• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2019 6:00 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
2107 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto

Bahamas cruise, or Playa Mujeres all inclusive

I have zero flexibility for this trip, only have September 1-8, I have narrowed it down to NCL 5 day Bahamas cruise from Port Canaveral from 2-7 giving me 1 day travel time on both ends , I like all inclusives but for Bahamas most places are European plan no meal, especially Atlantis properties.
Next option is Playa Mujeres, since it keeps popping up on various threads, all inclusive 5 star available from 1300 pp, to about 1800, RIU Dunamar, RIU palace and Grand Palladium are almost the same price on Expedia, while Secrets, Dreams and Finest are about $1700, searching various sources to find out the latest on Sargassum front before booking.
I know its hurricane season and I will buy insurance from whichever agent I use, e.g., Transat, Sunwing , Sunquest, please help me decide and feel free to pitch in with better options than these two.
Looking for relaxing on the beach while the 2 twenty somethings do all sorts of land and water activities. Lastly good and ample vegetarian food.
Public Mobile
Tangerine
Flashfood app
Swagbucks
15 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
2107 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
Was really hoping to have some inputs especially with regards to Playa Mujeres from anyone who has been there, some feedback regarding the resorts. Doesn't seem like Sargassum is affecting that area, checking various sources but so far no clear confirmation.
Public Mobile
Tangerine
Flashfood app
Swagbucks
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
2107 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
MonctonMan wrote: OP, if you have 0 flexibility you shouldn’t be going to somewhere in the middle of hurricane season. Insurance doesn’t cover hurricanes.
I recall paying about $50 pp to Sunwing when I booked an all inclusive to Cuba with them last year with the understanding that I could cancel 48 or may be even 24 hours before the trip for any reason, was hoping to pay the same this time for peace of mind just in case of hurricane threat or any other unforeseen circumstance.
Public Mobile
Tangerine
Flashfood app
Swagbucks
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
loonie wrote: I recall paying about $50 pp to Sunwing when I booked an all inclusive to Cuba with them last year with the understanding that I could cancel 48 or may be even 24 hours before the trip for any reason, was hoping to pay the same this time for peace of mind just in case of hurricane threat or any other unforeseen circumstance.
That is only available with Sunwing. They will refund you in Sunwing dollars that expire in one year. For cash it is 45 days prior. And not going to help you if you leave and the weather develops while there,
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
2107 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
MonctonMan wrote: That is only available with Sunwing. They will refund you in Sunwing dollars that expire in one year. For cash it is 45 days prior. And not going to help you if you leave and the weather develops while there,
Thanks for the clarification, I will keep it in mind, also the CC I will use will have some coverage ( TD VISA Infinite, or CIBC Aventura etc.) but the bottom line is that we do want to get away that week and I am more worried about Sargassum ruining the trip.
Last summer we booked the Cuba trip with less than a week to go and no hurricane threats and still bought the no questions asked insurance from Sunwing, just in case.
Since the busy summer season will be over I can book closer to the date after checking for potential hurricane threats, meanwhile I just want to nail down the resort and keep an eye out for the price drops or special offers, like room upgrades.
Do repeat clients get any benefits or upgrades with Sunwing?
Public Mobile
Tangerine
Flashfood app
Swagbucks
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
In Mexico right now been here for nearly a week. Trying to get home tomorrow.

Can confirm there’s no seaweed issues in Playa Mujeres and Isla Mujeres (where I have split my time this week).

In Playa Mujeres would look at the Dreams\Secrets or the TRS Coral/ Pladdium

Not a fan of the short Bahamas cruises (been on Majestry of the Seas and NCL Dawn) if you have been on the bigger/newer ships they tend to use the older ships for those routes.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2001
2039 posts
1455 upvotes
Toronto
Did you get a look at Grand Palladium Costa Mujeres Resort And Spa? Any good?
BrunetteGirl wrote: In Mexico right now been here for nearly a week. Trying to get home tomorrow.

