• Aug 29th, 2019 9:14 am
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 25, 2018
35 posts
6 upvotes

Basement guy not showing up regularly

Hi I hired contractor from kijiji.
He gave me copy of his driving license and business license.
We signed contract which says he will finish work in 8 weeks.
It’s 6 weeks already and he hasn’t got permit from city he says he applied for it and haven’t finished framing yet. I gave him 12,000$ already. Still I have to pay $8,000 at different stages for example $5000 when he completes framing. 1500 when washroom is ready and 1500 when flooring is done.

My basement is total mess now we cannot go to the basement (so many equipments and materials are everywhere.)
I don’t think he will finish it on time.
Can I sue him for not completing work on time?
What are the options I have if he doesn’t finish the basement in 12 weeks.
87 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4265 posts
1738 upvotes
Mississauga
Kijiji contractor strikes again!

Unless OP has a signed contract with the guy (doubtful) it’ll be an uphill battle suing him.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6110 posts
1737 upvotes
Whitby
Contract probably reads completion 8 weeks from permit/plans approved?

You had the right idea to pay on 'milestones', when stages of the project were completed. You didn't define those milestones properly, once framing is complete you will have paid 12k down and 5k framing. Should have been NO DOWN PAYMENT, initial payment when work commences, tools and materials brought in. That payment should have been 1/5 with much more thought going into next milestones. Depending on job of course framing completion is about 1/4-1/3 of job done....you don't want to have paid 17/20 at that point.

Suing for work not completed on time shouldn't be discussed, he's going to walk away once discussion goes that way. Wait till he completes framing then discuss him being behind schedule, "lets make a more realistic schedule/payment milestones".
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4719 posts
1074 upvotes
Kitchener
Last basement I did took me 320 labour hours plus 30 hours for the electrical contractor, so close to 9 weeks at 40 hours per week. The framing part including bulkheads was 36 hours
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6598 posts
2966 upvotes
Paris
Zamboni wrote:
Aug 24th, 2019 9:24 am
Contract probably reads completion 8 weeks from permit/plans approved?

You had the right idea to pay on 'milestones', when stages of the project were completed. You didn't define those milestones properly, once framing is complete you will have paid 12k down and 5k framing. Should have been NO DOWN PAYMENT, initial payment when work commences, tools and materials brought in. That payment should have been 1/5 with much more thought going into next milestones. Depending on job of course framing completion is about 1/4-1/3 of job done....you don't want to have paid 17/20 at that point.

Suing for work not completed on time shouldn't be discussed, he's going to walk away once discussion goes that way. Wait till he completes framing then discuss him being behind schedule, "lets make a more realistic schedule/payment milestones".
$12k just to start seems like a TONNE. Framing a basement with 2x4s is really the easiest part. He might try and walk away with that money after framing.

I’d call the city and see if he applied for the permit. I think you are in deep trouble with this guy OP
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1785 posts
1111 upvotes
username0001 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2019 8:35 am
Hi I hired contractor from kijiji.
He gave me copy of his driving license and business license.
We signed contract which says he will finish work in 8 weeks.
It’s 6 weeks already and he hasn’t got permit from city he says he applied for it and haven’t finished framing yet. I gave him 12,000$ already. Still I have to pay $8,000 at different stages for example $5000 when he completes framing. 1500 when washroom is ready and 1500 when flooring is done.

My basement is total mess now we cannot go to the basement (so many equipments and materials are everywhere.)
I don’t think he will finish it on time.
Can I sue him for not completing work on time?
What are the options I have if he doesn’t finish the basement in 12 weeks.
Construction takes time and it's normal for it to go over budget, both time and money. Have you tried to contact the guy? Is he ignoring your calls? If you can get ahold of him, try to understand what the issue is. Sometimes it's red tape with the city and it may be out of his hands.

Some contractors take on way too much work then they can handle. They get down payments and use the cash to keep existing projects on the go, so essentially using you as a free line of credit. Hopefully you can get in touch with him and get the job completed. Suing due to being late is tough, what did it say in your contract in regards to late finishing?
[OP]
Oct 25, 2018
35 posts
6 upvotes
It says nothing about late finishing. He said city will take time but he can finish framing and electrical before permit is issued.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1687 posts
985 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
username0001 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2019 1:27 pm
It says nothing about late finishing. He said city will take time but he can finish framing and electrical before permit is issued.
That is a red flag to me, Kijiji contractor doing electrical before permits?
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Feb 19, 2019
268 posts
197 upvotes
Stouffville ON
username0001 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2019 1:27 pm
Are you aware that electrical permits are not issued by the city but by ESA, only people who take the permits are permitted to do the work, and the only once who can take the permits are licensed electricians or house owners?
Full Time & Full Service / Rebate Realtor.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4265 posts
1738 upvotes
Mississauga
But he needs to be a certified electrical contractor in order to do pull an ESA permit and work in a customer’s premises.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4719 posts
1074 upvotes
Kitchener
mrweather wrote:
Aug 24th, 2019 6:42 pm
But he needs to be a certified electrical contractor in order to do pull an ESA permit and work in a customer’s premises.
Assuming he's in Ontario
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2648 posts
1460 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
If there was no permit issued, you may be in another heap of trouble besides getting screwed out of the money.
Applying for a permit, does not mean it will be approved. Hopefully you are not intending to use the basement as a rental unit.

Giving this guy that much is a sure way of getting screwed. Hopefully that won't happen, and he'll complete your project. DO NOT give him a cent more until the work is done.