Personal Finance

Is the bank being anal w/ the security measures?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2018 3:00 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
7684 posts
1069 upvotes
兩最大

Is the bank being anal w/ the security measures?

So I went to a teller of my bank out-of-province to withdrawal a few thousand bucks. Money's in there no question and I'm just withdrawing a relatively small amount. Anyway, they check my ID and bank card+pin so they know it's me. The problem was that they actually limited my withdrawal amount and the teller had to ask for 'special permission' from her manager along w/ a whole slew of security questions in order to process the transaction. Is there something I'm not aware of because it seems ridiculous that I'm restricted from getting my own money.
Last edited by tranquility922 on Jan 13th, 2018 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
31 replies
Newbie
Dec 13, 2017
10 posts
9 upvotes
if you didn't have your bank card and only id, it is common for branches to do this for a "few thousand dollars" especially if they never seen you before AND you are presenting id from out of province.

it's also more common when branches experience fraud hits and they are asked to be on lookout for fraud attempts. tellers will likely be performing extra checks to be sure.

it might be your money, but the teller is doing her best to protect your money because she doesn't know if you are who you say you are.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
7684 posts
1069 upvotes
兩最大
dollarking wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 1:36 am
if you didn't have your bank card and only id, it is common for branches to do this for a "few thousand dollars" especially if they never seen you before AND you are presenting id from out of province.

it's also more common when branches experience fraud hits and they are asked to be on lookout for fraud attempts. tellers will likely be performing extra checks to be sure.

it might be your money, but the teller is doing her best to protect your money because she doesn't know if you are who you say you are.
Forgot to be clear totally, they got my bank card+pin also.

I'm not upset as I can just withdraw periodically, just puzzled just because of these extra measures due to being out of province. It's not as if I presented them w/ ID from, say, Zimbabwe. It's common for fraudsters to fake out of province IDs, that's the reason?
Newbie
Dec 13, 2017
10 posts
9 upvotes
not sure why in that case since you had your debit card. maybe she was new? could be she was worried since you profile would come up and your address would show a different province than the one you are withdrawing from and you wanted thousands in cash?

It's not the faking of out of province ids, its just faking ids in general. couple that with say, if the teller has never seen an id from your province (I have no idea what license from Nova Scotia looks like for example)

there are fraud rings that will target specific branches wit fake ids and fraudelent cheques. when this happens the branches in the city/area get emails to be on alert for anything suspicious. Depending on the bank and branch, Tellers and managers can get chewed out if they process fraudulent transactions.

It sucks OP, but its the scum fraudsters that ruin it for the honest folk like yourself.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
7684 posts
1069 upvotes
兩最大
Tx for explanation. As said I'm not upset more curious and a little inconvenienced. Just weird since I would've assumed they could verify Cdn IDs easily.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 20, 2009
6092 posts
857 upvotes
Grimsby
What's amusing is that they are so protective in one respect but we're still using 4-6 digit PINs with no 2FA to access our accounts online.
Sr. Member
Jan 14, 2010
540 posts
120 upvotes
1. Why not use the bank machine? Next time make sure your daily limit is at a level of cash you'd need; I know I can withdraw up to $1000 per day if needed.

2. That being said, needing that much cash in this day and age is somewhat odd. Not saying there wasn't a good reason in this case, just this added to the fact that you were quite aways from home might raise red flags that I personally would be glad for banks to raise for my protection.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
7684 posts
1069 upvotes
兩最大
cocodc wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 1:53 pm
1. Why not use the bank machine? Next time make sure your daily limit is at a level of cash you'd need; I know I can withdraw up to $1000 per day if needed.

2. That being said, needing that much cash in this day and age is somewhat odd. Not saying there wasn't a good reason in this case, just this added to the fact that you were quite aways from home might raise red flags that I personally would be glad for banks to raise for my protection.
1. I usually only conduct simple banking so just do online or ATM, this time just wanted more.

