• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 10:35 am
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 23, 2016
271 posts
98 upvotes

Bath time

I just watched a video on bathing babies. Apparently they say just water is fine and no cream.

I hear a lot about nappy rash - does anyone here use preventative methods, or do you just apply rash cream if the baby starts getting red?

Thanks
S
22 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2356 posts
930 upvotes
I used Vaseline on my kids. It forms a barrier to keep the wetness away from their skin. If they started to get red even a little I would use a good diaper cream. It worked well for us. But everyone and every child different. Really you just try things and stick with what works for you. Best way to prevent anykind of rash is to change them often.

Also in the bath I would use a mild baby body wash.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2016
271 posts
98 upvotes
Thanks Momof3cuties - you mean Vaseline Petroleum Jelly or cream?
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13763 posts
4332 upvotes
We have used vaseline (petroleum jelly) since that's what the hospital told us to use. We never have any problems with diaper rash. Our daycare sometimes forgets to put it on and he gets a little red, so we just need to remind them once in awhile when they forget.

For bathing our little one we just use a baby soap (dove) that we apply onto a cloth, then clean him. We have used the body wash as well, but my wife prefers the bar soap.

You'll find a million different answers - there are so many different ways out there and some parents are very passionate. For example, I assume there are many that would not use vaseline and only creams.
Mar 10, 2010
848 posts
88 upvotes
Agree petrolum jelly or penaten are both good options, but only when a flare up is occurring, I wouldn't use these products all the time.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
13926 posts
3514 upvotes
Ottawa
My kid has eczema and we switch between Glaxo base and Cetaphil.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7207 posts
740 upvotes
GTA
We used a bit of soap (LiveClean for babies) when my little one was younger. Still use it most of the time although she insisted on picking up the "Paw Patrol" bubbles last time we went shopping.

My daughter was really sensitive when she was young and tried using diaper creams with a high zinc oxide percentage when she was having bad rashes. However, someone suggested coconut oil - we switched to that her rashes stopped.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Oct 27, 2016
149 posts
33 upvotes
Tell us about the age of your baby first. I believe there are ways to avoid these red rashes without using any cream or bathing gel.
Sep 3, 2013
631 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
My baby is 3 months and hasn't had any rash. I use honest and liveclean rash cream at night only so as not to disrupt sleep from diaper change. As for baths, I use just a bit of honest or liveclean tear-free soap.
Mar 24, 2015
532 posts
89 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I only used warm water for the first few months, then little by little started to introduce Johnson's baby naturals. We made sure to change their diapers frequently. I noticed it's when they stay in a dirty diaper for longer than usual that they start to have rashes.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
13926 posts
3514 upvotes
Ottawa
ckay1980 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 2:24 pm
I only used warm water for the first few months, then little by little started to introduce Johnson's baby naturals. We made sure to change their diapers frequently. I noticed it's when they stay in a dirty diaper for longer than usual that they start to have rashes.
Agreed and it was almost instant with our kid.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5118 posts
609 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 4:57 pm
Agreed and it was almost instant with our kid.
Yes, well they are sitting in poop, that is everything you body doesn't want, so the sooner they are out of it, the better.

For the most part we used either petroleum jelly, or this salve that my sister sell (Naturalpathic Doctor) which will cure 98% redness the first time. Both of mine Being boys, they have those spots where the twig and berries and sack will always stick together, this is always a spot where a little raw spot could break out. If all else fails, one night with some Desitin cleared anything the salve wouldn't.