Food & Drink

BASMATI RICE - Which is good? Tilda, LalQuila, India Gate, No.817, Morni .... more?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2016 1:38 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 26, 2004
186 posts
29 upvotes
Georgetown

BASMATI RICE - Which is good? Tilda, LalQuila, India Gate, No.817, Morni .... more?

I went to a East Indian grocerry store today to pick up a bag of Basmati Rice, but its so damn confusing. They had over 15-16 variety/Brands of Basmati Rice. I thought it would be easy, but apparently it was not.

Each brand varies in price... Starting from $6.99 -to- $18.99 for a 10Lbs bag. Tilda Brand rice was the most expensive one.

I am curious what brand you guys use, I bought one bag of Tilda and a Bag of India Gate , but they both lookes same to me. India Gate is only $9.99, and Tilda was double the price.
Now days Walmart, No frills and FoodBasics are also carrying Bastmati rice, I am not sure about their quality.

What do you guys think? which is the best and valued rice?
63 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5002 posts
528 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
I get confused by all the variety, too, especially in Pan-Asian stores.

I've had good luck when there is a limited choice and good label information. Most recently I picked up India Star Platinum at Costco. It says long grain, aged to perfection. The cleavage on the label attracted me, I'll admit :lol: .
If it said aged in caves I'd be even happier, but that may be pricier and more exclusive.

One thing I've noticed is the way basmati reheats in the microwave: the cheaper ones fill the area with a strong musty smell I don't like.

On other boards, I've noticed Tilda gets a lot of recommendations; let us know how you like it :)
[OP]
Jan 26, 2004
186 posts
29 upvotes
Georgetown
I believe tilda is over rated. It's way to expensive ,
Jun 10, 2008
923 posts
79 upvotes
We get Tilda whenever it goes on sale (something like 10$ for 10lbs)... and occasionally India Gate
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1943 posts
19 upvotes
This is a good post.

I LOVE basmati rice so I'm interested in reading what others feel is the best one on the market and why.
The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it. - Anonymous
Jun 3, 2010
728 posts
121 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I have bought Tilda in the past mainly because of the review I saw on America's Test Kitchen. They said it was the most fragrant one they tested.

I was not impressed with my results. I think it is quite expensive and that I have had more fragrant results with a mid range bag in the past (but I forgot the brand).
Feb 8, 2010
306 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Usually we stock up on Tilda rice when it goes on sale they few times it does, and luckily it manages to tide us over until the next sale :P

I'm sure our family tried other brands, but Tilda's just what we stuck with for so long now. Maybe it was advertising, but we've been happy with it all these years. Granted I'm no great connoisseur, so I can't really compare flavours. If anything, I probably can't appreciate it as much as I should. It's just what I eat with my curry chicken xD

Once upon a time it actually wasn't as expensive as it is now, so it was fine to buy it often back then.

But we've also had Suraj Basamati Rice. I thought it was pretty good, so that's my personal back-up.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2004
186 posts
29 upvotes
Georgetown
exactly... same issue with everyone !!!! Everyone is stuck with TILDA brand (so am i ), but i am sure there are other comparable brand atleast 30% cheaper than Tilda.

i have tried Daawat and India Gate. Dawat seems to be little better than India Gate, but then again i am not a pro. thats why started this post.

its so strange with all these RFD going, we dont have any one who is a Basmati pro? lol
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2001
1307 posts
42 upvotes
Neesa basmati is crap...worst...from No Frills. Costco has OK basmati.
All is not golde that outward shewith bright...lydgate
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
741 upvotes
Brampton
I had an Indian buddy who is always ranting about some elephant brand of basmati rice, with 1 or 2 elephants on the pack or something. i don't recall all the details, it's been a while
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2007
1109 posts
77 upvotes
Ah yes, the elephants. I've had that kind before and enjoyed it. Truth be told, every basmati I've tried was good, except Uncle Ben's. Even the american basmati at Independent/loblaws is good. I have enjoyed the Indian types slightly more, but not by a landslide. It's pretty much the only kind of rice my kids really enjoy. I have most recent;y bought a huge bag from Costco. I don't recall the brand name, but I just hope it's good, cuz we'll be eating it for years! haha.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
5550 posts
818 upvotes
craigdcan wrote:
Mar 30th, 2012 7:09 pm
Truth be told, every basmati I've tried was good, except Uncle Ben's. Even the american basmati at Independent/loblaws is good. I have enjoyed the Indian types slightly more, but not by a landslide. .
My findings as well. Right now we're working through some brand from Costco that was on sale, it's in a burlap bag with a zippered closure.
Mar 4, 2011
902 posts
265 upvotes
Kitchener. Ontario
Well, It's not on the brand of the Rice you buy. Personally I am able to tell the difference between how OLD the rice is. The older the rice, The bigger the rice will be as it requires more water and grows in size. I am indian so I eat it daily with lentils.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2001
1307 posts
42 upvotes
nayan97 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2012 9:38 pm
Well, It's not on the brand of the Rice you buy. Personally I am able to tell the difference between how OLD the rice is. The older the rice, The bigger the rice will be as it requires more water and grows in size. I am indian so I eat it daily with lentils.

I noticed some brands say "aged to perfection"...do you mean that OLD is better? And how the heck do you eat it with lentils...do you cook it at the same time?
All is not golde that outward shewith bright...lydgate
× < >