• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2020 4:47 pm
[OP]
Jun 26, 2012
228 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto

Basement wall insulation cost

I am considering having some parts of my basements walls insulated before upgrading the flooring with Dricore R+. For the moment the only insulation is polystyrene panel glued on the top half of the house brick foundation and would like for something like Roxul to be added between the wood studs. I have about 60ft linear. How much should I budget?
14 replies
[OP]
Jun 26, 2012
228 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
smitty9999 wrote: Homedepot.ca
I am more interested in getting an idea of the overall cost thru a contractor.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2596 posts
762 upvotes
Windsor
djskynet wrote: I am more interested in getting an idea of the overall cost thru a contractor.
So, your basement already has the top part insulated, and studs installed, but you want a contractor to put Roxul between the studs? If so, that's very cheap; a few hours of work, very unlikely you'll get a contractor to do that. If you want a contractor to insulate the bottom half with more polystyrene, they'll have to remove the studs to install it, which would be more work, but probably still below what a normal contractor would deal with.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4765 posts
1148 upvotes
Kitchener
Roxul R14 is $55/bag and you would need 7 bags. A contractor would charge a full day of labour for installing even though it won't take a full day, so $70/hr X 8 hours. Of course you can find cheaper labour for cash payment
[OP]
Jun 26, 2012
228 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Drthorne wrote: Roxul R14 is $55/bag and you would need 7 bags. A contractor would charge a full day of labour for installing even though it won't take a full day, so $70/hr X 8 hours. Of course you can find cheaper labour for cash payment
Thanks! It would likely be more time than that as existing drywall would have to be cut, and then put back and patched before I can repaint.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4765 posts
1148 upvotes
Kitchener
djskynet wrote: Thanks! It would likely be more time than that as existing drywall would have to be cut, and then put back and patched before I can repaint.
Be sure to tell that to the contractor before they send you quotes
[OP]
Jun 26, 2012
228 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Ok - so I got some quotes and am thinking moving forward with this. A couple of questions
-difference between R14 and R22 for Roxul? Just the R value?
-in between brick wall foundation and the stud where Roxul will be put in there is a gap of about 2-3inches. My understanding is that it is actually a good thing so that wall can breath and no moisture however one contractor said I should just insulate the whole gap with foam. I don't think the latter is a good ideas right?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7433 posts
3552 upvotes
Paris
djskynet wrote: Ok - so I got some quotes and am thinking moving forward with this. A couple of questions
-difference between R14 and R22 for Roxul? Just the R value?
-in between brick wall foundation and the stud where Roxul will be put in there is a gap of about 2-3inches. My understanding is that it is actually a good thing so that wall can breath and no moisture however one contractor said I should just insulate the whole gap with foam. I don't think the latter is a good ideas right?
R14 is 3.5” and r22 is 5.5”. If you hard pack 5.5” into 2-3” you are going to have a bad time.

I agree to do the whole thing with foam. Foam is a vapour barrier at 1”.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
[OP]
Jun 26, 2012
228 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote: R14 is 3.5” and r22 is 5.5”. If you hard pack 5.5” into 2-3” you are going to have a bad time.

I agree to do the whole thing with foam. Foam is a vapour barrier at 1”.
I have always been under the impression that a gap between brick wall and inside wall was the way to go
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1377 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
2 inches of closed cell spray foam is best. Vapor barrier and will prevent damp/moisture from entering your wall cavity. Sounds like you have sufficient depth in stud bays and could even throw Roxul batts in for additional R value, and would also help with sound absorption
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7433 posts
3552 upvotes
Paris
djskynet wrote: I have always been under the impression that a gap between brick wall and inside wall was the way to go
Surely the interior of your house foundation isn’t clay brick? If it’s anything but clay brick, yes I’d spray foam it. Block wall or poured, 100% spray foam. Gaps between the wall and your 2x4s mean that any leak anywhere in your insulation spreads to your entire basement. That’s the way my house is done and every year I discuss stripping the drywall and redoing it.
[OP]
Jun 26, 2012
228 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote: Surely the interior of your house foundation isn’t clay brick? If it’s anything but clay brick, yes I’d spray foam it. Block wall or poured, 100% spray foam. Gaps between the wall and your 2x4s mean that any leak anywhere in your insulation spreads to your entire basement. That’s the way my house is done and every year I discuss stripping the drywall and redoing it.
It is actually clay bricks! And to my understanding this needs to "breathe" and is also porous. Also, the inside water proofing only covers the bottom half hence why I thought Roxul panel inside studs and leaving a gap between said panel and bricks would be better to help with potential moisture and humidity.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7433 posts
3552 upvotes
Paris
djskynet wrote: It is actually clay bricks! And to my understanding this needs to "breathe" and is also porous. Also, the inside water proofing only covers the bottom half hence why I thought Roxul panel inside studs and leaving a gap between said panel and bricks would be better to help with potential moisture and humidity.
My Uncle in the 80s spray foamed his old rock and dirt wall foundation and still lives there (family farm my grands owned) and he still swears by it. Spray foam is a vapour barrier but you are beyond my limits of knowledge.