• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2018 12:44 am
[OP]
Jan 26, 2017
323 posts
227 upvotes

Balance Bike for a 2 yr old

My son is turning 2 next month.

I want to get him a balance bike which I’m sure he’ll LOVE!

Any recommendations?
What things should I look for in a bike?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1146 posts
150 upvotes
Markham, ON
Look at what he rides at daycare. Or if he doesn't go to one. Ask if he could try them because you want to buy one for home.

You can always donate to the day care with your used one after but make sure they know you are allow to take it back anytime you have another two years old.
Oct 17, 2013
130 posts
67 upvotes
Ontario
My boys loved their Runners metal balance bikes and started using them at 2yo. They are especially great on rough terrain and would ride them when hiking. My 8yo (despite outgrowing it) sometimes prefers his balance bike over his gear mountain bike when going into some areas. Whether used on pavement or trails, both boys ended up learning how to use a pedal bike within a couple of days of trying because of their confidence from using the balance bike. We had a wooden balance bike handed down to us first, but that didn't last long when it was left out in the rain. If you, or your kids, are likely to leave the bike outside, get a metal one.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2017
323 posts
227 upvotes
Can you adjust the height of seat and handle bars on all balance bikes?

Also, Helmet is a must, but do you insist on putting elbow pads and knee pads on your kid?
Nov 5, 2012
221 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Is this a good gift for a 2 year old? I’m in the same boat. My son is turning 2 in a few weeks.
Dec 15, 2015
474 posts
278 upvotes
Toronto
Whatever happened to just getting a little bike and training wheels? If your worried about the pedals smacking them, just take them off.
Aug 16, 2009
906 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think it's a matter of the pedals hitting the child. With a balance bike, the kid is suppose to master the art of balancing first and then add on the pedaling after. Apparently, it slows down the learning if they have to learn to pedal AND balance at the same time.....
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
16128 posts
12825 upvotes
Toronto
TheMaterial wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 8:31 am
Whatever happened to just getting a little bike and training wheels? If your worried about the pedals smacking them, just take them off.
my kid went from balance bike directly to regular bike. no training wheels needed as they learn to ride without that middle step.

the MEC one was wonderful for us

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5021-258/ ... sh-Bicycle
An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)
Aug 10, 2004
445 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
what about something like this:
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/movelo-12- ... 0197535537

it's like @TheMaterial had suggested.... a balance bike is just a bike without pedals. I'm thinking about something like that for my little one and my coworker mentioned that he just took the wheels off a regular bike for his kid. When the kid was ready for the pedals, just add them back. That way, it felt like the same bike (it essentially is) and seemed easier for the kid to learn how to pedal afterwards.

My concern with an actual balance bike is the fact that you buy a balance bike and then another bike down the road. Honestly, as parents, we already accumulate way too much stuff at home. Why not combine the two... it just kind of makes sense.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4934 posts
1179 upvotes
Aurora
Just to add my 2 cents, my son went from a tricycle to a regular bike with training wheels. We didn't have a balance bike. Balance bike or not, I think it's all a matter of how much enthusiasm the child has with learning to ride. If I recall, my son started with the training wheels between 2 and 3. Then the training wheels went off around 4 and a half when he was riding competently on two wheels. Good enough for me.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2017
323 posts
227 upvotes
Any tips on how to get your kid to “ride” the bike?

Got him the Strider balance bike, so far he rode it about 5 times and every time he just does the walking motion on the bike instead of using his two feet to push off. I guess it takes time for them to learn?
Jul 5, 2004
23218 posts
2817 upvotes
Bebo123 wrote:
May 24th, 2018 3:36 pm

Got him the Strider balance bike, so far he rode it about 5 times and every time he just does the walking motion on the bike instead of using his two feet to push off. I guess it takes time for them to learn?
He's only 2, give him some time. My 2 year old does the same thing. That's the point of a balance bike. They'll get the feel of sitting on a bike and moving it slowly with their feet. Eventually they'll lift their feet up and try to balance. That in turn will lead to them coasting. After that, they're ready for a regular bike. But it takes time. You shouldn't expect a 2 year old to be anywhere close to riding a bike and a balance bike is just a bike without pedals.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15093 posts
5360 upvotes
Bebo123 wrote:
May 24th, 2018 3:36 pm

One of the ways that children learn is mimicing. Have you used your bike similar to a balance bike to show your child what to do?

Every child develops at a different pace, but one reason for that is also what they are exposed to. I don't think you should push your child to do something they are not interested in, but at the same time you can help convince them by showing them how to do it and that it's fun - this will potentially sell them on the idea. Kids just want to do what you're doing.