• Jan 15th, 2019 11:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2367 posts
496 upvotes
Ottawa

With As Bad As USA cars are..

Why is it that almost every house in smaller towns has an American car parked in the driveway? And I’m not speaking of Jbody land out there in Oshawa.

I’m talking about towns like Elmira, Drumbo, Woodstock etc. And it’s not older cars in older homes, it’s newer cars in newer homes.

For all the grief that American cars get here, they sure seems to be a hit with the small towners. Is it because they are so anti-import, they’d rather deal with unreliable domestic brands rather than switch to tried and true overseas brands? Some of which are made in North America.

I drive an Acura made in Maryland. FWIW.
62 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4897 posts
3960 upvotes
Montreal
Low cost leasing

Zero down finance

Big incentives
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3394 posts
896 upvotes
markham
AtlsNBP wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 5:27 pm
Why is it that almost every house in smaller towns has an American car parked in the driveway? And I’m not speaking of Jbody land out there in Oshawa.

I’m talking about towns like Elmira, Drumbo, Woodstock etc. And it’s not older cars in older homes, it’s newer cars in newer homes.

For all the grief that American cars get here, they sure seems to be a hit with the small towners. Is it because they are so anti-import, they’d rather deal with unreliable domestic brands rather than switch to tried and true overseas brands? Some of which are made in North America.

I have news for you...ALL new cars are reliable..sure a few have their isolated issues and that happens across the board...but all new cars are reliable..now when get to 8, 10 and older...there are those that have their opinions..and my thoughts about your observations are that north american companys offer more value for a new car...not to mention the indy garages are fewer in rural areas ..and less likely to use aftermarket parts..so oem on imports can be a lot more in price,,,also you show a bias in your posts as you seem to think imports are more reliable..lol
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5320 posts
1521 upvotes
Space
Domestics aren’t as bad as some people think or stereotype. If you take care of them they’re just as reliable as the rest of the pack. There are many reasons why people choose domestics: Rural or small towns almost always have domestic branded dealers only. Hence the disproportionate amount of domestic brand vehicles. They like the styling of said vehicle, they would rather support an American brand vs others, they’re cheaper than imports etc etc.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3672 posts
3597 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cheaper to insure, but mostly because those small towns have only a GM/Ford dealer within 50km and their neighbor's son/daughter works there.
Apr 29, 2017
377 posts
515 upvotes
City dwellers who think they're so sophisticated and above rural humans are the only ones who perpetrate the myth that American cars spend every other week in the shop and die when they hit 100k, yet a majority never owned one because they buy into the myth, a portion of them own German cars that really do spend every other week in the shop, but enjoy the hot receptionists and lattes they get for free in the service department. The other portion swear by Honda and Toyota and think the japanese are above capitalism and dream they are built by Samurai and yakuza and yet they lease for 4 years and never get to experience if their car is reliable or not.

These are also the most vocal people online, as they are cubical dwellers who think muffler bearings are a real part.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29499 posts
2263 upvotes
Winnipeg
tesla is a US car, and it sells like hot cakes.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29499 posts
2263 upvotes
Winnipeg
prochargedv8 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 6:03 pm
City dwellers who think they're so sophisticated and above rural humans are the only ones who perpetrate the myth that American cars spend every other week in the shop and die when they hit 100k, yet a majority never owned one because they buy into the myth, a portion of them own German cars that really do spend every other week in the shop, but enjoy the hot receptionists and lattes they get for free in the service department. The other portion swear by Honda and Toyota and think the japanese are above capitalism and dream they are built by Samurai and yakuza and yet they lease for 4 years and never get to experience if their car is reliable or not.

These are also the most vocal people online, as they are cubical dwellers who think muffler bearings are a real part.
drove a ford car before, it was 9 years old and had lots issues with fuel pump and transmission. Now that my next car will be a EV, I'm ok with any manufacturer as EV is new tech which resets the reliability records.
Dec 15, 2017
859 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
Its a cultural thing, old white people love Buicks and GM's, rural people can't get enough of them. Like old italians they love their big american clunckers, not only here in the GTA but also in Brooklyn. Portuguese love their Volkswagen Jettas and Golfs.
Feb 25, 2015
399 posts
156 upvotes
ON
Simply because they have dealerships in small towns.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2191 posts
696 upvotes
Calgary
AtlsNBP wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 5:27 pm

According to Consumer reports you drive the 13th most reliable brand out there. So you yourself could have chosen one of the other 12 brands that are more reliable!
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1765 posts
506 upvotes
Kitchener
whats is a domestic car now a days anyway? Hyundai's, Honda's, Toyotas, Vw's are generally made in North America. Some of the models may be still made outside but most have plants in NA so their the same as their "domestic" competitors. 20 years ago one could argue that there was a domestic vs import but now a days 80% of all cars are made in North America.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
2977 posts
2060 upvotes
Oakville, ON
There are approximately 472 Ford dealers in Canada. GM has a similar number. They’ve been operating in Canada for about 100 years.

Honda has 237 + 51 Acura dealers = 288 while Toyota has 285 including Lexus. They’d only been operating in Canada for 50 years or so.

Most of the difference in dealer numbers is in the smaller towns and cities across Canada. And an extra 50 years of doing business here has the domestics more ingrained into the fabric of communities. Both factors give them a big advantage outside of the major urban areas.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2005
4613 posts
1895 upvotes
Toronto
Out of the 24 months that I’ve had my Focus, just over a month of it was spent at the dealership for warranty work, I know the same can be said about any other brand too.

The fit and finish is atrocious compared to some of my older Japanese cars. There’s a rattle in my hatch door that’s developed within a year and I’ve asked the dealer to take care of it when I had it in for another warranty issue and they said there was nothing wrong/couldn’t find the problem (I’ll blame the dealership for not fixing it). It’s also disheartening that Ford oks there being a half inch gap between the interior trim pieces so you can see the paint of the doors.

I also find the attitude with ford dealerships in my area is you should take your car back to where you bought it to have it serviced/warranted.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
1575 posts
1528 upvotes
GTA
Do you have any statistics about domestic car reliability compared to other makes?

I drive a Honda, btw.