Travel

Bahn - Train between Frankurt and Munich?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2019 10:43 am
Tags:
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10913 posts
1064 upvotes
Mississauga

Bahn - Train between Frankurt and Munich?

I'll be visiting Germany next month and would like to take the train from Frankfurt to Munich.

Trying to navigate the bahn.de website trying to figure out what the best option is?

1. I know if I book in advance, it is significantly cheaper, but what happens if my flight is delayed? The ticket is basically useless?

2. I know for 2nd class tickets, you can reserve a seat for 5 euros, but that doesn't include the actual ticket for the train? So what's the point of reserving just a seat?

3. I'm flying with Condor so I can purchase a Rail & Fly ticket which includes I guess any train, but if the train is full, then I'll have to take the next one?

4. If I'll have my luggage with me, will it be stored separately or there will be room to keep it with me at my seat (big suitcase)?

Thanks!
9 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1811 posts
2410 upvotes
BC
Tijuana wrote: I'll be visiting Germany next month and would like to take the train from Frankfurt to Munich.

Trying to navigate the bahn.de website trying to figure out what the best option is?

1. I know if I book in advance, it is significantly cheaper, but what happens if my flight is delayed? The ticket is basically useless?

2. I know for 2nd class tickets, you can reserve a seat for 5 euros, but that doesn't include the actual ticket for the train? So what's the point of reserving just a seat?

3. I'm flying with Condor so I can purchase a Rail & Fly ticket which includes I guess any train, but if the train is full, then I'll have to take the next one?

4. If I'll have my luggage with me, will it be stored separately or there will be room to keep it with me at my seat (big suitcase)?

Thanks!
We were in Germany last summer and had some experience taking trains between different cities. The easiest way to find the fare-savers is to look under the tab "Offers" and click on Saver Fare Finder. Be careful regarding the particular station you choose as there is more than one Frankfurt station (Main HBF is the City Centre, Flughafen is the airport)

1. The cheap Saver fares are for specific trains so if you miss it, it's useless. Conductors come on board every train and check all tickets.
2. 2nd class seats are generally a free for all as few people reserve seats. When a train pulls into a station, it is a mad scramble to find an open seat, especially during peak hours. Reserving a seat gives you a place to sit, otherwise, if the train is full you could be standing or sitting in the aisles like on a bus for hours.
3. Don't know
4. Luggage can be a bitch as you have to take it with you. There are overhead bins slots above the seats but on a full train it can be a challenge. Try to travel light as possible.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
There are various different trains. The fastest ones are the ICEs (inter city express?), with the slower long-distance train being IC (intercity) and EC (eurocity). You don't want to take local and regional trains, even if you could.

The cheap tickets are non-changeable/refundable and for a specific train. If it is cheap enough, you could buy one and take a chance.

There are luggage racks usually at the end of carriages, and inbetween seats that face away from each other, as well as overheads for smaller bags.

Unlikely that a train is full (unless it is a holiday period) but you may have to stand if you don't have a reserved seat.

Not sure what your time line is but Mainz and Frankfurt (both pretty much the same distance from FRA but on different sides) aren't too bad places to spend an evening. You could explore there and head to Munich the next day. I'd say Ulm would be an interesting stop. The church there is the tallest in he world and makes an impression when you're going by, even at a distance.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Nov 23, 2015
907 posts
595 upvotes
All I can say is:

www.rome2rio.com

This site will change your life for things like domestic trains abroad.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11549 posts
5377 upvotes
Moving target
All good information above. Just a comment on booking a seat. This is often used in conjunction with a rail pass. Some trains require seat reservations. (Particularly night trains) so the option to just reserve a chair is provided.

I’ve never seen an intercity train that packed that there is standing room but I Generally travel by night and reservations were required.

Trust the Germans to load balance their trains lol!
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10913 posts
1064 upvotes
Mississauga
What about renting a car instead? It'll end up being slightly cheaper or maybe around the same and it'll give me a bit more flexibility in regards to travelling? If I'll just be driving from Airport to Airport as long as my hotel offers free parking I should generally be okay?
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Parking in the historic parts of old cities is limited - not that anywhere else except the new suburbs have much more parking, and you have to understand the signs where you're allowed to go or otherwise. Cars are fine for roaming around the country and visiting small towns and villages but not so much for larger cities or towns. Germany is much stricter on parking than, say, Italy.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
GangStarr wrote: I’ve never seen an intercity train that packed that there is standing room but I Generally travel by night and reservations were required.
Holiday periods. My wife and I were in Austria and were leaving for Italy on a national holiday which, though she's a passport-carrying Austrian citizen, she had no clue it was Austria's national day). Train that started possibly from Italy going to Munich was packed (trains are runned jointly by OeBB and DB) from Innsbruck. Good thing we had reserved seats as it was standing-room only. Seemed that it was made up of students taking the train to nearby towns as it emptied out before getting to Germany. Also took a ICE train between Munch Hbf and FRA a few years later and even our FC compartment was full. Was not a holiday (period) AFAIK.
Nov 10, 2015
5 posts
1 upvote
I would check out ACP Rail International if you're looking for train tickets from Frankfurt to Munich. Looking into It, it should take approximately 3 hours and 11 minutes’ time to reach your destination in Munich when you travel on these high speed trains. Here is the link to get more information - https://www.acprail.com/train-tickets/frankfurt-munich
Oh, and by the way you can get 10% on any Eurail passes booked before April 9th, 2019 with the Eurail Early Bird Promo, just go to the home page for more info.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)