Can confirm there’s no seaweed issues in Playa Mujeres and Isla Mujeres (where I have split my time this week).

Not a fan of the short Bahamas cruises (been on Majestry of the Seas and NCL Dawn) if you have been on the bigger/newer ships they tend to use the older ships for those routes.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
lurker99 wrote: Did you get a look at Grand Palladium Costa Mujeres Resort And Spa? Any good?
Actually stayed at the TRS Coral (adults only section attached) for the first time. Last time (fall 2018) the resort was not even open to the public yet. Very impressed. Should still be on “opening specials” right now.

I would still give the slight edge to Dreams for overall quality though. But the price is likely a lot more.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12347 posts
5403 upvotes
BrunetteGirl wrote: Actually stayed at the TRS Coral (adults only section attached) for the first time. Last time (fall 2018) the resort was not even open to the public yet. Very impressed. Should still be on “opening specials” right now.

I would still give the slight edge to Dreams for overall quality though. But the price is likely a lot more.
are the beaches about the same or is one better than the other?
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
blexann wrote: are the beaches about the same or is one better than the other?
I’d say the the Finest- Excellence - Beloved - Dreams - Secrets - TRS/ Palladium are about the same (they are somewhat in a row).

- the only exception being the new Riu resorts (they are further down). I haven’t been there to comment on the beaches so I don’t know what it is like.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
2107 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
BrunetteGirl wrote: In Mexico right now been here for nearly a week. Trying to get home tomorrow.

Thanks for taking time on your vacation to pitch in @BrunetteGirl , nothing like the input of someone who's there right now to confirm the seaweed situation. Plus you have a ton of experience with all these places.
I got so frustrated trying to get a CLEAR picture that I started looking at Punta Cana and Panama as options. Seems like DR has taken a big hit due to negative reviews for certain incidents and the prices are slashed by almost half.
As for Grand Palladium, various agencies are showing between 1400 and 1500 for Sept. first week while TRS is a $100 more.
Among Sunquest or Sunwing or Transat, Westjet, is one better than the others? I used Sunwing and it was fine.
Public Mobile
Tangerine
Flashfood app
Swagbucks
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
loonie wrote: Thanks for taking time on your vacation to pitch in @BrunetteGirl , nothing like the input of someone who's there right now to confirm the seaweed situation. Plus you have a ton of experience with all these places.
I got so frustrated trying to get a CLEAR picture that I started looking at Punta Cana and Panama as options. Seems like DR has taken a big hit due to negative reviews for certain incidents and the prices are slashed by almost half.
As for Grand Palladium, various agencies are showing between 1400 and 1500 for Sept. first week while TRS is a $100 more.
Among Sunquest or Sunwing or Transat, Westjet, is one better than the others? I used Sunwing and it was fine.
It’s hard because it’s Mother Nature so ya anything can change. But given its geographic location (across from Isla Mujeres) that is also seaweed free I wouldn’t be worried. You can always do a day trip excursion to Playa Norte (THE BEST beach in that area imho)

TRS will be more since it’s adults only and gives you access to both sections (if you aren’t going with kids that would be my recommendation).

Honestly they are all the same- it’s a 3.5 hour flight. Transat & Sunwing & AC include checked baggage (Westjet does not - Sunquest it depends). I have flown with all of them down to CUN this year alone - never had a notable delayed flight or issue to speak of.

Breathless Punta Cana is not on Bavaro Beach it’s way up past the Hard Rock (Uvero Alto) so darker sand / rougher waters. It’s probably my least fave Breathless (the one in Montego Bay is my fave).

Panama does not have the greatest beaches (unless you go to one of the islands but no AI there). Lots to do in Panama but hardly a beach vacation if that’s what you are after.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5186 posts
1829 upvotes
Mississauga
I'd choose AI. Besides the private islands and Atlantis, there's not much to do in the Bahamas.