• Aug 29th, 2019 9:14 am
Tags:
Oct 25, 2018
52 posts
12 upvotes
Thank you
I will call city and ESA both tomorrow
Thank you all for this information.
ChicoQuente wrote: OP, please do not listen to this person. This is horrible advice. For starters there is no such thing as an "unlicensed electrician". If they are unlicensed in Ontario they are not an electrician, and can not legally perform electrical work. Under no circumstance will he be given a permit from the ESA for the electrical work without being a master electrician (or employing one that endorses permits for him). There is no grey area here at all. No master electrician to endorse the permit (or homeowner doing their own work) and a permit will not be issued for the electrical work. In Canada it is illegal for the work to be performed without a permit, it is as simple as that. The permit system is NOT simply to "collect taxes". It is to ensure work is done safely and properly to code to protect life and property.

As was mentioned by someone else just see what happens if you ever have an insurance claim due to something related to the illegally performed electrical work. This thread alone proves you have been told this work is illegal and you can absolutely be held liable for it, and ESA can hit you with massive fines.

Personally if this "electrician" tries to convince you to allow him to do the work I would report him to ESA and let him get slapped with some massive fines. Sure it won't get your money back to you, BUT it will take the money out of his pockets when he gets the fine for performing illegal electrical work.

Again he has lied to you. Here is what ESA has to say about it:

The electrical permit is issued by ESA and not your city. Maybe your building permit is held up but it has no bearing at all on getting the electrical permit, and in my experience I have never seen ESA hold up issuing a permit before. If I were you I would call ESA tomorrow to confirm a permit has been pulled for your address. You'll know pretty quick if this guy is being honest with you.
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
615 upvotes
Toronto
eonibm wrote: Being licensed DOES mean something. Try telling your insurance company on a home insurance claim due to an electrical fire that 'being licensed means nothing'.

Geez, the totally wrong advice people like you will give on here boggles the mind...
I have worked in the housing industry building them, I have seen licensed electricians making shortcuts and not insulating lots of their work, see them in a hurry just drilling holes through wood studs and passing their wiring there. If its 5:00pm in the afternoon and they are about to finish a job but they run out of hangers and screws for the last 20 ft, do you think they run to the hardware store and buy more, or come back the next day for 15 mins? No, they just tie their wiring in knots to a stud inside your wall and close the wall up, and move to the next job. Its like saying that a licensed 80-year-old lady in a Toyota Corolla on the 401 is a better driver than an unlicensed 18-wheel truck driver in India who drives daily in the Himilayan mountains.

The "license" is only good for liability issues, as you said, for insurance, and if your house burns down good luck thinking you can track down or make that electrician accountable for your burnt house.
Jul 2, 2013
794 posts
220 upvotes
Aurora
MusicBox wrote: I have worked in the housing industry building them, I have seen licensed electricians making shortcuts and not insulating lots of their work, see them in a hurry just drilling holes through wood studs and passing their wiring there. If its 5:00pm in the afternoon and they are about to finish a job but they run out of hangers and screws for the last 20 ft, do you think they run to the hardware store and buy more, or come back the next day for 15 mins? No, they just tie their wiring in knots to a stud inside your wall and close the wall up, and move to the next job. Its like saying that a licensed 80-year-old lady in a Toyota Corolla on the 401 is a better driver than an unlicensed 18-wheel truck driver in India who drives daily in the Himilayan mountains.

The "license" is only good for liability issues, as you said, for insurance, and if your house burns down good luck thinking you can track down or make that electrician accountable for your burnt house.
Really you should stay out of threads like this. Your advice.. or lack there of is really only doing the uneducated users more harm than good, actually no good at all. A licensed electrician can legally do the work and legally apply for a permit which gets the work inspected. The OP would probably not be in this situation if they didnt read shithead comments like yours.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
MusicBox wrote: I have worked in the housing industry building them, I have seen licensed electricians making shortcuts and not insulating lots of their work, see them in a hurry just drilling holes through wood studs and passing their wiring there.
No you haven’t. It’s not how builders and the permit process even work. Inspections are done on electrical before walls are closed in. Also, most builder homes are not wired by electricians but rather cheap labour then inspected and signed off before permits are closed. The standards are sadly less for new builds on who can wire and just needs a sign off before going live.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10331 posts
6696 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Makes me worried about our framing... took two guys a whole day [about 10-12 hours] to frame our basement... think like 900 sq ft??

Wood was delivered week earlier in basement.

Even the drywall just took a day [6-7 guys that just do drywall].

