Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2011
1617 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa

Basic insurance on 2007 Mazda3 more expensive than full coverage on 2013 Edge

Can someone explain to me why basic coverage, 0km drive to work/home, less than 5000km per year, covered one side on a 2007 Mazda3 GS is just as expensive as full coverage, 20000km per year, 25km drive to work, no fault coverage, etc. on a 2013 Ford Edge?

All the insurance person kept saying "it's the make/model"... really?
37 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2007
1224 posts
92 upvotes
Possibly the average accident/injury claims of persons in a 2007 Mazda 3 far exceed those of a 2013 Ford Edge, which may be a bigger vehicle with additional safety features.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
More 2007 Mazda3's on the road than 2013 Ford Edges.

And most Mazda3 drivers drive their cars like M3s.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
thetim wrote: Possibly the average accident/injury claims of persons in a 2007 Mazda 3 far exceed those of a 2013 Ford Edge, which may be a bigger vehicle with additional safety features.
^^^^^

this and
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: More 2007 Mazda3's on the road than 2013 Ford Edges.

And most Mazda3 drivers drive their cars like M3s.
this with some crazy algorithm places Mazda into much higher risk of a vehicle. I would guess there are many other factors which you and I will never know and while the premiums reflect this we would never agree as being relevant to either one of us.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2011
1617 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa
I would LOVE to see the algorithm that spits out the price for coverage on a Mazda 3. The number of claims from Mazda 3 drivers have to be some ridiculous high number to make it where I can have all the comprehensive coverage on the Ford Edge and still be at the same price on the Mazda 3.

I can't imagine what a bad driver with full coverage on a Mazda 3 would pay in Ontario...
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1067 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Full coverage on my 2013 Mazdaspeed3 is lower than a Civic (not SI). I kid you not.

Check with another provider/get a broker.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1264 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
Full coverage with depreciation waiver on my 2013 Mazda 3 is lower than Civic, Corolla and most other compact cars.

How much is your premium?

It could also be the area you live in.
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Also remember things like theft do factor into insurance premiums so cars like Civics and Corollas are also high because of that.
Dec 10, 2003
561 posts
18 upvotes
can you give us some numbers on the costs?
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
The mazda3 is like the Prelude/Civic etc used to be back in the 1990s / 2000s so lots of young kids driving it modding it and crashing it. In comparison the Ford edge is more likely to be a a soccer mom car, used by adults with kids, hauling things etc than raced outside
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2907 posts
2135 upvotes
Calgary
insurance works in a weird way. and + on getting a broker. You will be surprised as to how low they can get you the rates. To get you an idea, I had a vehicle 2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES (very basic, 4 dr sedan in a boring color with a boring interior, overall boring car). my third party only (one sided coverage) on it was $65/month (i am 27 with 1 partial claim 2 years back). When I sold my mitsu and bought my 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T (a 2 door sports car) my premium went down to $40/month for third party liability coverage. Probably because there arent many in the roads here in calgary. So maybe this might be the reason why insurance is high on your mazda3.

Remember kids love this car and the possibility of it being in accidents and claim is very high. In comparison, your 2013 Edge isnt a vehicle that everyone can afford (brand new could be 30k-45k) and generally people in there 35+ drive it so less claims.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2011
1617 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa
Jenuine wrote: Full coverage with depreciation waiver on my 2013 Mazda 3 is lower than Civic, Corolla and most other compact cars.

How much is your premium?

