• Mar 9th, 2017 1:59 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 25, 2005
113 posts

Baptism venue ideas...

Hi there everyone.

I am in the process of organizing my second daughter's Baptism, and am looking at possible venues for hosting the reception. We are expecting approximately 60-80 people.

For our first daughter, we had it at our house, but this year it would be very difficult as I have all my dad's stuff in our garage, as he passed away in January of this year. (Still have to get through it all...plugging away at this, but not done yet.)

I am in the Brampton area and have called a few places, but am wondering what other ideas, or what other people have managed to do in the past.

Many thanks,
Bees. :D
18 replies
Dec 18, 2006
829 posts
106 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Sorry for your loss.

I'm not familiar with the Brampton area but any of the restaurants that have a party room should fit the bill. What about something like The Host for Indian food? They have a location in Mississauga and they're food is amazing
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
965 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Don't forget that most churches have halls in the basement as well. Might be an option if you only need an actual location and not a catering service...
Sep 11, 2004
75 posts
Toronto
Most community centers have a per hour rate, usually $20-25/hr. My daughters reception for her baptism only required 4 hours, eventhough people left after 2 hours. It might be worth it.
Mar 5, 2002
731 posts
27 upvotes
bebesush wrote:
Apr 8th, 2008 6:28 pm
Most community centers have a per hour rate, usually $20-25/hr. My daughters reception for her baptism only required 4 hours, eventhough people left after 2 hours. It might be worth it.

bebesush,

I'm in the same predicament. But a question I have to ask is regarding liquor or serving of alcohol in the community centres. Even though it is a private function at a public place, can liquor be served and what steps does one have to go through? (i.e. 24 hr license? City hall?)

Cheers and Thanks!
Tano
[OP]
Nov 25, 2005
113 posts
tanmanwayne wrote:
Apr 8th, 2008 11:47 pm
bebesush,

I'm in the same predicament. But a question I have to ask is regarding liquor or serving of alcohol in the community centres. Even though it is a private function at a public place, can liquor be served and what steps does one have to go through? (i.e. 24 hr license? City hall?)

Cheers and Thanks!
Tano
Hey 'ya...you should've just turned around and asked me...literally! (Yep, that's my other half...)Hehehe.
Just look at the city's website, and it tells ya. I believe that for a place like a community centre, a liquor license is definitely required.

Bees.
Sep 11, 2004
75 posts
Toronto
Yeah you need to get a liquor license separately. BTW, if you book a community ctr and serve alcohol, the rate is usually more and you will have to pay insurance as well.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
3568 posts
33 upvotes
how bout reserving a section of a restaurant at a buffet? I went to a few baptisms where they did that.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2005
113 posts
bebesush wrote:
Apr 9th, 2008 12:59 pm
Yeah you need to get a liquor license separately. BTW, if you book a community ctr and serve alcohol, the rate is usually more and you will have to pay insurance as well.
Thanks for the info! The insurance part, I wasn't aware of.
Mar 5, 2002
731 posts
27 upvotes
ricoboxing wrote:
Apr 9th, 2008 1:24 pm
how bout reserving a section of a restaurant at a buffet? I went to a few baptisms where they did that.
We were thinking of booking the Mandarin Restaurant, (although I haven't called as of yet.)

But here's a question (of which I can probably find the answer just by calling them); lunch at Mandarin only goes until 3 pm on Sundays, but with the Baptism Service being until 1:30 pm, by the time people arrive at the restaurant, it'll be around 2:30; whereupon they will only have about 30 minutes to eat before they close it down.

In cases like this, do you know if they make any special accommodations for large parties? (we're looking at close to 80 people).

Cheers!
Tano :confused:
Jan 6, 2009
352 posts
10 upvotes
Mississauga
Looking for a venue for my daughters baptism, looking more for a restaurant in West Mississauga for around 50 ppl. I live in the meadowvale area.
Jan 23, 2016
1 posts
if you can do the baptism on a Saturday u could make it for the lunch for mandarin I just found out u can do the baptism on a saturday
Feb 25, 2015
728 posts
146 upvotes
York Region
I had my kid's baptism at a small hall for about 50 people. It was great, didn't have to worry about anything, just show up and enjoy. Great food and open bar. Renting a community will save you money but organizing the catering, buying alcohol, liquor license, setting up the room, etc.. can be a big hassle unless you love doing that sort of thing.
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1969 posts
146 upvotes
Wood Bridge
We did our baptism at a nice Italian restaurant, we negotiated a very good special plate price, we gave the restaurant our number of guests one week before the event, we put one bottle of wine per table, and in the end it worked out very well for us.
Thanks