Personal Finance

Bank insisting on investing in mutual funds?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2013 9:54 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12939 posts
1862 upvotes
Brampton

Bank insisting on investing in mutual funds?

I went to the bank to do investing. The banker insists on putting the money into mutual funds. I already have mutual funds and don't see a real need to invest more at this time. I didn't follow their recommendations, and did what I felt was right-GIC's.

So what is with the bank pushing mutual fund investments? Is it their prime objective to make you invest in the stock market so their mutual fund company will make the $$?
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
82 replies
Banned
Feb 17, 2007
3190 posts
203 upvotes
yes.
the advisor you are seeing will get 1% trailer fee from the money you gave them.
so if u put in 1,000,000, your hard working advisor will get 10,000 each year.
and for some unknown reasons, the mutual funds performed super good, your million dollar investmemt becomes two million, your advisor will collect 20,000 in fees.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2009
1370 posts
381 upvotes
ETFs are much much much better than mutual funds.

and yes, they make a lot off mutual funds.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10476 posts
656 upvotes
New-Brunswick
Check out CBC's Marketplace from last Friday on MER's (or just google that term)... that's why they push mutual funds, they probably make more profit on them than you do (at least in this recession like economy).
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12939 posts
1862 upvotes
Brampton
PunPryde wrote: ETFs are much much much better than mutual funds.

and yes, they make a lot off mutual funds.
So how do I buy these ETF funds? Questrade?
Feneant wrote: Check out CBC's Marketplace from last Friday on MER's (or just google that term)... that's why they push mutual funds, they probably make more profit on them than you do (at least in this recession like economy).
Yea I was going to watch that episode but missed it. I wll check for it online.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12939 posts
1862 upvotes
Brampton
ACC-Major wrote: yes.
the advisor you are seeing will get 1% trailer fee from the money you gave them.
and for some unknown reasons, the mutual funds performed super good, your million dollar investmemt becomes two million, your advisor will collect 20,000 in fees.
So the advisor is just trying to line their pockets? Wow!
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
3521 posts
1223 upvotes
Halifax
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe bank advisors get commissions. They may have a quota or get so type of bonus based on their annual sales, but they aren't collecting a 1% trailer fee.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12939 posts
1862 upvotes
Brampton
FunSave22 wrote: Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe bank advisors get commissions. They may have a quota or get so type of bonus based on their annual sales, but they aren't collecting a 1% trailer fee.
Yea they are no load mutual funds, meaning no broker fee. I don't think they make a personal commission?
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2009
1370 posts
381 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote: So how do I buy these ETF funds? Questrade?
Yep, you can buy it like any other stock. ETF stands for exchange traded funds, so are very similar to mutual funds but are traded on exchanges. Virtual brokers lets you buy a bunch of ETFs commission free. The biggest advantage to ETFs is that the fees are substantially lower than mutual funds, think 0.1% vs 2.00%. Also, you know the value of your funds and portfolio at any time, where as with mutual funds you have to wait until EOD or the next day until the bank updates the prices. I made the mistake of buying mutual funds a couple years ago (they made money but i could have made more in ETFs) and I am now in the process of dumping all them and buying ETFs instead.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2564 posts
992 upvotes
There are mutual funds that are OK too; they mirror the ETFs you'd want to buy. They are index trackers.

So, take XIC.TO, which tracks the S&P TSX Composite index (254 largest companies by market cap in Canada); this is also available at RBC, TD, CIBC, etc, etc.

TD eseries is the cheapest; the RBC version has a MER of 0.7% or so, where XIC is roughly 0.2%. I have a biweekly purchase of the RBC one, which I can move over to Questrade when it gets large enough - I'm not "missing out on the action" but I'm also not paying brokerage fees for each purchase.