The taping, mudding, sanding, repeat took like 5-6 days.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5429 posts
5284 upvotes
GTA
Do you have another 12K stash for me? I will star- dust your chimney and and redirect milky way, so Santa always comes to your place first. See my multiple professional Kijiji ads.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
username0001 wrote: But that way I will put my 12K on risk
You already put your 12K at risk. It is almost certainly gone. I will be surprised if the permit application was even made.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6327 posts
2515 upvotes
does it matter?
username0001 wrote: Hi I hired contractor from kijiji.
He gave me copy of his driving license and business license.
We signed contract which says he will finish work in 8 weeks.
It’s 6 weeks already and he hasn’t got permit from city he says he applied for it and haven’t finished framing yet. I gave him 12,000$ already. Still I have to pay $8,000 at different stages for example $5000 when he completes framing. 1500 when washroom is ready and 1500 when flooring is done.

My basement is total mess now we cannot go to the basement (so many equipments and materials are everywhere.)
I don’t think he will finish it on time.
Can I sue him for not completing work on time?
What are the options I have if he doesn’t finish the basement in 12 weeks.
contact Pat Foran of CTV or Sean O'Shea of global news. They will help.

https://globalnews.ca/tag/consumer-sos/
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
615 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote: You already put your 12K at risk. It is almost certainly gone. I will be surprised if the permit application was even made.
Why is this rampant all over and unpunishable? Contractors ripping off people? They should be put in jail for 3 or 5 years, if authorities did this all this would stop immediately.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Tommy74 wrote: Do you have another 12K stash for me? I will star- dust your chimney and and redirect milky way, so Santa always comes to your place first. See my multiple professional Kijiji ads.
Don’t make fun of the guy. People have clearly stated it’s a mistake now he is asking what to do.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
MusicBox wrote: I have worked in the housing industry building them, I have seen licensed electricians making shortcuts and not insulating lots of their work, see them in a hurry just drilling holes through wood studs and passing their wiring there. If its 5:00pm in the afternoon and they are about to finish a job but they run out of hangers and screws for the last 20 ft, do you think they run to the hardware store and buy more, or come back the next day for 15 mins? No, they just tie their wiring in knots to a stud inside your wall and close the wall up, and move to the next job. Its like saying that a licensed 80-year-old lady in a Toyota Corolla on the 401 is a better driver than an unlicensed 18-wheel truck driver in India who drives daily in the Himilayan mountains.

Oh I see. Because you once upon a time saw a licensed electrician do something wrong you condemn them all? That can happen in any trade and is no reason to advise others to use unlicensed trades. Sheesh!

You might also have forgotten that the electrical has to be inspected.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
MusicBox wrote: Why is this rampant all over and unpunishable? Contractors ripping off people? They should be put in jail for 3 or 5 years, if authorities did this all this would stop immediately.
It's a civil matter. You exchanged money for a promised, future service. Just because the service hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean the guy ran off with it.
:confused:
Oct 25, 2018
52 posts
12 upvotes
I called the city and they said they did not receive any application from my address. I decided to apply for permit by myself and I will tell the contractor that I got/applied for permit when he comes back to resume work.
I think he wanted to finish basement without permit.
Thanks to all of you.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
6323 posts
3867 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
username0001 wrote: I called the city and they said they did not receive any application from my address. I decided to apply for permit by myself and I will tell the contractor that I got/applied for permit when he comes back to resume work.
Thanks to all of you.
Have you contacted ESA about your permit for electrical work? Keep in mind you still need that and it is separate from your building permit. Also do NOT pull that permit yourself if he hasn't obtained one. The person/company doing the work must pull it. If you pull the permit you must do the work yourself.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
Sounds like OP will be doing the electrical himself

I can't wait to see the electrician inspector come in, ask some basic questions and the OP breaks down and says he got someone else to do it.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
username0001 wrote: I called the city and they said they did not receive any application from my address. I decided to apply for permit by myself and I will tell the contractor that I got/applied for permit when he comes back to resume work.
Thanks to all of you.
You still believe he's planning to do the work? I don't...
Oct 25, 2018
52 posts
12 upvotes
He said 12 weeks and this is 7th week. I will wait until 12 weeks then I will call police.
Chickinvic wrote: You still believe he's planning to do the work? I don't...
Oct 25, 2018
52 posts
12 upvotes
Whenever this guy will come I will clarify about ESA
tmkf_patryk wrote: Sounds like OP will be doing the electrical himself

I can't wait to see the electrician inspector come in, ask some basic questions and the OP breaks down and says he got someone else to do it.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1629 posts
536 upvotes
Mississauga
I feel bad for u OP, but I will the first to tell you that the so called contractor is going to take your money and run as soon as u tell him you are pulling permits out. You did it all backwards OP. Not sheiting on you but really u should have done your homework.
"With today's sheep mentality sometimes I feel like going to a wall and just bang my head"