excellent! Where can I get me a deal like that?!
Got it off craigslist, basically still has a full year warranty and i got the receipt from the seller and he paid all cash so I know it wasn't bought using a stolen credit card.
He included the original ram/hd, plus Office was legit, so thats an extra $200 of savings.

Yup, I'm pretty happy. :)