• May 18th, 2018 8:13 am
[OP]
Jan 21, 2012
86 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto

Banff / Jasper - around mid-July - advice needed

Hi folks,

I am visiting Calgary during Stampede time for work. I am thinking of extending my visit by a day or two and see the Banff / Jasper area.

1. Would 1 or 2 days be enough to see the area satisfactorily?
2. What would be my best choice for accommodation? Should I stay on the outskirts of Calgary to avoid the stamped rush / expensive hotels?
3. Should I drive from Calgary to the Banff area or should stay overnight there?
4. Anything else I should be mindful of?

Thanks
4 replies
Jul 16, 2007
1 posts
Toronto
1. Would 1 or 2 days be enough to see the area satisfactorily? We personally stayed 2 days in Banff. It really depends what you do there. We pretty much hiked all the way (plains of 6 glaciers and the inkpots) , did some canoe( bow river), cave and basin, walked around the tourist area. I would say the experience was satisfactory.
2. What would be my best choice for accommodation? Should I stay on the outskirts of Calgary to avoid the stamped rush / expensive hotels? We lived in Canmore area. The inns included breakfast as well. We drove to Banff in the morning.
3. Should I drive from Calgary to the Banff area or should stay overnight there? as above. We left Banff to Calgary after.
4. Anything else I should be mindful of? Advise is not to speed when going in and out of the National Park area. Watch out for speed limits suddenly going from 90km/h to 70km/h. The cops are pretty strict about it.
Last edited by pandaxo on May 17th, 2018 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5805 posts
1961 upvotes
Kootenays
You would need more than a day or two extension to see both Banff and Jasper. It's 3.5-4 hours driving time each way between the two, albeit one of the most beautiful drives in North America. Hwy 93 can be very busy and slow going in mid July.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
8826 posts
1576 upvotes
skip Jasper and just do Banff, Jasper is along ways from Calgary. the drive from Calgary to Banff is around 1 hour 15 minutes, its double lane divided highway and a very quick drive. Banff is easily done in 1 day unless you are into major hiking and trails.

The stampede grounds are downtown, so anywhere downtown will be really expensive.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1134 posts
200 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
As mentioned above: limit your visit to Banff (Lake Louise?) Jasper will be too far.

Hotels will be crazy expensive in Calgary during the Stampede, if you're actually able to find a room. Sadly enough, hotels around Canmore and Banff are mostly fully booked as well in the high season. If you decide to go, try to get a hotel or accommodation (AirBnb?) right now and try not to be too picky about the location. You could also try for a last minute cancellation, but personally I wouldn't go through the stress trying to find a place once I'm there.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)