Basement Flooring Questions

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2017 3:19 pm
[OP]
Oct 16, 2007
983 posts
240 upvotes

Basement Flooring Questions

I had planned on starting to finish my basement in about 2 years or so. My basement will be ~700 sq.ft with 1 bathroom. My plan was to do the following:

- 1" foam board on walls + 2x6 studs 24" O/C & comfortbatt
- 1" foam on floor with a plywood top (poor mans subfloor)

Originally I had planned to do the walls first, and then the floors after, however my wife has requested that I start the flooring now, to make the basement more useable. I think we are going to go towards a click type vinyl plank. We have a sump pump in the basement that is pretty active (goes off every 15-20mins when its raining, and for a few days after too), but no other water issues (house is currenly 3 years old). If I do start the flooring now, I was wondering how best to complete it:

Option 1) Put down the flooring foam/wood right up to the concrete walls, install the planks, and then when we are ready to finish the rest of the basement remove the vinyl and fasten the walls to the top of the sub floor?
Option 1a) install the foam and wood but dont anchor in place so It can be removed at a later date (I dont know if I will have room to store it)
Option 2) Put down the flooring foam/wood and leave a 6.5" gap to the wall, to allow for the studs to sit on the floor.
Option 3) only do the vinyl for now, and then remove when we finish the rest when we are ready.

I also have a questiong a few other flooirng questions:

- Regarding the thickness of the plywood for the subfloor. How much of a difference can you feel if you go from a 7/16" or 5/8" or 3/4"? Does the foam give way to the point that the plywood bends?
- Is lamiante in the basement a big no-no due to potential moisture issues? i.e. if I ever have a leak I assume the floor will ne junk in addition to the plywood top of the subfloor?
- Insert Soemthing here so you will be able to recoginze me.
2 replies
Mar 10, 2011
348 posts
107 upvotes
Edmonton
Do you have 8ft ceilings or 9ft?

Thicker subfloor might make a difference if you have an 8 ft ceiling.

Consider getting a dry core product as an underlay, you can put laminate right over it
[OP]
Oct 16, 2007
983 posts
240 upvotes
8ft celings. I have also looked at the following:

AmDry EPS/OSB - I was not too sure about the whole connector system. I anticipate that the connectors will add ~$200 to the overall cost. WIth connectors the total cost is ~25% more than the XPS/Ply mentioned above
Barricade - I gain a bit more head room (1" height vs 1.625" as proposed) and lose some R value (R3.2 vs R5). I like the tongue and groove system. Seems like more work because the panels are smaller. Cost is 19% more than the XPS/ply as mentioned above
DMX airflow - best in terms of headroom, however there is minimum insualtion. I think I am limited to a minimum 6mm vinyl plank thickness. I am assuming that this setup will be more "bouncy" when I walk on it. XPS/Ply mentioned above is 50% more than the DMX setup.
Delta FL/MS - The Delta MS w/ plywood is the cheapest option by far. I get minimal insualtion, but I do gain in headroom. XPS/Ply mentioned above is 60% more than the Delta MS/Ply setup.

That brings me to another question: The Delta MS option is around $400 cheaper than the XPS/Ply as mentioned above. Would I be able to feel a difference in the floor between the 2? Would I recover those costs interms of heating/cooling in say 5 years?
- Insert Soemthing here so you will be able to recoginze me.