• Mar 14th, 2015 9:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2002
1091 posts
477 upvotes

Basement - Kitchen or bar?

Wondering what you guys think of having a seperate kitchen/bar in the basement?

We do have a walkup (basement to backyard), bathroom, laundry and entertainment area already exist.

I get alot of people saying NO, just a bar, your old fashioned or "European" and others say, a kitchen is nice to have.

IMO, I would say if I didn't have a seperate enterance, then bar would make sense.

Basement is above ground and gets alot of natural light as we have large basement windows.

I leaning toward bar/kitchen combo - F/S/DW but wife isn't sure about the stove part. whish doesn't make sense to me.

From a resale value, i would think it's more valuable as it can be legally rented out as the basement has it's own entrance.

We're finding we spend more time downstairs because we just adopted new puppies but only time will tell if that continues.
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
Unless you are going to rent out your basement, I would go for bar.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
And to be clear, it would take a whole lot more than a kitchen to make it a legal rental. ;)
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2002
1091 posts
477 upvotes
I hear yeah.
CSK'sMom wrote: And to be clear, it would take a whole lot more than a kitchen to make it a legal rental. ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
2290 posts
2343 upvotes
Toronto
I vote for the bar. That is what I am doing to my basement.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
Wet bar with rough ins to be a full kitchen (I.e. stove wiring), if desired down the road
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
474 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Bar. And come take mine out of my basement. Solid oak with black faux leather surfaces. Very 70s. Brass foot rail included.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
eldeejay wrote: Bar. And come take mine out of my basement. Solid oak with black faux leather surfaces. Very 70s. Brass foot rail included.
Previous owners built a bar with parquet (floor) surface, fake wood paneling side, and a neon under light.
I think I win.
Apr 22, 2007
324 posts
159 upvotes
Markham
Bar. Depending on how big the basement is, I think bar is sufficient (unless you plan to rent out in the future). Would give more space for other stuff (and probably cheaper).
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
eldeejay wrote: Bar. And come take mine out of my basement. Solid oak with black faux leather surfaces. Very 70s. Brass foot rail included.
My dream to have one like that downstairs.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9335 posts
5636 upvotes
How many people spend time drinking at their own basement bar? That sounds pretty lame to me.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
Toukolou wrote: How many people spend time drinking at their own basement bar? That sounds pretty lame to me.
I do when I have people over. Nothing lame about it.

OP, go with a wet bar and a dishwasher. If you plan on renting out in the future or selling in the near future, do a rough in for a kitchen but leave the stove out for now and go with a small bar fridge. Basement kitchens are ugly. Besides, just having a kitchen may not make it a legal apartment.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
How much are you selling it for? Send me a PM with pictures, I don't want to derail this thread. I'm in the market for a nice bar.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1117 upvotes
Mississauga
Toukolou wrote: How many people spend time drinking at their own basement bar? That sounds pretty lame to me.
I guess that depends on how often one entertains. In my case it's usually once a month and the bar is the focal point of our basement. The basement is set up for home theater, darts, card table, table tennis, putting mat (golf), yet the majority of people sit at the bar and listen to music while playing darts.

To answer your question, not many people sit at there own bar by themselves but we sit at ours about 12 times per year and our bar that I made is about 20 years old so say.................240 times. Mind you once our kids grew up they use it almost every weekend so that number would be more.

Without question, it was well worth the money as a matter of fact I find it's a bit date even as an oak bar so I'm thinking of redoing it at a cost of maybe a thousand in material costs alone.