• Nov 11th, 2017 4:37 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3316 posts
708 upvotes
Mississauga

Bathroom Reno Cost

I want to renovate my powder room and 2 bathrooms. I want to estimate cost before I think about taking on this renovation is within my current budget.

Powder room: tiles, exhaust, modern tankless Euro style toilet, vanity, mirror, light

Bathroom 1: tiles, exhaust, modern tankless Euro style toilet, vanity, mirror, light, and replace bath tub with standing shower

Bathroom 2: tiles, exhaust, modern tankless Euro style toilet, vanity, mirror, light, replace tub ensuite with freestanding oval bathtub (NOTE: standing shower was recently already upgraded in this bathroom so nothing to do there)

Tiles - $$$????
Exhaust (3) - $500
Toilet (3) - $4K
Vanity (3) - $4K
Mirrors (3) - $1K?
Standing Shower (1) - $1K
Stand Alone Tub (1) - $1500
Lighting (x3) - $500

Will material be around $15K with the tiles included? The only difficult thing I see is removing the tiles and putting the new tiles which I can get a relative handyman to do for cheap. Putting the toilets, vanity in should be straight forward? There won't be any plumbing change I think as the bathroom setup will remain the same. How much cost am I looking at for material?
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
37 replies
May 12, 2003
44 posts
11 upvotes
GTA
prices for material only!

Tiles - $$$???? Depends on the Sq footage. cheapesat around $2/sq feet all the way up to $30-35. so really depends.
Exhaust (3) - $500 Seems accurate. You could drop this to $300
Toilet (3) - $4K Are these gold? You can get 3 for around $600 total
Vanity (3) - $4K - Depends on what you are looking for. You can get 3 for as cheap as $1,500 if you want.
Mirrors (3) - $1K? Again, are these Gold? Go to Homesense and pick them up for $100 each
Standing Shower (1) - $1K No Idea
Stand Alone Tub (1) - $1500, $400-700 at HD or Lowes
Lighting (x3) - $500 Accurate
Oct 21, 2009
227 posts
40 upvotes
What size of vanities are you getting?
Decent single sink ones are around $1000 per piece.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3316 posts
708 upvotes
Mississauga
ssj4_ootaku1 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 2:39 pm
prices for material only!

Tiles - $$$???? Depends on the Sq footage. cheapesat around $2/sq feet all the way up to $30-35. so really depends.
Exhaust (3) - $500 Seems accurate. You could drop this to $300
Toilet (3) - $4K Are these gold? You can get 3 for around $600 total
Vanity (3) - $4K - Depends on what you are looking for. You can get 3 for as cheap as $1,500 if you want.
Mirrors (3) - $1K? Again, are these Gold? Go to Homesense and pick them up for $100 each
Standing Shower (1) - $1K No Idea
Stand Alone Tub (1) - $1500, $400-700 at HD or Lowes
Lighting (x3) - $500 Accurate
I'm thinking about something like this for stand alone tub in the one bathroom:

https://www.costco.ca/Jono-Komo-69-in.- ... 52534.html

I'm thinking about something like this for the three toilets:

https://www.costco.ca/Ove-Tuva-Tankless ... 28713.html
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3316 posts
708 upvotes
Mississauga
Bart_ wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 3:07 pm
What size of vanities are you getting?
Decent single sink ones are around $1000 per piece.
Small floating vanity for powder room. Double vanity for master bathroom and regular size single vanity for other bathroom.

Another question: do people put granite/quartz counter-top in bathrooms? If yes, do they get a new vanity and then replace the counter with granite/quartz?
Oct 21, 2009
227 posts
40 upvotes
Depending on your taste, you will be around $4-5k for all 3.
A friend just did his bath and they spend $8k on a vanity. But it all depends on what you like.

Yes, I have granite in my bathrooms. You could just replace the top, but if you have a builders-grade vanity, it will look like sh$%. Unless you also change the doors.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4737 posts
2310 upvotes
Edmonton
ar2020 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 3:09 pm
I'm thinking about something like this for stand alone tub in the one bathroom:

https://www.costco.ca/Jono-Komo-69-in.- ... 52534.html

I'm thinking about something like this for the three toilets:

https://www.costco.ca/Ove-Tuva-Tankless ... 28713.html
Holy crap! Pun intended...

But why a $1500 toilet? That's a third of your total materials budget?

I guess I've never met a bidet I liked that much...

