Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2002
1619 posts
227 upvotes
Mississauga

Which bank has the best app?

Which bank has the best app for your phone / tablet? I've only used the TD and HSBC ones and they're both crap. Not really much of an app but an outdated mobile version of the site. Is there a bank out there with a good app to do transactions, view accounts, trade stocks, etc.?

Thanks!
28 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
2017 posts
717 upvotes
so you gonna open bank account according to which has the best app rating? or say if RBC had the best app, you view your TD account with RBC app?

if you have account with all the banks, just try their app all
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2002
1619 posts
227 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for the responses but I'm asking which bank in your personal experience / opinion do you believe has the best app. That is all I am asking but thanks for the advice.

I only have access to TD / HSBC but I'm interested in how other bank apps are like.
Feb 28, 2013
945 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
I've only used TD and RBCs apps. The TD app is awful, it is just a old mobile site and really slow. I like the RBC app but, it is limited. You can send email transfers or transfers to other RBC customers only after you added them as payees on the full site. Their online banking has a lot of features like alerts, that you can access with the browser on your phone or tablet.
Aug 27, 2012
143 posts
38 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I've used Vancity's and it was excellent compared to TD (what I am using now).

ING is nice and clean too.

I also have BMO, CiBC, and HSBC apps and they are better than TD's too.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
4391 posts
1505 upvotes
QC
Ing is great. Supports ipad too.

Td is crap. It reflects perfectly their website which is also crap. Looks like 10 years old website.

National bank is ok. No ipad support.

Nothing with Laurentian Bank.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2008
1432 posts
114 upvotes
I have the following i'm using on my iphone PC,ING, RBC, TD, Scotia. ING,PC, and RBC have the most you can do in the apps themselves. Scotia I haven't really played around with too much so no opinion on it. TD is the worst of them all. It's very archaic i'm just happy I can see my balances on their stupid app lol
Sep 6, 2010
789 posts
99 upvotes
Waterloo
I use CIBC, ING and TD. CIBC and ING are both great - both their Web banking and app. TD's terrible. Awful. And unfortunately that comment is for both their Web banking and app as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2008
1432 posts
114 upvotes
coachpotatoarmchairQB wrote: whats so great about ING app? i dont have an account and i dont have a smart phone to try it out. what is special about it? i wish i had an iphone
Transfer money from any accounts you have with them or any linked accounts, pay bills, set reoccurring bill payments for the future, open a new account, refer a friend, locate the closest exchange ATM which is the most useful for me as I hate paying extra to access my funds.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
9005 posts
5728 upvotes
CsG wrote: I use CIBC, ING and TD. CIBC and ING are both great - both their Web banking and app. TD's terrible. Awful. And unfortunately that comment is for both their Web banking and app as well.
The website is getting rewamped and will be coming out next month. They are working on an actual app as well as opposed to the web based one currently offered.
Sep 6, 2010
789 posts
99 upvotes
Waterloo
boyoflondon wrote: The website is getting rewamped and will be coming out next month. They are working on an actual app as well as opposed to the web based one currently offered.
That's good to know. Hopefully the revamp is for the better!
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2012
1457 posts
685 upvotes
Woodbridge
coachpotatoarmchairQB wrote: i dont understand why people need an app for normal banking? Whta is so time sensitive you need to use your phone on the go to do? for stock trading I understand that part but for normal banking i dont understand why you need it. You do a transfer fund it takes days anyway. No point checking screen every minute!
I swear you have ever never had one post that adds value to any thread.... ever.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2319 posts
620 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
coachpotatoarmchairQB wrote: i dont understand why people need an app for normal banking? Whta is so time sensitive you need to use your phone on the go to do? for stock trading I understand that part but for normal banking i dont understand why you need it. You do a transfer fund it takes days anyway. No point checking screen every minute!
With all bills done online now, having an app is vital. I barely sit down at a computer for banking anymore. A lot of times it is done while on the bus or waiting in line, a few clicks on my phone and the payment is sent. Good apps will also notify you when payments are due or when a big deduction is made to your account etc. It is al about making life easier

IMO The new Scotia Bank app seems really good ---> http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/app-store/ ... -5-update/

Might be the factor that finally pushes me to make the switch :P
Deal Addict
May 24, 2011
1820 posts
700 upvotes
Canada
Scotia's latest iOS update does look pretty good.

HSBC is a nightmare, just a crappy web port.
Feb 28, 2013
945 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
Sometimes if I'm watching my visa balance and just want the points I pay the purchase off right away using the app even before I exit a store just because I can! I do all my normal transfers and bill payments through the app too. That includes transfers from chequing to savings or vice versa which is instant. Heck, if for some stupid reason I was nearing my credit card limit and wanted to do a purchase, I could log on, make a payment and instantly I have funds available on it even before it is posted. I really like having an app because I'm not going to sit down at a computer and designate time for my finances. I'm at a computer all day but, I don't mind logging into an app while on public transit and making sure I'm on track. Before the app, I didn't have a budget. Didn't save money and wouldn't have been able to tell you what was in my account. My debit would be declined buying bread. The app makes it easy. I have savings now! I don't use a computer at home.

Hell, I'm posting from my phone right now!
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2008
1432 posts
114 upvotes
Beans1234 wrote: Sometimes if I'm watching my visa balance and just want the points I pay the purchase off right away using the app even before I exit a store just because I can! I do all my normal transfers and bill payments through the app too. That includes transfers from chequing to savings or vice versa which is instant. Heck, if for some stupid reason I was nearing my credit card limit and wanted to do a purchase, I could log on, make a payment and instantly I have funds available on it even before it is posted. I really like having an app because I'm not going to sit down at a computer and designate time for my finances. I'm at a computer all day but, I don't mind logging into an app while on public transit and making sure I'm on track. Before the app, I didn't have a budget. Didn't save money and wouldn't have been able to tell you what was in my account. My debit would be declined buying bread. The app makes it easy. I have savings now! I don't use a computer at home.

Hell, I'm posting from my phone right now!
+1 I'm the same way. I use my MasterCard for everything and pay it off right away. I collect the points and I'm not tempted to buy large items I can't pay for right away. The apps has really changed my spending habits as I can see my balances in real time.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes
+1 for ING, but I'm curious as to why this question matters? It's not like the choice to use any one bank over another should be solely (or even remotely) dependent on which one has the best app.
Feb 28, 2013
945 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
ilove wrote: +1 for ING, but I'm curious as to why this question matters? It's not like the choice to use any one bank over another should be solely (or even remotely) dependent on which one has the best app.
Actually, I hated the TD app so much it was part of the reason I closed my account, plus the fees.