• Nov 18th, 2006 3:33 am
Tags:
None
Banned
Apr 15, 2002
1394 posts
1 upvote

Ban free pets in freebies section?

I think that there is a lot of risk involved with people giving away pets, and the idea of people giving away pets to strangers on the internet is just a bit scary to me. I think that people should be allowed to post links to SPCA and related websites though.

Thoughts?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2006
1563 posts
273 upvotes
It's not really any different then putting a sign on a pole or mail box though. You don't know the people who come get the animals. Animal shelters charge a fee to take in unwanted pets, and they give them to people you don't know either. However, if you are worried about shipping a cat from B.C. to P.E.I. using standard parcel post, I could see your complaint then. :cheesygri
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
2287 posts
1632 upvotes
Toronto
What's the difference from giving it to the pound? You don't know which owner it's going to.

And while I can understand about shipping pets, I always thought that it was a local thing and someone would come and pick it up.
Banned
May 17, 2006
1783 posts
Cat in the box for you Mr. Anderson :) Sign here please.

They most likely come and get the pet, I don't have a problem with it. If not take it to the humaine society so someone can take it as a pet If you don't want it.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2005
1913 posts
40 upvotes
[QUOTE]I can't make up my mind on this one. My concern is the same with charger's, how do they ship pets?[/QUOTE]

i ship my pets ground Ups as long as there is holes and you give them a good meal before they go in the box ( with holes) they dont complain much.

another note to remember if someone says they want a kitten as a present and is shipping out of province DO NOT try and do a nice gesture of prewraping the box for the family. what i though was a nice gesture turned out to be a little chaotic and i think the little girl had to go in for therapy , small claims court didnt work though in there favour because they were the ones who said ship it ground and didnt pay for a faster service.

:twisted: :lol: :evil:
i kid btw .
May 22, 2006
426 posts
9 upvotes
Pierrefonds
I think I know where you're going with this Charger.

It's not a question of are you sending the cat thru UPS or Canada Post.

It's the person who ends up adopting the animal. My two dogs are adopted. One from the SPCA and the other, the Animal Rescue Network, an accredited animal adoption agency. The agencies have the responsibility (as mush as they can) to ensure that the animals are going to a good home where they will not be abused. They check if the animals are healthy. They check if the animals are good with children or not. If the animal is not good with kids, they ensure that it will not go to a family with a three year old that loves to pull the dog tail. They also check if the animal can be left at home alone all day. If not, they will not allow a family to adopt if the family is gone from 7 a.m. and not home until 6:00p.m. These animals have been abandonned (or will be abandonned). Animals have anxiety problems also.

So I agree with Charger, no "free pet giveaways". You don't know who you're giving away the animal to on RFD (no offense to RFD'ers).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7800 posts
1611 upvotes
Toronto
I dont see a problem in that giving free pets on RFD.

The OP that is giving it away would definately want the best for the pet to goto a good home. They should get a good vibe from the interested party by the type of questions asked about it.

If i was giving a pet away I would skeptical if someone said I will take it and no other questions asked LOL

Wont they want to know whether shots were given, what habits does it have (eg loves to scratch drapery, wooded tables etc...) pets have personalities too and they have favourite habits which can help th potential owner decide whether the pet will fit in their family.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1236 posts
81 upvotes
I've PM'ed Derek precisely on this issue.

Please let RFD know how you feel about this issue. Pet give-aways should be banned.

See this link:

http://www.theanimalspirit.com/free.html
:idea:
"Our doubts are traitors, And make us lose the good we oft might win By fearing to attempt."
William Shakespeare Measure for Measure

"You have to go in with a winning attitude. It doesn't mean you'll win, but you'll lose a lot less" - Brad Lamb ("Toronto's Condo King")
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2039 posts
4 upvotes
spm24 wrote: i ship my pets ground Ups as long as there is holes and you give them a good meal before they go in the box ( with holes) they dont complain much.

another note to remember if someone says they want a kitten as a present and is shipping out of province DO NOT try and do a nice gesture of prewraping the box for the family. what i though was a nice gesture turned out to be a little chaotic and i think the little girl had to go in for therapy , small claims court didnt work though in there favour because they were the ones who said ship it ground and didnt pay for a faster service.

:twisted: :lol: :evil:
i kid btw .
UPS Ground for the Win
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2003
8451 posts
16 upvotes
Pet give aways should be allowed.
People who are in my gang: Nikita, Spidey, weedb0y, jcoltage, deep, pitz, Sylvestre, Icedawn, 3weddings, Ambermoon, CSK'sMom, jazzsax, bokep, matdwyer, Dash, KorruptioN, angekfire, sxz, WontonTiger, YYZFA, king_george, 45ED, sxz, Ojam

*WE GONNA GIT YOU!
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4603 posts
257 upvotes
Burnaby
slothy@cutey wrote: I've PM'ed Derek precisely on this issue.

Please let RFD know how you feel about this issue. Pet give-aways should be banned.

See this link:

http://www.theanimalspirit.com/free.html
As someone else has already pointed out, it's not different from giving the pet to the pound as you don't know what happens to the pet afterwards. All the points listed in your link has the same relavence to giving your pet away to anyone, anywhere, anytime. At least if you make the person come meet you before you decide whether or not to give it away, you can get a sense of whether the person is fit to own the pet, compared to if you just give it to the pound or the humane society.
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

References: eBay Feedback
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1236 posts
81 upvotes
gheart008 wrote: As someone else has already pointed out, it's not different from giving the pet to the pound as you don't know what happens to the pet afterwards. All the points listed in your link has the same relavence to giving your pet away to anyone, anywhere, anytime. At least if you make the person come meet you before you decide whether or not to give it away, you can get a sense of whether the person is fit to own the pet, compared to if you just give it to the pound or the humane society.
Well, I disagree. As the link pointed out, you can't really "get a sense" of a person's true motive. However, I trust the Humane Society's screening process (having gone through it twice myself) to get a better read on an adopter.

The BIGGEST problem, of course, are irresponsible pet owners that give up their pets. I have little sympathy for people's excuses and rationalizations. Bottom line: Don't get a pet if you think circumstances can change enough in your life to have to give up your pet. Caring for a pet is akin to caring for a child. If you don't see it that way than do your pet a favour and spare him from a temp/broken home.
:idea:
"Our doubts are traitors, And make us lose the good we oft might win By fearing to attempt."
William Shakespeare Measure for Measure

"You have to go in with a winning attitude. It doesn't mean you'll win, but you'll lose a lot less" - Brad Lamb ("Toronto's Condo King")