2. Per above. Anyway, just perplexing since they definitely know it's me and I have all the required IDs, unless it's my evil twin w/ perfectly forged driver's licence, bank card+pin, etc. Weird just because I came from another province they go crazy. I don't mind they have extra security but at least target the right suspect if flags do actually appear?
Sr. Member
Jan 15, 2017
769 posts
535 upvotes
OP stated that his withdraw amount was above his daily withdraw limit. This was the reason for the extra questions. Had nothing to do with being from another province.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
7684 posts
1069 upvotes
兩最大
skeet50 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 3:01 pm
OP stated that his withdraw amount was above his daily withdraw limit. This was the reason for the extra questions. Had nothing to do with being from another province.
There's a limit at the ATM, but I'm not aware that there's one *at the teller*? Btw, I never stated my daily limit here.
Sr. Member
Jan 15, 2017
769 posts
535 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 3:06 pm
There's a limit at the ATM, but I'm not aware that there's one *at the teller*? Btw, I never stated my daily limit here.
Yes, there is a limit at the teller also.

It's irrelevant what your daily limit is, as it is clear that your withdraw amount exceeded it. You did write, "The problem was that they actually limited my withdrawal amount and the teller had to ask for 'special permission' from her manager".

So what you experienced was the process of having your daily withdraw limit raised. Nothing to do with being out of province. Tellers don't know every customer that visits a branch. And even if they knew the customer, they would still go through the same procedure as some customers may be requesting to increase their daily withdraw limit under duress.
Jr. Member
Feb 13, 2015
127 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 1:19 am
So I went to a teller of my bank out-of-province to withdrawal a few thousand bucks. Money's in there no question and I'm just withdrawing a relatively small amount. Anyway, they check my ID and bank card+pin so they know it's me. The problem was that they actually limited my withdrawal amount and the teller had to ask for 'special permission' from her manager along w/ a whole slew of security questions in order to process the transaction. Is there something I'm not aware of because it seems ridiculous that I'm restricted from getting my own money.
Many years ago, one of the TD branches in downtown Toronto refused to let me withdraw $200 from my account citing "it is not the ID we have on file" when I was using my passport and landed in billy bishop without any canadian $ in my wallet. Even a manager could not authorize it. I raised it to the ombudsmen, got an official apology from the teller later, but s**t like this happens. It was just a power-trip I felt. Fast forward, I am in suburban vancouver a few months later, buying something on craigslist, and the teller didn't ask me anything more than my drivers license (which was a US one, and not the one on file again) and gave me $2000 cash without blinking an eye.

Now I have stopped assuming tellers to have enough of a brain to comprehend some of these things. I avoid in-person banking at all costs.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
7684 posts
1069 upvotes
兩最大
skeet50 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 3:10 pm
Yes, there is a limit at the teller also.

It's irrelevant what your daily limit is, as it is clear that your withdraw amount exceeded it. You did write, "The problem was that they actually limited my withdrawal amount and the teller had to ask for 'special permission' from her manager".

So what you experienced was the process of having your daily withdraw limit raised. Nothing to do with being out of province. Tellers don't know every customer that visits a branch. And even if they knew the customer, they would still go through the same procedure as some customers may be requesting to increase their daily withdraw limit under duress.
You read incorrectly. I stated that they reduced the amount I wanted to w/d, not that there was a prescribed limit at the teller for me. Anyway, I'm not aware of such prescribed limit *at the teller*, if someone can confirm, that would be great.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
7684 posts
1069 upvotes
兩最大
sahiljain22 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 3:16 pm
Many years ago, one of the TD branches in downtown Toronto refused to let me withdraw $200 from my account citing "it is not the ID we have on file" when I was using my passport and landed in billy bishop without any canadian $ in my wallet. Even a manager could not authorize it. I raised it to the ombudsmen, got an official apology from the teller later, but s**t like this happens. It was just a power-trip I felt. Fast forward, I am in suburban vancouver a few months later, buying something on craigslist, and the teller didn't ask me anything more than my drivers license (which was a US one, and not the one on file again) and gave me $2000 cash without blinking an eye.

Now I have stopped assuming tellers to have enough of a brain to comprehend some of these things. I avoid in-person banking at all costs.
Valid pts, I'm not blaming the teller, she's just following some overzealous security protocol that's barking up the wrong tree.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1148 posts
282 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 1:19 am
So I went to a teller of my bank out-of-province to withdrawal a few thousand bucks.
Did the bank know you were leaving the province ahead of time?

If you didn't, and you were asking for thousands of dollars in cash, I can see why they got overzealous.

Top