Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga

Basement floor plan

So all the recent reno threads has me looking closer into getting my basement fully finished. Right now, it full height fibreglass insulation and vapour barrier. I currently have a three seater couch, 42" TV and PS4. I use it about once a week. The couch TV layout is similar to option 2 and 3. The area marked as gym could be kids play area instead.

Here is what I have to deal with. I could get more usable space if I move the furnace and water heater to the southern most wall but I'll still have to deal with a post in the middle of the floor plan and I'd like to avoid structural work. The post supports two floors above it.

Option 1
The TV seems too close to the seating area. A few doors won't be full height.

Option 2
Both areas are separated.

Option 3
I removed the door since it might be tough to keep an eye on the kids if the door is closed. It likely won't work as as gym if no door.

Which option looks better, or what can I switch around?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
1161 posts
518 upvotes
HRM
I like option 2. Let the kids have some space.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
westcoastyvr wrote: I like option 2. Let the kids have some space.
That was my runner up. The door might have to be slightly lower that a standard height so I'm not sure how it might look.

Current height is 83" but a door without framing is 80". Subfloor and ceiling framing will reduce it further.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
I would rethink the whole plan; wish I had installed tv so it was viewable from the gym...if you are going to use a treadmill, spinning bike, elliptical for long periods of time watching a good tv series helps.

"Current height is 83" but a door without framing is 80". Subfloor and ceiling framing will reduce it further."
You can buy doors 78" or 80" off the shelf at big box stores...78" can be cut if necessary
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
^^I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I've started a price breakdown so I'll look for those doors in the store.

I looked at a house with a similar layout that had a finished basement. They put the couch between the posts and the TV on the North wall. The area with the gym equipment was a bedroom
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3149 posts
1334 upvotes
Windsor
As Zamboni mentioned, being able to see the TV from the workout room might be a good idea. Could maybe just spin the couch-room around, and have some doors (or just an open "window") that would be open behind the heads of the people on the couch.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)