• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2018 11:57 am
[OP]
Jul 11, 2014
4 posts
Barrie, ON

Banks - Software Dev

Hello,

Currently completing a second degree in computer science. I was curious about how my past experience working in banking would impact my application for a dev position at a bank if at all. To give some context, previously I was in an analytics/middle office type role for 3-4 years. As it stands I really don't plan on applying to any banks, but I would like to get some input so I can better understand all my options.

Hopefully there are enough developers on this forum that can speak to this. Thanks.
6 replies
Aug 30, 2010
55 posts
Why would being an analyst hurt your chances of being a dev at a bank? If anything, you'd think it would help you, no ?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
5536 posts
709 upvotes
labattice wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 9:17 pm
Hello,

Currently completing a second degree in computer science. I was curious about how my past experience working in banking would impact my application for a dev position at a bank if at all. To give some context, previously I was in an analytics/middle office type role for 3-4 years. As it stands I really don't plan on applying to any banks, but I would like to get some input so I can better understand all my options.

Hopefully there are enough developers on this forum that can speak to this. Thanks.
need to see your resume or at least post your dev experience - languages, platforms ...etc
"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."

Bring up Vlad

Traditional wet shaving thread. Double edge shaving talk - Save $$$
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
2214 posts
806 upvotes
Mississauga
Could be useful if you want to specialize in FinTech
I love RFD! :)

Model 3 reservation holder
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2599 posts
456 upvotes
HeMo796 wrote:
Jun 9th, 2018 11:16 am
Why would being an analyst hurt your chances of being a dev at a bank? If anything, you'd think it would help you, no ?
Banks aren't known to be cutting edge, latest tech and latest methodology or known to be fast paced. They are good for extremely complex and large scale projects though and that's one key experience to take away.

If you want to get out of banking/finance, do show how you keep yourself up to date with online courses, github projects, etc.
Feb 7, 2018
106 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto ON
Past Financial industry , especially Banking - helps. Send your resume, don't worry. Will be easier for you, as you understand the business processes.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16427 posts
2081 upvotes
labattice wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 9:17 pm
To give some context, previously I was in an analytics/middle office type role for 3-4 years. As it stands I really don't plan on applying to any banks, but I would like to get some input so I can better understand all my options.
Any relevant experience is often a benefit on the application.

bhrm wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 12:22 pm
Banks aren't known to be cutting edge, latest tech and latest methodology or known to be fast paced. They are good for extremely complex and large scale projects though and that's one key experience to take away.
May have been more true 5 years ago, but over the last few years, the Big 5 have adopted a very different mentality when it comes to technology. Still not start-up agile, but much better than 5 and especially 10 years ago.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)