ETA: And if you read the reviews of that unit, they're quite mixed. I'd go as far as to say negative.

C
Jan 15, 2013
699 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga
ar2020 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 2:32 pm
I want to renovate my powder room and 2 bathrooms. I want to estimate cost before I think about taking on this renovation is within my current budget.

Powder room: tiles, exhaust, modern tankless Euro style toilet, vanity, mirror, light

Bathroom 1: tiles, exhaust, modern tankless Euro style toilet, vanity, mirror, light, and replace bath tub with standing shower

Bathroom 2: tiles, exhaust, modern tankless Euro style toilet, vanity, mirror, light, replace tub ensuite with freestanding oval bathtub (NOTE: standing shower was recently already upgraded in this bathroom so nothing to do there)

Tiles - $$$????
Exhaust (3) - $500
Toilet (3) - $4K
Vanity (3) - $4K
Mirrors (3) - $1K?
Standing Shower (1) - $1K
Stand Alone Tub (1) - $1500
Lighting (x3) - $500

Will material be around $15K with the tiles included? The only difficult thing I see is removing the tiles and putting the new tiles which I can get a relative handyman to do for cheap. Putting the toilets, vanity in should be straight forward? There won't be any plumbing change I think as the bathroom setup will remain the same. How much cost am I looking at for material?
I just got my powder room and main bath renovated

Tiles - this really depends on your choice

Exhaust - right

Toilet - I dont know what Euro style toilets are but I bought 1 piece Kohler toilets for $350 each

EDIT

I mean, does it really make a difference? Your money, but christ, $1500 buys you approx 4-1 piece toilets that looks just as modern

Vanity - frames are about $500 low end and the actual tops all depend on your taste (which sounds expensive). I suggest you go to a countertop store that sells remnants for cost savings. I used IKEA vanities w/ ceramic top which cost about $500 ish for the set

Mirrors - you're expensive taste

Standing shower - are you talking about just the acrylic ones? 1k for the cheapo ones. I did my en suite where my marble base cost around $800 then sliding doors $2000

Tub - no clue

Lighting - sure

Save some money on paint, finishings like faucets/shower heads, bathroom fixtures, dry walls you'll destroy, bidets, etc
Mar 27, 2015
738 posts
176 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I remember hearing somewhere that the average cost of a bathroom reno (materials and hiring labour) within the GTA was $20,000.
Am I out to lunch on this one?
Dec 18, 2004
992 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 6:15 pm
I remember hearing somewhere that the average cost of a bathroom reno (materials and hiring labour) within the GTA was $20,000.
I do bathrooms , cost could be more . op looking for 40-60 k all in .
Last edited by TTony on Sep 28th, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 12, 2017
153 posts
78 upvotes
TTony wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 9:15 pm
How? Cost of material seems around $10 to $15k.
Mar 27, 2015
738 posts
176 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
TTony wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 9:15 pm
So then I am correct. The OP has one powder and 2 full bathrooms. That's $40K for his two bathrooms (2 x $20K) and then lets's say $10K for the powder. = $50K which is your half-way quote for the 3 rooms.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14112 posts
4575 upvotes
ar2020 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 2:32 pm
Have you looked at the install for your toilets? It looks like they require power run to them and I'm unsure if you need to reroute the water supply line.

You're missing other building material pieces for your bathroom. Will you have drywall repair? Will you need waterproofing? Will you need to beef up the sub floor?

I also don't see anything for your fixtures. If you are installing these fancy toilets I would assume your fixtures will match. Nice fixtures can run over $1000 for a single fixture. What about your light switches? Again with an upgraded bathroom would you really want to use the typical builder grade switches? Or use the Legrand Adorne switches? With your tile - will you have glass mosiac tiles that are very expensive?

There are far too many variables to be able to comment. You really need to price out what you're looking for to know, or know all of the details for what you're looking for. Otherwise the challenge is knowing the grade of what you're looking for - the faucets is a great example of something that can be $100-$1000.
Jan 15, 2013
699 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 6:15 pm
You're pretty darn bang on. I got quoted 11k for labour, I buy the materials.

BTW, I'm assuming OPs doing all of this as DIY? This could take him into Spring 2018 with all the disruptions, holiday, etc.
Mar 27, 2015
738 posts
176 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Did you go with your $11K quote guy? I need someone, anyone, they don't even have to be especially good.