To avoid: Ideally, all "actively managed" funds. I'd say RBC's 0.7% is the max. you'd want to pay. Have a read of the Canadian Couch Potato...
Oct 20, 2010
416 posts
77 upvotes
daverobev wrote: TD eseries is the cheapest; the RBC version has a MER of 0.7% or so, where XIC is roughly 0.2%. I have a biweekly purchase of the RBC one, which I can move over to Questrade when it gets large enough - I'm not "missing out on the action" but I'm also not paying brokerage fees for each purchase.
I'm curious, are you doing this in a non-registered account where you can just withdraw the cash? Otherwise isn't RBC charging you fees to transfer the assets?
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12939 posts
1862 upvotes
Brampton
daverobev wrote: There are mutual funds that are OK too; they mirror the ETFs you'd want to buy. They are index trackers.

So, take XIC.TO, which tracks the S&P TSX Composite index (254 largest companies by market cap in Canada); this is also available at RBC, TD, CIBC, etc, etc.

TD eseries is the cheapest; the RBC version has a MER of 0.7% or so, where XIC is roughly 0.2%. I have a biweekly purchase of the RBC one, which I can move over to Questrade when it gets large enough - I'm not "missing out on the action" but I'm also not paying brokerage fees for each purchase.

To avoid: Ideally, all "actively managed" funds. I'd say RBC's 0.7% is the max. you'd want to pay. Have a read of the Canadian Couch Potato...
I looked at the TD eseries mutual funds, and their rates of return look rather low compared to Td's regular line of mutual funds?
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Banned
Nov 27, 2006
2200 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto

No bank advisor gets 1% trailer fees. Not for the big 5. maybe for IG.
Banned
Nov 27, 2006
2200 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto
cheapmeister wrote: I went to the bank to do investing. The banker insists on putting the money into mutual funds. I already have mutual funds and don't see a real need to invest more at this time. I didn't follow their recommendations, and did what I felt was right-GIC's.

So what is with the bank pushing mutual fund investments? Is it their prime objective to make you invest in the stock market so their mutual fund company will make the $$?
First, you made a huge mistake investing in GICs unless you need that money in exactly 1 year from now.

Second, most equity mutual funds are going to make a lot of money this year.

Third, do your due diligence.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
The adviser was recommending mutual funds because GIC return is crap.

Now, as to what is more profitable to a bank, that's GIC. Banks make a ton with GICs. It's raw money they can lend out on the credit side for more than what they give you. Basically, they make money out of nearly no capital of their own.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
3252 posts
2873 upvotes
Montreal
sirex wrote: Second, most equity mutual funds are going to make a lot of money this year.
If you are serious about that statement, then please tell all of us what to buy this year. Haha :cheesygri
Banned
Nov 27, 2006
2200 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto
bgallagher wrote: If you are serious about that statement, then please tell all of us what to buy this year. Haha :cheesygri
Like what? ETFs or Mutual Funds, anything with high proportion of US and Canadian Equities should be good. I would lean more towards US equities and International equities.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12939 posts
1862 upvotes
Brampton
sirex wrote: First, you made a huge mistake investing in GICs unless you need that money in exactly 1 year from now.

Second, most equity mutual funds are going to make a lot of money this year.

Third, do your due diligence.
How do you know this? I found the mutual funds have now started to go up in the last 2 months or so.
There are some issues with Europe in Greece, and the US passing the increase in the debt ceiling.

I don't think GIC is a mistake. I am guaranteed the money, with mutual funds, it can go down.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2011
1731 posts
227 upvotes
RMB
cheapmeister wrote: How do you know this? I found the mutual funds have now started to go up in the last 2 months or so.
There are some issues with Europe in Greece, and the US passing the increase in the debt ceiling.

I don't think GIC is a mistake. I am guaranteed the money, with mutual funds, it can go down.
If you GIC rate is < 3%, you are guaranteed a lost after tax and inflation.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
cheapmeister wrote: I don't think GIC is a mistake. I am guaranteed the money, with mutual funds, it can go down.
There are capital guaranteed investment products that has a return rate based on market performance. It's a pretty good mix of the two world. However they are a PAIN to liquidate before term.