It could also be the area you live in.
Mazda3 - $620
Edge - $650

Why would my area affect one car more than the other?
josipm wrote: can you give us some numbers on the costs?
Mazda3 - $620
Edge - $650
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2011
1617 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa
george__ wrote: The mazda3 is like the Prelude/Civic etc used to be back in the 1990s / 2000s so lots of young kids driving it modding it and crashing it. In comparison the Ford edge is more likely to be a a soccer mom car, used by adults with kids, hauling things etc than raced outside
masarwar wrote: insurance works in a weird way. and + on getting a broker. You will be surprised as to how low they can get you the rates. To get you an idea, I had a vehicle 2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES (very basic, 4 dr sedan in a boring color with a boring interior, overall boring car). my third party only (one sided coverage) on it was $65/month (i am 27 with 1 partial claim 2 years back). When I sold my mitsu and bought my 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T (a 2 door sports car) my premium went down to $40/month for third party liability coverage. Probably because there arent many in the roads here in calgary. So maybe this might be the reason why insurance is high on your mazda3.

Remember kids love this car and the possibility of it being in accidents and claim is very high. In comparison, your 2013 Edge isnt a vehicle that everyone can afford (brand new could be 30k-45k) and generally people in there 35+ drive it so less claims.
Wouldn't my age/driving record have an impact on the premium regardless of the type of car it is? So what if kids race the damn thing if I don't have a single accident/traffic violation? Why must I get penalized lol
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1264 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
downd wrote: Mazda3 - $620
Edge - $650

Why would my area affect one car more than the other?
That's really high for BOTH vehicles. I pay $137 in Toronto and I'm in my 20's.

Are you sure you don't have any convictions or tickets on your record?
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2011
1617 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa
Jenuine wrote: That's really high for BOTH vehicles. I pay $137 in Toronto and I'm in my 20's.

Are you sure you don't have any convictions or tickets on your record?
$137 per year? My numbers are YEARLY lol
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2907 posts
2135 upvotes
Calgary
downd wrote: Wouldn't my age/driving record have an impact on the premium regardless of the type of car it is? So what if kids race the damn thing if I don't have a single accident/traffic violation? Why must I get penalized lol
You have to understand that the type of the vehicle and year takes a huge part. The other factor is that how many times have this vehicle been in accident and specifically in your age group as well. There are quite a few complex algorith that are taken into account and all of them affect your credit. honestly, mazda3 is a fun car so you gotta pay to play!
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1264 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
downd wrote: $137 per year? My numbers are YEARLY lol
Mine is per month... lol. If your numbers are per year then what are you complaining about? That's pretty cheap...
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2011
1617 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa
masarwar wrote: You have to understand that the type of the vehicle and year takes a huge part. The other factor is that how many times have this vehicle been in accident and specifically in your age group as well. There are quite a few complex algorith that are taken into account and all of them affect your credit. honestly, mazda3 is a fun car so you gotta pay to play!
Don't get me wrong, I love the car but I'm sure I can find other 'fun" cars which are cheaper to insure. I'm sure that the price makes the
Mazda3 easier to buy/lease to the younger crowd making everyone else pay for it. Need to buy more expensive toys I guess!
Jenuine wrote: Mine is per month... lol. If your numbers are per year then what are you complaining about? That's pretty cheap...
I'm complaining about the fact an 8 year old 4 door sedan with basic coverage is almost the same premium as a 2 year old fully covered SUV. I know my rates are low, I never disputed that lol.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1264 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
downd wrote: I'm complaining about the fact an 8 year old 4 door sedan with basic coverage is almost the same premium as a 2 year old fully covered SUV. I know my rates are low, I never disputed that lol.
Like someone said, the age of the car is irrelevant. When I was shopping around, it was cheaper to insure a brand new car vs an older one. If you want cheaper rates, your best bet is to continue to shop around for another car and compare. You could also try a broker.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2907 posts
2135 upvotes
Calgary
downd wrote: Don't get me wrong, I love the car but I'm sure I can find other 'fun" cars which are cheaper to insure. I'm sure that the price makes the
Mazda3 easier to buy/lease to the younger crowd making everyone else pay for it. Need to buy more expensive toys I guess!

I'm complaining about the fact an 8 year old 4 door sedan with basic coverage is almost the same premium as a 2 year old fully covered SUV. I know my rates are low, I never disputed that lol.
More expensive.. or more rarer toys ;)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)