Food & Drink

Banquet Halls for Chinese Wedding - any Updates?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2011 11:45 pm
Tags:
None
May 25, 2005
66 posts
Toronto

Banquet Halls for Chinese Wedding - any Updates?

Hi,

I've seen many old posts on Banquet halls for chinese weddings. Any updates on good chinese wedding banquet halls that you went to recently? Just starting to plan for a chinese wedding with approx 150-200 people.

Any reviews or comments regarding Banquet halls such as:
- Markham Event Centre
- La Rosa Grand Hall
- Shangri-la Banquet Hall
- any others?

Your reviews/comments are appreciated. Thanks
7 replies
Dec 6, 2006
3 posts
1 upvote
We checked out three venues for our Chinese wedding. Our wedding is going to be around 160 people.

1. Lai Wah Heen at the MET - nice venue but extremely expensive. For what we were looking for which is the usual meal plus open bar comes to around $2000 per table. Otherwise the venue is very nice and they have baby grand piano available as well.

2. Shangri-la - extremely disappointed. I really thought it was the venue for me from the commercials and pictures I saw. We saw one of the newly renovated room that has the bar at the back of the room. The room itself looks nice but I was really disappointed by the linen. Their package comes with linen and when we went it was sent up for an event silimar to a wedding. We were told that`s how a wedding set up would look like. The linen was extremely wrinkle which turned me off immediately. Surprising what really made us say `NO` to the venue was the ``bridal changeroom``. It was more of a rec and park washroom. My fiance told me when we left the venue that he would never let me change in there. The plus side of the venue is the price (around $500-$800 per table) and you can bring in your own alcohol.

3. Markham Event Centre - we booked this venue. This came as a huge surprise because we didn`t expect much. The venue is beautiful with its high ceiling. The price included the cocktail hour, food, open bar and decor. We cutomized our package to around $1000 per table. We are very happy with our choice because the venue is beautiful and it really impressed my fiance and he normally doesn`t care but he made a great effort to tell me how much he likes the venue. The staff is very helful and the linen is beautiful. I did end up going to the venue when they were setting up for a wedding and saw the linen work.

I hope that helps! Definitely go check the venues out for yourself but that is my opinion. It would be great to hear your updates as well. :)
Dec 2, 2006
175 posts
5 upvotes
*bump* any other opinions would be most appreciated as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5407 posts
555 upvotes
Mississauga
Regal Chinese Cuisine and Banquet Hall. Its at Woodside Square, where Ruby Restaurant used to be. Its very nice and modern and clean inside. I have not been there for dinner yet (we are going there for Christmas dinner), but I have been there for dimsum. The quality of the food is very fresh and good. I think it maybe a little pricier than others. I have not been there for a wedding though, but like I said above, its very nice inside.
Aug 6, 2007
39 posts
Markham
massive02 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2010 12:36 am
1. Lai Wah Heen at the MET - nice venue but extremely expensive. For what we were looking for which is the usual meal plus open bar comes to around $2000 per table. Otherwise the venue is very nice and they have baby grand piano available as well.

Just to clarify, I think you must have been quoted an upgraded menu, as the regular menu at LWH is about $1650 total (drinks, taxes, service charge inclusive) which isn't bad considering it's the only 4 diamond Chinese restaurant in Canada. We're still looking at some other venues, but my parents really want to have it there to impress their friends.
Jul 29, 2006
614 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
How much do you want to spend? Location?
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2005
2106 posts
13 upvotes
mine's going to be at diamond banquet hall, their food is good and the venue looks nice it sold my partner on it hence we put deposit for it
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2115 posts
291 upvotes
massive02 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2010 12:36 am
We checked out three venues for our Chinese wedding. Our wedding is going to be around 160 people.

2. Shangri-la - extremely disappointed. I really thought it was the venue for me from the commercials and pictures I saw. We saw one of the newly renovated room that has the bar at the back of the room. The room itself looks nice but I was really disappointed by the linen. Their package comes with linen and when we went it was sent up for an event silimar to a wedding. We were told that`s how a wedding set up would look like. The linen was extremely wrinkle which turned me off immediately. Surprising what really made us say `NO` to the venue was the ``bridal changeroom``. It was more of a rec and park washroom. My fiance told me when we left the venue that he would never let me change in there. The plus side of the venue is the price (around $500-$800 per table) and you can bring in your own alcohol.

3. Markham Event Centre - we booked this venue. This came as a huge surprise because we didn`t expect much. The venue is beautiful with its high ceiling. The price included the cocktail hour, food, open bar and decor. We cutomized our package to around $1000 per table. We are very happy with our choice because the venue is beautiful and it really impressed my fiance and he normally doesn`t care but he made a great effort to tell me how much he likes the venue. The staff is very helful and the linen is beautiful. I did end up going to the venue when they were setting up for a wedding and saw the linen work.

I hope that helps! Definitely go check the venues out for yourself but that is my opinion. It would be great to hear your updates as well. :)

MEC does have great staff. Ben Li is awesome there, think he's on RFD too. Food is great, clean facility. I snuck into the kitchen and it looks great.
× < >