Personal Finance

Which banks allow online transfers between customers?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2013 3:33 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver

Which banks allow online transfers between customers?

I know that RBC does. It's quick and easy, just specify the name and account number of the other customer. It's remembered as a future transfer destination. Transfers are instant. http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/products/de ... yment.html

TD apparently allows this as well. You can set up a "Personal Payee" as a type of bill payment. But you have to set it up on the phone, and the transfers take a couple of days, just like a bill payment. http://td.intelliresponse.com/easyweb/? ... question=.
Update: TD Customer Service told me that the amount is unlimited, but someone else just tried it and TD told them there's a secret limit of $5000 per day on web payments to Personal Payees.

ING does not have any ability to do direct transfers between customers (I asked them very recently). They allow email money transfers for small amounts, and those are instant between two ING accounts.

How about BMO? They don't to my knowledge, unless they have something recent. Does anyone know?
Update: They said No, not yet. Only Interac email transfers up to $3000 at the moment. But a teller may be able to do it in person at the bank.
37 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
I would think BMO also does this which is why my Debit Mastercard is considered a payment. Although they say the transfer is instantaneous in practice, I usually give it 3 or 4 hours to clear through. Been doing this for years now...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Transfers between your own accounts at the same bank don't count. I'm talking about accounts owned by different customers.
May 6, 2009
125 posts
47 upvotes
JamesA1, check out Canadian Tire Bank. They allow funds transfer to another customers account, provided you have an account number. I haven't actually done this, but I can see the option there when I perform external transfer to myself.

I'm surprised more banks don't have this very useful feature. I take advantage of it with RBC, and it makes managing money a lot easier instead of having joint-accounts and ensuing squabbles about spending habits.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2008
1206 posts
392 upvotes
How does it work for PCF? I know you can send in a void check and setup online transfer between your account in PCF and and your account in an external bank. Can you link an external bank for someone else's account and your PCF account? So the void check that I send to PCF will not have my name or address on it..
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1999 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
Another way to do it is to add one of their bill payments as yours i.e. credit card or something. Works great with people who bank somewhere else!
Nov 25, 2011
425 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
barricuda wrote: How does it work for PCF? I know you can send in a void check and setup online transfer between your account in PCF and and your account in an external bank. Can you link an external bank for someone else's account and your PCF account? So the void check that I send to PCF will not have my name or address on it..
I looked at doing this with them and it basically says in the terms and conditions that any account you setup must also be in your name... :(
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
gabbycup wrote: Personal Payee transfers take one business day.
I wouldn't be surprised if that's typically true, but TD's official statement is "48 hours", which is probably the same as for other bill payments. Also note my update in the first post that the amount is limited to $5000 per day.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Lumber-jack wrote: Another way to do it is to add one of their bill payments as yours i.e. credit card or something. Works great with people who bank somewhere else!
That does work, and it's the easiest way to make payments of any amount between individuals with no fees. Just pay the other person's credit card account as a regular bill payment. They don't check the name on the credit card account - it can be anybody's credit card account.
Mar 27, 2009
264 posts
50 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote: That does work, and it's the easiest way to make payments of any amount between individuals with no fees. Just pay the other person's credit card account as a regular bill payment. They don't check the name on the credit card account - it can be anybody's credit card account.
This is particularly useful for Lines of Credit rather than credit cards. In my opinion, I think that banks have (or are developing) a preference for Interac's e-transfers as the way forward for these sorts of transactions.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
Just checked with my BoM account and it says you can designate anyone as a payee (up to 99 of them) and transfer money to them. That can be a company as in the case of bill payment but I don't see why individuals cannot also be used...
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2008
1432 posts
114 upvotes
adr1an wrote: I'm surprised more banks don't have this very useful feature. I take advantage of it with RBC, and it makes managing money a lot easier instead of having joint-accounts and ensuing squabbles about spending habits.
Definitely one of the most useful thing RBC has is the instant transfer between RBC clients, used it to pay my rent to my landlord for years.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2008
1206 posts
392 upvotes
michty6 wrote: I looked at doing this with them and it basically says in the terms and conditions that any account you setup must also be in your name... :(
shoot... thanks for the info
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
DougO wrote: Just checked with my BoM account and it says you can designate anyone as a payee (up to 99 of them) and transfer money to them. That can be a company as in the case of bill payment but I don't see why individuals cannot also be used...
Maybe for companies that are registered for bill payment, but not for individuals. I asked them exactly that today, and they said definitely that they do not have any capability to transfer money directly to other account holders. I've been a BMO customer for years, and I ask them about this every year. It's always "planned for the future".
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
kear7856 wrote: you have to list them as personal payee's
That's how it works at TD, but not at BMO. You cannot add a "Personal Payee" at BMO. They just don't have that capability yet.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2012
1457 posts
685 upvotes
Woodbridge
ING EMT will work across other banks for free but it will take 1-2 days, between ING clients instantly.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)