• Jan 11th, 2019 4:13 pm
[OP]
Dec 28, 2011
101 posts
10 upvotes
Ottawa

Basement floor cracks in an older home

Hello,

We recently moved into a 30 year old home and I found some cracks on the basement floor. I understand it's usually normal to have some spider cracks on the concrete floor. But this crack seems a bit long and when I measured the depth, it's like 2 to 2.5 centimeter in depth at some point. Is this normal? How thick is the concrete floor usually?

Here's the pics

If I want to seal it, can I do it myself? What's the best product? Thanks.
6 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11778 posts
11427 upvotes
Oakville
Floor is usually about 4in thick and it's not structural, so no worries about the structure.
However, you should have your house tested for radon as cracks will let in even more. If you do have radon, you'll have to seal up the cracks and possibly install a radon ventilation fan if it's bad enough.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10469 posts
4674 upvotes
Brampton
Chip it out and patch it with some patching cement.

You'll want to drill it at the ends to release the stress
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9396 posts
1619 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If you happen to decide to rip it all up and do it better, I suggest you consider putting Styrofoam or something similar under the concrete to keep the floor warm. This way when you put down your floor (wood/tiles/carpet) the ground will be Much warmer.
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Dec 28, 2011
101 posts
10 upvotes
Ottawa
tebore wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:14 am
Chip it out and patch it with some patching cement.

You'll want to drill it at the ends to release the stress
Thanks. I am not sure I understand the "release the stress" part, where's the stress coming from? Do you have to drill?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5152 posts
2918 upvotes
Concrete floor in the basement is only there to cover the dirt. I’d fill it in with concrete / mortar caulk if it bothers you or you are worried about radon as the other poster mentioned.
Nov 3, 2016
49 posts
16 upvotes
Looking at the small bit of wall shown in the photo, I suspect the house is older than 30 years as the foundation wall looks like cinder blocks. I'd guess it's likely from the 60s or early 70s and possibly as early as the 50s, and Ottawa has a lot of houses from the era. But someone can correct me if I'm wrong. If the house is that old, it could've happened when the house settled down years ago.

It's crazy I know but The Little Mermaid by Disney is now 30 years old, from 1989. Scary.