Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
2469 posts
351 upvotes
GTA
jeevan87 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 5:10 pm
SG.
Then your is coming my exact same route, trackitonline.ru should have provided much more detail than what you're getting
Dec 27, 2008
239 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
I want a stock experience, which rom is the best in terms of stability, performance, battery backup, and buttery smooth experience?
Dec 15, 2009
741 posts
34 upvotes
Ontario
6060842 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 9:15 am
If it's more phone than he needs you can save yourself $100 + with the Moto E deal right now.
My old man will likely have this phone for 3 years. I would like to set him up well for that long, minimum.

He is also exploring getting Data.

Camera is also something he wants to use and the Xiaomi has better resolution (but hit and miss on the camera brand installed I suppose). He will likely edit/process photos on the phone as well (he prefers his big camera but at times it isn't prepared for ad hoc photo shoots)

I suspect he will have no idea how to go about unlocking a phone (Moto E) and I know 100% he would never root a phone.

Lastly, there is value in having me as his tech support for the phone which I can do for the Xiaomi (now) Redmi Note 4.

Ultimately his call, but he asked me what is the best phone for under $200 and to answer honestly it is the Xiaomi not the Moto.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10824 posts
1604 upvotes
Toronto
riffr aff wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 12:46 pm
My old man will likely have this phone for 3 years. I would like to set him up well for that long, minimum.

He is also exploring getting Data.

Camera is also something he wants to use and the Xiaomi has better resolution (but hit and miss on the camera brand installed I suppose). He will likely edit/process photos on the phone as well (he prefers his big camera but at times it isn't prepared for ad hoc photo shoots)

I suspect he will have no idea how to go about unlocking a phone (Moto E) and I know 100% he would never root a phone.

Lastly, there is value in having me as his tech support for the phone which I can do for the Xiaomi (now) Redmi Note 4.

Ultimately his call, but he asked me what is the best phone for under $200 and to answer honestly it is the Xiaomi not the Moto.
I wouldn't expect this, or any phone sold today, to last 3 years. 18-24 months at most.
Last edited by Kurtz7834 on Sep 13th, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10824 posts
1604 upvotes
Toronto
snackk wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:57 am
I want a stock experience, which rom is the best in terms of stability, performance, battery backup, and buttery smooth experience?
? Just use the Xiaomi MIUI stock OS if you want the stock experience, it's stable and excellent.
Apr 16, 2009
785 posts
162 upvotes
Vancouver
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:12 pm
I wouldn't expect this, or any phone sold today, to last 3 years. 18-24 months at most.
2.5 years with Nexus 5 and still going strong. Yes, it is noticeably slower than the day I bought it, but it is a tough cookie.

I am definitely looking into one of these Xiaomi phones as a replacement in the near-ish future, but am in no rush as my N5 still works just great.

I think it all depends on the user TBH.
Apr 16, 2009
785 posts
162 upvotes
Vancouver
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:13 pm
? Just use the Xiaomi MIUI stock OS if you want the stock experience, it's stable and excellent.
IMO stock OS does not necessarily equate to stock experience. Having had Samsung/HTC/Moto phones before, their modified OS's can be hit or miss, whereas the true stock google experience I have found to be amazing.

MIUI isn't the same as stock google, so some many not like it. If you're looking for true stock android experience, get the A1.
May 30, 2017
92 posts
20 upvotes
Streetsville, Missis…
Curious: does anyone have any experience self-clearing DHL packages? Is it worth the hassle and saved money?
Dec 27, 2008
239 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
Hey guys, so is this: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... df47nejWkr

The one that will be working with LTE Rogers in Canada. From 3/32 to 4/64, is it worth the price jump? With a expandable storage slot, memory should not be a problem right? But what about performance? Thanks everyone and god bless.
Mar 5, 2007
672 posts
293 upvotes
snackk wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 7:15 pm
Hey guys, so is this: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... df47nejWkr

The one that will be working with LTE Rogers in Canada. From 3/32 to 4/64, is it worth the price jump? With a expandable storage slot, memory should not be a problem right? But what about performance? Thanks everyone and god bless.
That one is the 4X, it does not have Band 4 (AWS) for LTE, so with only Band 7 (2600) support you're LTE experience will be poor, you'll only have LTE in built up areas in ideal conditions on Rogers.

I have the 3/32 of the Note 4 and I don't find any lack in performance, unless the difference is very small I wouldn't bother with the 4/64 version.
Dec 27, 2008
239 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
repatch wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 7:23 pm
That one is the 4X, it does not have Band 4 (AWS) for LTE, so with only Band 7 (2600) support you're LTE experience will be poor, you'll only have LTE in built up areas in ideal conditions on Rogers.

I have the 3/32 of the Note 4 and I don't find any lack in performance, unless the difference is very small I wouldn't bother with the 4/64 version.
Thanks for the info.

So there are 3/32 versions w/ band 4 and others that do not have it? Wow... so many versions.

I think I found it!

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... df47SCB5mo
Dec 28, 2015
108 posts
22 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:13 pm
Miui is probably the most heavily skinned Android out there meaning it's nothing like stock

I have a note 4 running Google now launcher but settings, notification and etc are nothing like my Nexus
Mar 5, 2007
672 posts
293 upvotes
snackk wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 7:50 pm
Thanks for the info.

So there are 3/32 versions w/ band 4 and others that do not have it? Wow... so many versions.

I think I found it!

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... df47SCB5mo
Hehe, ya, it's confusing. While that one does have band 4, it's not a note! There is a Note 4X and there is a 4X, which is less powerful with a lower res screen. Look for the Note 4 (no X) global ROM.
Oct 14, 2015
18 posts
2 upvotes
flaming homer wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:17 am
Then your is coming my exact same route, trackitonline.ru should have provided much more detail than what you're getting
I opened a dispute to refund, but I've now cancelled since I just went online and saw this:

2017.09.13 23:06 (GMT-7): Airline arrived at destination country

Long ass flight lol. Thing left Hong Kong on July 15th.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10824 posts
1604 upvotes
Toronto
MrWhiteCoffee wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 8:36 pm
Miui is probably the most heavily skinned Android out there meaning it's nothing like stock

I have a note 4 running Google now launcher but settings, notification and etc are nothing like my Nexus
YMMV but I think MIUI is much better than stock Android. Built in antivirus and security, call recording, dual app support etc. The default launcher is not great though, I would suggest installing Nova Launcher or whatever one's preferred launcher is. I'm using Blackberry Launcher right now on my Note 4.
Last edited by Kurtz7834 on Sep 14th, 2017 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)