Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
2004 posts
1181 upvotes
London

Basement Shelving Wall Prep?

So we just moved in to a new build house (exhausting!) and would like to add shelving to the basement walls for storage.

The basement is studded (2x4 wood) with floor to ceiling batted insulation with vapour barrier.

I was just going to use large "L" brackets screwed through the barrier into the studs and then place shelving boards (plywood or whatever) on them.

Should I put drywall up first? I don't care if it looks aesthetically nice or not. Does it matter if the screws puncture the barrier? Not really looking to put in stand alone shelves though.

I'm probably making this much more complicated than it needs to be. Thoughts?

Thanks.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
530 upvotes
I wouldn't bother with the drywall. It's a lot of work to get the sheets, bring them down to the basement and put them up. You will have to cut all the sheets since you probably don't have 8' from floor to joists. You will have to dispose of scraps, etc a lot of work just to put up shelves. Then later on if you decide to finish the basement your drywall will have to be removed to run wiring, so that would be a big waste of effort and materials.

Alternatively you could use the thin panelling stuff, but again tons of extra work just for shelves, and if you finish the basement later it all has to come out.

Don't worry about the screws going through the VB, this has to be done to put anything up on the walls.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
2004 posts
1181 upvotes
London
notfromqc wrote: I wouldn't bother with the drywall. It's a lot of work to get the sheets, bring them down to the basement and put them up. You will have to cut all the sheets since you probably don't have 8' from floor to joists. You will have to dispose of scraps, etc a lot of work just to put up shelves. Then later on if you decide to finish the basement your drywall will have to be removed to run wiring, so that would be a big waste of effort and materials.

Alternatively you could use the thin panelling stuff, but again tons of extra work just for shelves, and if you finish the basement later it all has to come out.

Don't worry about the screws going through the VB, this has to be done to put anything up on the walls.
Thanks for your thoughts. I just didn't want to mess up a brand new house.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6698 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
In case any basement issues [water] would this affect warranty?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
530 upvotes
Anywhere you nail or screw through the VB and the VB gets covered by drywall, panelling or shelf bracket, the VB is pressed tight to the stud doesn't leave much room for air to pass through. Tears and punctures in exposed areas should be taped over with the red tuck tape.

It just occurred to me to ask, was any wiring done already in the walls? Were any receptacles provided? Even if a few receptacles have been put in, it probably won't be enough for future use if/when you decide to finish the basement, so you'll have to remove the vapour barrier to put in wiring later anyway. At that time you could remove the staples at the bottom and hold it up out of the way while wiring is put in. If VB is too badly damaged you can always replace it, it is inexpensive in the overall grand scheme of things if finishing a basement.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
530 upvotes
Any water issue in the basement is not going to be as a result of putting up shelf brackets into studs, it will be due to cracks in foundation wall or basement floor.

Money is probably tight after just moving in, so OP is probably not thinking of finishing basement right away anyway, but usual advice for moving into new house is to wait for a few years to allow house to settle before finishing basement.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
3138 posts
2300 upvotes
You can definitely put some brackets up and add shelves that you want if you want. Keep in mind the cheapest L brackets aren't super strong. If you want better strength buy ones that have a reinforcing bar that sort of makes it like a full triangle. Be careful of any wiring in the studs. Normally you want to use screws that aren't too long but since you can see everything with no drywall that shouldn't be an issue.

Personally I'm a big fan of the standalone chrome wire shelving units like the ones sold at Costco. They're made by Vancouver Classics. They go on sale for around 100 bucks and you can't beat them in term of strength and storage for the price. You can use them on casters (wheels) or flat feet. There's also the cheap plastic shelving units for around $30 that are supposed to be pretty good too.

link to the product (pretty sure this is the same one that's sold at Costco):
https://www.vancouverclassics.com/products.php?pid=341
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
I would cut the plastic vapour barrier (can retape when done) and screw 2x4's to the wall studs at 90* at height you want each shelf. Do the same every second stud...then screw a longer stud from floor up at ends of the 2x4's. Strong as heck and cheap, think its called a ladder shelf. Something like in this pic, you can make the span long and supported by 2x4 lengthwise (as in pic) or short span with the supports every second stud.
2x4's are $3 each