Bank draft receipt privacy?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2020 1:55 pm
Jan 22, 2020
80 posts
76 upvotes

Bank draft receipt privacy?

Hey guys,

Probably a silly question, but is there anything someone could do with a bank draft receipt number?

I got a bank draft to pay a down payment for a home and my father in law asked for the bank draft receipt transit/serial no. He said "record keeping for his daughter". I don't think there's anything malicious here, but I'm more worried he could find out the amount, and who it was going to, so he could pay it off for us instead (we really don't want that). Instead of accusing him or anything, I just want to know if it is possible to get any information from that number.

Thanks!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1811 posts
2410 upvotes
BC
No, no bank would release information to third parties regardless of what information they hold, except to those authorized to receive it like the CRA.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
2180 posts
950 upvotes
OP, thats a strange post as well as strange request from FIL.

looking at this several ways

you went got a bank draft to use as a DP for a property

FIL wants a copy of the bank draft or the receipt from the person that received the bank draft?

in either case ... tell him 'no he cannot have it' & hopefully your wife knows all about the bank draft transaction + the fact it was used as a DP for a property?

did your FIL give you in part or the whole amount of money to get the bank draft - if so, write him a hand written receipt for the money.

if he gave you the money as a loan, then you'd give him a promissory note.

if you were my son-in-law & I gave you money, it wouldn't be on a handshake unless it was a gift - I'd want a receipt acknowledging it.

but suppose I gave the money to my daughter 'as a gift' who used it together with you to buy the bank draft to use for a DP - I would likely NOT ask my daughter for a receipt, again unless it was a loan which needs a promissory note
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7081 posts
5209 upvotes
Seems like the Father in law is preparing for the impending divorce and split of matrimonial assets.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2017
1510 posts
1076 upvotes
Toronto, ON
unless some of the funds for the property DP (using bank draft as transaction vehicle) came from your FIL as a loan, he has no legitimate reason to demand traceability to confirm amount and recipient.

'record keeping for his daughter' ... records of what?? and why??
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
905P4N6 wrote: unless some of the funds for the property DP (using bank draft as transaction vehicle) came from your FIL as a loan, he has no legitimate reason to demand traceability to confirm amount and recipient.

'record keeping for his daughter' ... records of what?? and why??
Exactly what I was thinking.

If your wife wants the a copy of the receipt, that's different, since you are going into this mortgage and house together. If her dad has no financial interest, then it's not his business.
- casual gastronomist -

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)